PDA

View Full Version : Diff mounts

Rik178m
26th September 2009, 07:33 PM
Could I get away with 4mm instead of 5mm thickness steel?
Can only find 4mm at work

londonsean69
26th September 2009, 07:47 PM
I vaguely remember that Chris mentioned he was thinking of specifying 10mm, instead of 5mm.

Sean

dogwood
26th September 2009, 07:49 PM
Not recommended, there is a lot of strain ot these plates.
If compleatly stuck, the at least put a bracket at the back of the diff to help support it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/CopyofPicture010.jpg

David

Rik178m
26th September 2009, 08:00 PM
I'll have to search harder then. Thanks for the quick replies :D

dogwood
26th September 2009, 08:11 PM
I beleive 3ge can supply them ready cut.
If no the look up your local lazer cutting shop.

I wouldn't make them myself again,
cost more than getting them ready cut.

just my opinion
David

Rik178m
27th September 2009, 07:37 PM
Doesn't cost anything if you can scrounge the steel from the cut offs and make them at work ;) Very tempted to buy the laser cut parts but I'm on a very tight budget!

londonsean69
27th September 2009, 07:40 PM
If you can get the steel go for it. Thicker is OK as well, mine are 6mm (cost me a pint:D)

As for the cutting out - if where you work has a plasma cutter then you are laughing.

Failing that, I used hole saws in a drill press to start the lightening slots, then joined them up with a jigsaw. Bit of filing and sorted.

Sean

Rik178m
27th September 2009, 08:21 PM
We do indeed have a plasma cutter. Shame we don't have a laser cutter or cnc. The lathe as alot of play in it also which is annoying. Could possibly mill the holes.

londonsean69
27th September 2009, 08:47 PM
The plasma will p**s it. I am assuming you work for a firm that does steel fabrication, in which case you will have better kit that the average DIYer. 5mm plate is nothing to a decent plasma set (40A and above)

If you are any good with the plasma you could do it freehand, or if worried, make a template in MDF (it's only for 2 uses) although you need to work out the size of the plasma tip, then cut parts of the template oversize, and some parts undersize (external is undersize, internal (cutouts etc.) is oversize)

Milling would also work for the holes/cutouts.

My lathe had a bit of play, new leadscrews and nuts in the topslide and cross slide sorted that out

Sean

Rik178m
27th September 2009, 09:05 PM
Kinda yeh, don't really want to mention the names incase I shouldn't be using the bits I am. :eek:

The plasma cutter will go through way thicker then 10mm. I'll have some practice and make a template.

Think our lathe needs more then that changing and works too tight!

londonsean69
27th September 2009, 09:14 PM
Kinda yeh, don't really want to mention the names incase I shouldn't be using the bits I am. :eek:

The plasma cutter will go through way thicker then 10mm. I'll have some practice and make a template.

Think our lathe needs more then that changing and works too tight!

Just google "Plasma Cutter Templates". Miller has some good info on their site. But, if you are OK with the plasma then do them freehand and fettle once cut out.

A plasma is gonna probably be my next big tool purchase. That or an AC/DC tig set:D And to think, I only 'play' in the garage.

Sean

Rik178m
27th September 2009, 09:30 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooo tig set! I want!