PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Bushes

Jimbob
16th September 2009, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know where some appropriate phosphur bronze bushes can be got for the pedals?

Has anyone used anything different? I was thinking of being clever and putting in some super smooth ball bearings. Possibly...

James

davidimurray
16th September 2009, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't go for proper PB1 type Phospor bronze - it is designed for really high load shafts - you would probably be better going with something like SAE660 bronze which will be more than adequate.

Don't use Oilite bearings - they are ideal for rotating shafts, but if they are used for slow rocking shafts the self lubricating properties don't work - I found this out a on a set of suspension rockers!

You could always try something like off-the-shelf Igus bearings (iglidur range) I used these in a quite a few jobs and they are brilliant!

I am very tempted to try some of this stuff and machine myself- http://www.shopforplastic.co.uk/oil-filled-nylon-75-c.asp

londonsean69
16th September 2009, 08:55 PM
I have used PTFE rod, Teflon (trademark name)

I then found out it can be a pin to grip one of the worlds slipperiest materials in a lathe!!

Seriously, it turns OK but it is easy to dig into.

I am pretty certain I have some spare if anyone needs a bit. I also have some black nylon round bar, no idea on Dia. but will measure.

I am very tempted to try some of this stuff and machine myself- http://www.shopforplastic.co.uk/oil-filled-nylon-75-c.asp

Looking at that page, there is a big gap between 25mm and 50mm. I think (haven't got book to hand) we need 28mm bushes.

Edit - scrub that, just checked book and bushes are 22mm OD. The PTFE I have is 25mm OD and Approx 300mm Lg.Allowing 30mm for a pedal bush, plus a bit for parting off and holding in the lathe, I reckon that it could only be split into 2.

Who wants 150mm ish of 25mm OD PTFE??

The black nylon is a bitch to machine, goes all stringy, maybe I need to use a different clearance angle or something. It's 40 OD (well, 41 but plastics are usually oversize) and approx 380mm Long. I'll prob keep a little bit for myself (just in case I need a little bracket or boss) So there's about 250mm looking for a home

Small beer token to cover postage gladly accepted.

Sean