PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Reservoir Cleaning

davidimurray
9th October 2009, 12:02 PM
Knowing that this group cotains a resourceful bunch - here's a challenge for you. In typical old car fashion my reservoir has gone all cloudy and yellow inside (you can barely see the level!). Anyone know of a good way to clean it internally?

Cheers

Dave

Bonzo
9th October 2009, 12:39 PM
Personaly I would prize the bottle from the master cylinder.(the last thng you need is solvents/cleaners entering the MC as it is likeley to FUBAR the seals )
You may or may not need to replace the bottle seals after doing this, it would depend how prerished or brittle the seals have become.

I would then either soak the bottle in some Jizer or the likes or place the bottle in some very warm/hot water. Add some washing up detergent & a generous helping of domestic bleach. Then soak overnight.

Hot soapy water & bleach will often work wonders of clear plastics ;)

It may be the case that UV, heat & sheer age has got to the plastic & no amount of cleaning will bring it back to life. :(

AshG
9th October 2009, 02:45 PM
call brakes international and get a new reservoir they are usually about £5-6 plus postage

Personaly I would prize the bottle from the master cylinder.(the last thng you need is solvents/cleaners entering the MC as it is likeley to FUBAR the seals )
You may or may not need to replace the bottle seals after doing this, it would depend how prerished or brittle the seals have become.

I would then either soak the bottle in some Jizer or the likes or place the bottle in some very warm/hot water. Add some washing up detergent & a generous helping of domestic bleach. Then soak overnight.

Hot soapy water & bleach will often work wonders of clear plastics ;)

It may be the case that UV, heat & sheer age has got to the plastic & no amount of cleaning will bring it back to life. :(

axle
27th October 2009, 01:35 PM
It would be a good idea to change the seal as I would suspect the dicolouration might be due to seal being deteriated. As for cleaning I would use methylated spirit as it will evaprates and leaves no moisture at all. You can buy it from the local pharmacy!

Hope this is of some help.