PDA

View Full Version : Post Build Upgrades?

Tatey
29th September 2009, 09:47 AM
What is everyone thinking of doing to their cars once they have finished their builds? Aside from the obvious engine upgrades of course :D.

My plans so far are to looking into a much more accurate fuel gauge system, which weighs the fuel tank, instead of using a float inside the tank.

And to have a look into making heated bucket seats, potentially using thin copper pipe (possibly brake lines?) embedded into some thin padding and running a water pump to pump hot water from the engine through the seats.

I originally thought about using electric blanket style material, but i could see that all going wrong if it rained :eek: :rolleyes: :D

At the minute these are obviously just ideas.

Simon

londonsean69
29th September 2009, 09:53 AM
I won't be needing to upgrade my engine, the one I am picking Sunday will be plenty fast:D

I like your idea about heated seats, but would it not be a bit easier to just wear a heated waistcoat (for motorcyclists). They just plug into 12V.

Sean

HandyAndy
29th September 2009, 09:58 AM
my plans for upgrades are as you say an engine upgrade, a new dash with individual gauges & generally nice parts that i can,t afford during the actual build of the car, ie better headlights (carbon ones ) & poss new wheels & tyres.
Then it,ll be time to start building the single seater :eek: :D

instead of heated seats just wear some thermal longjohns :D are you planning on using your car thru the winter?

cheers
andy

dogwood
29th September 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm planning a compleat strip down and rebuild.
I want to modify the chassis,.......You'll have to wait and see.:D
So appart from changing the engine, I'm the same as Andy.
Change all the donor stuff and cheap bits for nicer ones.

David

deezee
29th September 2009, 12:59 PM
:D I agree, whats wrong with thermal clothing, its good enough for the Arctic afterall? Its not exactly an elegant solution to warmth, piping engine coolant into your seat. As for weighing the fuel??

I think I'll replace all the items that are there to satisfy the IVA. Put a nicer dash and gauges in, change the steering wheel, loose some trim. Replace items with pedestrian unfriendly versions. Things like that.

londonsean69
29th September 2009, 01:07 PM
Replace items with pedestrian unfriendly versions. Things like that.

What, like the spikes Clarkson fitted to his Fiat police car:D

Sean

Tatey
29th September 2009, 01:41 PM
:D I agree, whats wrong with thermal clothing, its good enough for the Arctic afterall? Its not exactly an elegant solution to warmth, piping engine coolant into your seat. As for weighing the fuel??

I'm more interested in the challenge of completing it, rather than the outcome. Also in regards to weighing fuel, i hate having an inaccurate fuel gauge, i'd much prefer one made with some nice shiny led's or an actual 'litres left' kind of output, which i know actually works and is accurate, instead of a float, which lifts up, thus creating a resistance, which goes to something that heats up a bi-metallic strip, thus causing a needle to turn.

davidimurray
30th September 2009, 08:03 PM
I'm hoping to swap the Pinto out for a C20XE.

What is the problem with the normal float type sender?