PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder

mark
10th October 2009, 03:17 PM
Just bolted my pedal box into the car and bolted in the master cylinder. Its from a 1991 cvh and is sitting at an angle as in pics below.

Will this be ok for iva or do i need a different mc with a tank that will sit horizontal?

I dont want to start the brakelines if im gonna have to change the mc, i would rather start with the correct one first.

thanks

Bonzo
10th October 2009, 04:13 PM
I do not see any reason as to why it would not be ok for the IVA :)

The master cylinder is fitted at the same angle as it was on the donor Sierra, the way you have it fitted is as it should be ;)

mark
10th October 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks Ronnie I was hoping that would be the answer!

I know it would definately work but it did actually sit more or less level in donor car.

dogwood
10th October 2009, 05:13 PM
I think it wil be OK as well.
You may want to check the float level switch still works though.

David

chriseyj
30th November 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi I also have a master cylinder with the slanted tank I believe the servo is also on an angle in the car making the tank level. Has anyone else used one like this?
Checking the level will be inacurate because of the angle, don't really want to angle the back plate either but have seen someone do this on locostbuilders.
Thanks Chris.

AshG
30th November 2009, 12:49 PM
its totally fine like that. its the resevoir that is on the slant. the mc wil be fine running horizontal. if you that worrired about the level then order a new resevoir pot that hasnt got the slant.

at the end of the day if there is fluid in it the brakes will work.

the only suggestion i would make about the pictures above is that you fit some large 2mm thick spreader washers on the bolts on the inside to spread the force out on the 3mm plate. it reduces flex in the plate quite significantly. also dont forget to use nyloc nuts on everything to do with steering brakes pedals suspension and running gear.

chriseyj
30th November 2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, I thought it should be ok. I read this thread and thought hang on mine is on the slant as well.
Thanks for the tips about using the large washers, I've read the flexing can cause stress on the brake lines.
Cheers Chris

davidimurray
30th November 2009, 07:10 PM
As long as the holes into the master cylinder are covered with some fluid you should be fine - try and ensure there is sufficient fluid in there to allow for the pads wearing, but don't fill it so full that there is no room for expansion. You will also need to make sure that the level swithc still works.

jps
20th January 2013, 12:44 PM
its totally fine like that. its the resevoir that is on the slant. the mc wil be fine running horizontal. if you that worrired about the level then order a new resevoir pot that hasnt got the slant.

at the end of the day if there is fluid in it the brakes will work.

the only suggestion i would make about the pictures above is that you fit some large 2mm thick spreader washers on the bolts on the inside to spread the force out on the 3mm plate. it reduces flex in the plate quite significantly. also dont forget to use nyloc nuts on everything to do with steering brakes pedals suspension and running gear.

I have just realised the same as pointed out above re: angle of the donor part in the book design pedal box. realise it should all still work as long as there's enough fluid in there but is fitting a new (ideally remote) reservoir possible or would it need a new master cylinder too?