PDA

View Full Version : not square

andyuk697
6th September 2009, 07:35 PM
hey all

after a bit of pratice welding i finaly got the courage to spot weld the first 4 pieces today, they are all cut perfectly to the mm and just cannot get all 4 corners to perfect 90 degrees square i have used welders magnet a digital angle setter and a solid steel 300x600 square to check them.
what am i doing wrong? :confused:

Andy

HandyAndy
6th September 2009, 07:42 PM
are you talking about the 4 main lengths in the base of the frame?
if so have you put the little blocks on your build table to hold everything still whilst you weld?

andy:)

RAYLEE29
6th September 2009, 09:28 PM
Also check diagonals and straightness of the tubing and obviously each pair of opposites should be exactly the same lenghth when held up against each other
Ray:)

andyuk697
6th September 2009, 09:37 PM
hi
thanks for the replys yeah its the first 4 pieces on the bottom rear part they are perfect lenth and each pair is identical lenth as theyre only tackt i can adjust slightly with my rubber mallet but everytime i adjust one angle it moves the other
also each angle diagonally across is the same somthings obviously out but i cant figure out what
if my hair was long enuff id be pulling it out lol

cheers Andy

HandyAndy
6th September 2009, 09:41 PM
suggest taking the tack welds off, then clamp each piece to the build table, check for true square before putting any more tack welds on,
maybe the table is not "true"??

andy

andyuk697
6th September 2009, 10:36 PM
i will try that tommorow thanks

Andy

alga
8th September 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty sure your problem is caused by the tack welds contracting when cooling.

AshG
8th September 2009, 10:53 PM
as andy said you have to clamp the tubes down

squbti
9th September 2009, 07:33 PM
i had the same problem when i started but soon found out the tools i was using where not so acurate so i went with the always reliable diagonals & very important to clamp down all the tubes.
cheers

andyuk697
16th September 2009, 08:58 PM
hey guys just an update i took all advise onboard and decided to take the frame appart make sure they were all cut perfect and filed the ends flat then fixed into place with wooden blocks checked diagonals ditched the set square and the angle setter and i am now upto tackling the front frame,

i thought i had cracked it first time untill i checked the height at the front and the drivers side was 7mm higher than the other lol i will put money on it being the 2 side pieces with the bend in being wrong am i right in thinking they can be bought ready cut i dont fancy wasting even more steel

cheers Andy

squbti
17th September 2009, 06:51 PM
yeh, the good old front frame:D it got me too. i hade to make my front fram twice but you know what they say :rolleyes: measure twice & cut once.
Cheers
Samy