PDA

View Full Version : How to get an engine on an engine stand

Tatey
5th October 2009, 09:00 AM
I'm going out to buy myself an engine stand from machine mart later on. I was just wondering how you go about getting the engine (1.8 cvh) onto the engine stand, without an engine hoist or similar?

My plan was to install the engine on the stand while the engine was on the ground and then with a help of a friend or 2, tip the stand upright. Does this sound at all sensible to anyone? :eek:

Cheers :D

davidimurray
5th October 2009, 10:44 AM
I got the cheaper of the two machine mart stands. The way i did it was to remove clutch and flywheel. You then have a plate with arms on it and a big bit of tube sticking out the back. On the stand there is a slightly larger bit of tube you slide the other bit of tube into. So I basically bolted up the first unit to the back of the engine, then lifted (with engine crane) the engine up until the tube just slid into the main stand, then there is a pin that drops through the two tubes locking them in position. I imagine you could do the same lifitng the engine by hand - but make sure you stop the stand from rolling away. If you have a look at my pics below you can see some of the stand in use.

Cheers

Dave

adrianreeve
5th October 2009, 11:44 AM
Did thesame as David above, but with no hoist, me and a mate just lifted the engine and bracket onto the main part of the stand.

Cheers

Adrian

Jimmyd
5th October 2009, 08:14 PM
I lifted the CVH engine (minus clutch, flywheel, manifolds and alternator) by myself, set it my bench and bolted it to the stand from there. But I wouldn't recommend it, how I didn't do my back in or drop the thing I don't know.

Idiot really.

J

dogwood
5th October 2009, 08:21 PM
I lifted the CVH engine (minus clutch, flywheel, manifolds and alternator) by myself, set it my bench and bolted it to the stand from there. But I wouldn't recommend it, how I didn't do my back in or drop the thing I don't know.

Idiot really.

J

Don't think it's your back you need to worry about,
it's the 2 dangly bits just below your belt....:eek:

deezee
5th October 2009, 08:25 PM

Idiot really.

J

Reminds me of how I got my engine into and then out of, my works van, bringing it home. Why my spine didn't fold like a paper bag, is beyond me. I used some 4ft lengths of timber to lever it up onto boards then slide my engine into the van.

snapper
5th October 2009, 09:23 PM
Two or more people or a crane.
You could make up a hoist with scaffold as long as you brace the legs to stop them spreading, or if you have a garage i used 2 small lengths of scaffold attached across two roof joists with another cross bar of scaffold and a wire ratchet hoist.
I used one roof beam that runs over the double brick support pillar and wedged the roof joist.
I could lift the front of a car with setup.

oldtimer
13th October 2009, 12:01 PM
I bought a cheap chain block and tackle, hung from a ceiling joist,for such jobs and just move things around underneath.

AshG
13th October 2009, 04:19 PM
im fortunate to have an engine crane. but i also have a chain block which works very well over the roof joists in the shed.

machine mart do a good 500kg one for £45 it makes heavy jobs easy and can also double up as a cave man type winch if you get stuck.

aerosam
18th October 2009, 12:54 PM
im fortunate to have an engine crane. but i also have a chain block which works very well over the roof joists in the shed.

machine mart do a good 500kg one for £45 it makes heavy jobs easy and can also double up as a cave man type winch if you get stuck.

Second that! I have a 2 ton chain block - overkill i know but it was cheap on ebay (£35!), I used it to drag my donor BMW 5 series shell off the drive - with no wheels on it, easy as pie.