PDA

View Full Version : New build.....

davielad
30th September 2009, 04:26 PM
hi guys,
i have just took my first steps into my build.
i got my car, 2.0i pinto, in the last two weeks.
i am also after ordering a full chassis flat pack kit from HandyAndy (thanks for all the help andy).
here goes to spending the next two years in my shed........:)

davie

HandyAndy
30th September 2009, 04:45 PM
welcome to the madhouse world of the Roadster :D

your chassis flat pack will be with you soon then you,ll be hiding away in your shed enjoying your build :cool:

all the best & thanks for your order.

cheers
andy:)

martin62
22nd October 2009, 09:39 PM
Does this class as a start got steel yesterday 240 mile round trip donor stripped and build table made.

gingea1pom
22nd October 2009, 09:43 PM
Martin,

Yes it does, get yourself over to the announcements page and tell us all about it!

Ginge

davielad
26th October 2009, 05:06 PM
good stuff martin62,
where did you go for the steel? and how much a length?

davie

martin62
26th October 2009, 09:59 PM
good stuff martin62,
where did you go for the steel? and how much a length?

davie

heaton buckley dublin 25mm aprox 8.50 euro 19mm 9.00 euro

davielad
1st November 2009, 09:07 PM
hi all,
i ve just returned from my shed, after spending all day there.i now have wat looks like a chassis.
and yes, i did sit in the drivers seat.................:D

Pictures are on my signature

thanks
davie

HandyAndy
1st November 2009, 09:41 PM
well done Davie, its looking great, :cool:

hope you are enjoying your build.

all the best

andy

davielad
1st November 2009, 09:44 PM
i am andy, thanks.
i can't wait to get back at it next weekend.,
i probably wont be able to;) , may have to do and evening or so out there if i can get away with it!!!!!!!:D
davie

londonsean69
1st November 2009, 09:45 PM
Looks like you are making some good progress there.

HandyAndy's chassis pack looks smart.

If I were to ever do another one, I would be buying in a pre-cut pack.

Cutting all of those profiles sure got boring after a while.

HandyAndy
1st November 2009, 09:54 PM
go for it Davie, at least you,re not out on the town, ;) being in the shed/garage is far better time spent :D

may i say to all that Davie has been very patient as the delivery firm that i sent the pack with took far too long to deliver the kit, & it was one of the big courier companies too, so i,d like to say thankyou to Davie for his understanding & wish him every success with his Roadster build, hope one day you,ll take me for a spin in your car.

all the best:)

andy

davielad
1st November 2009, 09:55 PM
your right sean,
its so easy to put it together, an absolute dream.
its the only way, and handyandy's workmanship and customer service is top class.

davie

Bonzo
1st November 2009, 10:21 PM
Looking good Davie :cool:

Surprising how quickly it all comes together :)

One thing for sure, I wish I had the option of a flat pack chassis kit when I started my build ;)

I'll be sure to follow your build progress :)

AshG
1st November 2009, 10:48 PM
cant beat a precut pack. takes the stress out of firstly finding and working out the steel then getting all the angles correct. andys packs are actually better than the one i got ages ago from armoto as he actually cuts all the front frame parts for you including the 13degree notched bit, which saves a big headache. also helps that andy has built a roadster meaning he knows all the little bits that need that extra attention making an even easier build for the customer

martin62
1st November 2009, 11:19 PM
cant beat a precut pack. takes the stress out of firstly finding and working out the steel then getting all the angles correct. andys packs are actually better than the one i got ages ago from armoto as he actually cuts all the front frame parts for you including the 13degree notched bit, which saves a big headache. also helps that andy has built a roadster meaning he knows all the little bits that need that extra attention making an even easier build for the customer

hi davielad must be somthing in the air not as much progress as you today ,using hacksaw none the less very satisfying

davielad
2nd November 2009, 07:41 AM
thanks guys,
i like seeing progress and i was very happy the way yesterday went. the bottom rails were very tough to square, but once they went together it was simple and fast.
it is the most satisfying jigsaw i ever put together, with a big pile of steel just getting smaller and smaller.

"andys packs are actually better than the one i got ages ago from armoto as he actually cuts all the front frame parts for you including the 13degree notched bit, which saves a big headache"

yes ash, it made life very easy

"hi davielad must be somthing in the air not as much progress as you today ,using hacksaw none the less very satisfying"

good stuff martin, hopefully we will see two roadsters on the road soon.

thanks,
davie

martin62
2nd November 2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Davilad was outside all weekend also done a nice bit of work..

Pictures on my sig

http://picasaweb.google.com/aidan62moo/ROADSTER?feat=directlink

hi all,
i ve just returned from my shed, after spending all day there.i now have wat looks like a chassis.
and yes, i did sit in the drivers seat.................:D

Pictures are on my signature

thanks
davie

davielad
5th November 2009, 08:34 AM
looking good martin,

is that your locost? how long have you being building it?
lookin sweet............:).what engine have you in it?

davie

martin62
5th November 2009, 10:00 PM
looking good martin,

is that your locost? how long have you being building it?
lookin sweet............:).what engine have you in it?

davie

hi davie yes that is my locost ,dont ask how long(about 7 years)life got in the way.It has a 1300 crossflow took it for a sneeky drive on sunday with neices boyfriend got it up to 60 handled ok.Looking foward to next summer

davielad
21st November 2009, 06:03 PM
well i nearly have the whole chassis together except the suspension brackets.
i finding them hard to make, i.e. get the holes to line up after they are bent.
anyone have any idea's?

also which way up are the diff plates CP10(?) mounted? the holes are offset.

thanks,
davie.

HandyAndy
21st November 2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Davie,
sounds like you have been busy :cool:

most folk tend to buy in the suspension brackets purely for the reason you state, i admit i bought mine pre made so not sure how to get the holes to line up, maybe bend the plates then drill the holes, not sure if that makes it easier tho:o

sorry i can,t remember off hand which way CP10 goes, if my car was at home i could check but its 10 miles away from home, maybe someone else knows for sure?

cheers
andy

davielad
22nd November 2009, 09:20 AM
thanks andy,
i think i may buy them yet, as mine look nothing like the pictures on ebay!!!!!
i'll give them another go first. i have another idea i'll try during the week.

davie

HandyAndy
22nd November 2009, 09:37 AM
no prob, some of the other plates are tricky to make yourself, so if you do buy them in might be worth getting some others at the same time, 1 in particular is the diff hanging plates ;) .

all the best with your build, i,ve been looking at the photos on your signature, looking good.
i,ve just sent you a pm too.

cheers
andy

Hoybi
22nd November 2009, 02:23 PM
Hello Davie,

Just an idea that has helped me.
I had the brackets laser cut and bent at a local workshop.

In the drawing I made the holes 5 mm in diameter. So before welding them on I decided with the help of the jig where the holes had to be. Some were milled a few millimeters offset.
I recall in the forum a discussion of having to weld a plate of 2 mm between bracket and chassis. So in my way I made a small detour around this problem.

You can also start from rectangular section rails 40 x 40 and 50 x 50 and cut the shape "already bent" . The weld of the tube is the side to be cut away though.

swe7
22nd November 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi all.

I am just on with the suspension brackets and made them in two pieces. Did them first after the book and the hole whas 3mm to high. Dont cut all before you made one perfect. Did turn a distans in the lathe. And bolt them togeter and tack them in place. Cant show you picture yet becouse i sucs wiht computers.(and writing in english). Must ask the children how it works.
But i fund out its a lot easier to fabricate them like that if you dont got all the tools or macines.

Peter

squbti
22nd November 2009, 03:54 PM
Hi Peter, I live in Västervik/sweden ,good to know theres another roadster builder close by. good luck on your build.
cheers
samy

swe7
22nd November 2009, 04:44 PM
Thank you Samy.
You have a message.

Peter

davielad
22nd November 2009, 06:25 PM
thanks guys,
you've givin me some good ideas. i think i have some 50mm box section at home.........
and i never thought of making them in two pieces.
i got a really good price from a lad on ebay but its the waiting for them that puts me off............i have no patience.
thanks again,
davie

swe7
23rd November 2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Davie.

Now i have pictures for you (i hope). Doing them in two pieces.

Peter.

davielad
24th November 2009, 06:37 PM
doing them in two pieces is the way to do it, very tidy swe7.