PDA

View Full Version : Just won some alloys, will they fit?

Rik178m
8th September 2009, 11:05 AM
Cant get my head around the offset issue today. Just won some alloys on ebay pcd 108 offset 15. I know the offset needs to be 35-40ish. So my question is how do I get these alloys to fit or won't they?

slimtater
8th September 2009, 11:54 AM
"May" be a problem:

http://www.driverstechnologyassociation.co.uk/wheel-offset.htm

AshG
8th September 2009, 12:14 PM
they will stick out about 20mm further than a wheel that is the correct ofset. if you have wide arches on the rear it shouldnt be a problem

RAYLEE29
8th September 2009, 06:49 PM
Bumpsteer!!

Matthew
8th September 2009, 09:01 PM
Bumpsteer!!

I don't think that's right. Bumpsteer is caused when the steering rack isn't correctly aligned (or the right length), and doesn't have anything to do with the wheel offset. IF you ever measure it then you don't usually have the wheels attached anyway.

I think it does have some other effects though - something to do with how well the steering self centres I think.

Matt

Rik178m
8th September 2009, 10:13 PM
What exactly is bumpsteer?

If they dont work I'll just put them back on ebay.

alga
8th September 2009, 10:35 PM
Bumpsteer is the change of the effective length of tie rods due to the suspension travel. Nothing to do with wheel offset.
A wheel offset too low will shift the contact patch out of correct alignment with regard to the kingpin axis, thus increasing the scrub radius. The effect will be unsettled steering, exaggerated reaction to unevenness of the road, especially when braking.

Matthew
9th September 2009, 06:48 AM
If you want a more detailed explanation then this site http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13 has a good explanation together with instructions on how to measure and correct it.

Matt

RAYLEE29
9th September 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi,
I believe there is more than one way of causing bumpsteer but i may be wrong, ive been modding cars for nearly 30 years and have experience of people fitting wheels with too much offset.
if you move the contact patch too far away from the middle of the point where the kingpin inclination hits the floor you will adversly effect the handling
when you go over a bump the car will try to steer into the bump if thats not bumpsteer what is it??
anyone remember the carlos fandango ad with the anglia with oversize wheels!!
Ray:)

Bonzo
9th September 2009, 12:19 PM

That's a classic Ray.

Still makes me smile:D :D

Carlos Fandango (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo)

Trophy Blue
16th September 2009, 09:50 PM
Hi,
I believe there is more than one way of causing bumpsteer but i may be wrong, ive been modding cars for nearly 30 years and have experience of people fitting wheels with too much offset.
if you move the contact patch too far away from the middle of the point where the kingpin inclination hits the floor you will adversly effect the handling
when you go over a bump the car will try to steer into the bump if thats not bumpsteer what is it??

Using too small an offset will increase the scrub radius, not necessarily a bad thing until you get a blowout. It will increase the 'feel' of the steering, the self centring. It wont affect the bumpsteer, that is where the different geometry of the track control arm to wishbones will cause a steering input as the hub assembly rises and falls.

RAYLEE29
17th September 2009, 03:44 PM
as i said before you need to consider the centre of the contact patch to where the theoretical kingpin inclination line hits the floor and this will i assure you create a badly steering car if its too far out from what is intended

Chris Gibbs
17th September 2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo

RAYLEE29
17th September 2009, 08:22 PM
BRILLIANT Chris , I wish id found it first

Rik178m
23rd September 2009, 08:07 PM
Will 20mm really effect it that bad? Could put them back on ebay without a problem but I like the alloys.

Do we have a final verdict? sell or use? :confused:

Matthew
23rd September 2009, 09:16 PM
If it was me then I'd keep them until I had a chance to drive the car with them on and see what it felt like. You can always sell them later if they don't work out.

Matt