PDA

View Full Version : Front Lower Damper Brackets

Spikehaus
22nd September 2009, 08:43 PM
I received a shiny new set of dampers from Dampertech today, and in the excitement I decided to drive down to the workshop in my lunch hour to try one on the car. But.....The front lower wishbone brackets require reshaping to allow adequate clearance.

Has anyone else had to modify the shock brackets?? I believe I will also have a minor adjustment on the rear uprights. :(

dogwood
22nd September 2009, 08:46 PM
Yes, I had to mod mine to get the proppa clerance
Just looking, see if I got a pic of it

David

Spikehaus
22nd September 2009, 08:48 PM
Cheers David.

Did you adjust the springs or leave them as factory set?

Bonzo
22nd September 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Nick

Yes, I too had to remove some of the radius on the lower shock mounts to prevent them from making contact with the body of the shock. ;)

I don't think that this will in any way impair the safety of the bracket.

If I were going to make another set of wishbones, i'd probably square notch the corners & then put a small radius on the sharp edges.
After all, that part of the wishbone is not exactly contactable as far as the IVA is concerned :) :)

HandyAndy
22nd September 2009, 08:57 PM
yup me too, just took a file to them to round them off by a approx 2mm on the corner/edge.

andy:)

dogwood
22nd September 2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry crabby pic again
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/Picture004.jpg

But as Ronnie said, you have to trim the inner radius down a bit on the bracket.

I'm still fiddling with my shox, but at the moment I've got them set at about 10mm up from their slackest setting. Ie screw collar just touching the spring with no weight on it. Seems to give me a good ride without bottoming out.

The rears I'm having some probs with, got them set hard, and they still bottom out at times..

David

Spikehaus
22nd September 2009, 09:04 PM
Ronnie,

If you got an odd call at 11am today, it was my stupid car that called you! Somehow the bluetooth satnav decided to dial your number when I was programming it whilst rushing to a meeting! - must add i was not driving at the time, promise!

Dogwood

Where did you get the plastic covers from? Is that part of the SVA requirement? I have not seen them for sale anywhere?

Bonzo
22nd September 2009, 09:12 PM
Ronnie,

If you got an odd call at 11am today, it was my stupid car that called you! Somehow the bluetooth satnav decided to dial your number when I was programming it whilst rushing to a meeting! - must add i was not driving at the time, promise

No worries Nick, I was out in the workshop & wouldn't have heard the phone :D :D

Don't you just hate it when technology decides it knows what you want to do :confused:
Even I don't know that most of the time. :o

dogwood
22nd September 2009, 09:22 PM
Dogwood

Where did you get the plastic covers from? Is that part of the SVA requirement? I have not seen them for sale anywhere?

Sorry mate, had a little smile at that one. (no offence..:D )

The bottom part is a cut down motorbike fork gater. the top is a pushbike inner tube...
HTH...lol

David

Bonzo
22nd September 2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread :o :o

Where did you get your headlamps from David ??

I will be looking to get some largish chrome / polished stainless ones for my build. :cool: :)

AshG
23rd September 2009, 12:02 AM
i had to take a bit off my front brackets too. i also believe frankie boy had to do the same. if you order ali body shocks you dont get the problem

dogwood
23rd September 2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread :o :o

Where did you get your headlamps from David ??

Hi Ronnie.

They are KC Daylighter 5.1/2" stainless spotlights.
I knicked them off my 4x4, and replaced the lens with headlights.
I have no idea how good the lights are, I've not used them in the dark.
But the shells are about 4 years old, but pollished up good as new.

HTH, David

Bonzo
23rd September 2009, 09:50 AM
Cheers for that David. :)

Clever idea, I bet those nice shiny light backs make for smashing secondary rear view mirrors ;) :cool:

Sorry for pinching your thread Nick :o