PDA

View Full Version : Low Volume Car Manufacturer

spud69
27th September 2009, 12:07 PM
Does anybody know whats involved in getting registered as a low volume car manufacturer, i've searched all over with DVLA and VOSA and Google but can't find anything.

Would save a lot of work with IVA and registration.

Thanks...Andy

Big Vern
27th September 2009, 12:37 PM
There are some references to this in the IVA manuals. Low volume manufacturers have to work to tighter IVA regs as they are aimed at new, turnkey vehicles or mass produced vehicles modified pre-registration. From memory I think a low volume producer has to make between 50 and 250 units per year to qualify. The (single) BIVA is easier for the individual and for volumes below 50. The low volume thing came in to allow companies making hearses and ice cream vans etc to avoid the full type approval which would include expensive destructive testing.
HTH. BV

spud69
27th September 2009, 03:21 PM
There are some references to this in the IVA manuals. Low volume manufacturers have to work to tighter IVA regs as they are aimed at new, turnkey vehicles or mass produced vehicles modified pre-registration. From memory I think a low volume producer has to make between 50 and 250 units per year to qualify. The (single) BIVA is easier for the individual and for volumes below 50. The low volume thing came in to allow companies making hearses and ice cream vans etc to avoid the full type approval which would include expensive destructive testing.
HTH. BV

Cheers Vern, i'll have a look into the BIVA

fabbyglass
27th September 2009, 04:54 PM
Would think by registering as a kit car firm you are covered especially if it's full builds

spud69
27th September 2009, 04:58 PM
Would think by registering as a kit car firm you are covered especially if it's full builds

I think i'll visit the DVLA next week, after the tax disc rush, and enquire. I have registered a Ltd company with Company's House as a full build kit car manufacturer and components fabricator and seller. Just wonder how much it would cost to have them type tested.

I understand other kit manufacturers do it this way.

Just need to find some public liability insurance if anybody has any ideas. Don't need employers or design liability yet.

Andy H

fabbyglass
27th September 2009, 05:00 PM
You would need to work to current regs on emissions no matter engine is used

fabbyglass
27th September 2009, 05:02 PM
MSM used to cover kit firms but not sure they still do

spud69
27th September 2009, 05:40 PM
MSM used to cover kit firms but not sure they still do

I've just looked on their website and they seem very appropriate, will give them a ring in the morning.

Thanks Mark....:)

Big Vern
28th September 2009, 03:35 PM
Just to follow on from my comments above, low volume producer is for new vehicle or modification of new vehicles pre-registration. ie limited edition based on existing mass produced model. If you are just producing a kit for someone else to build then they would still have to go through the (B)IVA.
HTH. BV