PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley, Drive Shaft and Drum Removal

Tatey
11th October 2009, 10:43 AM
Im having issues removing my crank pulley, the drive shafts from the drum hubs, and 1 of the drums doesnt seem to want to come off.

Has anyone got any tips on removing any of these?

I've read that you should try and stop the crank pulley from rotating by jamming something under it to stop it, but whenever i do this the engine just lifts up and im back at square 1, also once the crank pulley has been removed, also how do i go about removing the clutch once i've removed the crank pulley?

The drive shafts really doesnt seem to want to shift, as there is quite a lot of rust. Any ideas or tips?

Cheers

flyerncle
11th October 2009, 11:01 AM
Pm me your address and I will sort it for you.

Tatey
11th October 2009, 11:04 AM
Cheers Paul, you've been a great help :D

HandyAndy
11th October 2009, 11:39 AM
Cheers Paul, you've been a great help :D

Ditto..... Paul is a great help, & if you leave things with him.... in a matter of minutes it,ll be stripped & on the floor :eek: :D

thanks for the help you gave me too Paul;)

andy

Chris Gibbs
11th October 2009, 11:48 AM
I always think that that is the difference between amateur and professional mechanic.
Most people will study what they're going to do,select a tool and work methodically through it. The professionals just seem to descend like a blur on the job and it's done!!

My Brother-in-law is like that, it's a pleasure to watch him work (especially if I've got a cuppa and he's working on my car!)

Cheers

Chris :)

flyerncle
11th October 2009, 12:28 PM
I have this little grin on my face sitting here typing this,Chris implying professionalism and thanks from other builders. Its what I do day in and day out and as I have said previously if I can help I will, just shout loud enough.

Thanks Guys/Chris.:o

And this little tip works wonders :Get an old valve, bend it at 90 deg about 2 in from the head and it makes a great flywheel locking tool.

NEroadster
11th October 2009, 08:35 PM
B****y hub nuts just tried undoing mine tried using some 19mm box through the studs to stop the hub rotating ended up making the box section into a bannana. Might leave that for now and come back to it when I figure out a better way of restraining the hub. Should have undone them when they were still on the sierra.

londonsean69
12th October 2009, 08:39 AM
B****y hub nuts just tried undoing mine tried using some 19mm box through the studs to stop the hub rotating ended up making the box section into a bannana. Might leave that for now and come back to it when I figure out a better way of restraining the hub. Should have undone them when they were still on the sierra.

Put em in a vice and get the impact wrench on them:D

I'm not using a donor, just buying bits as I go along, and this is how I did mine. If they are still on the car, then box section and the impact wrench.

They provide very short, concentrated bursts of torque, rather than the huge moment of turning a big breaker bar does.

Remember that the Left Hand (passengers) nut has a left hand thread on most models of Sierra

flyerncle
12th October 2009, 08:58 PM
Bring them to me James I will sharp sort them for you.

NEroadster
13th October 2009, 09:40 PM
Cheers Paul you around Friday Afrternoon can pop over after work

flyerncle
14th October 2009, 05:49 PM
Finish at 2:30 Fri,if you want to shoot along tomorrow night after 5 I will be doing something for another builder, you are welcome to join in.

Tatey
14th October 2009, 05:56 PM
Finish at 2:30 Fri

Flyerncle.....you slacker :D :p

Once again cheers for your help, i look forward to meeting you again tomorrow night.

flyerncle
14th October 2009, 06:00 PM
Bring your boxing gloves you cheeky young pup !:D

NEroadster
14th October 2009, 06:18 PM
Unfortunaterly tomorrow I will be enjoying the views of the A1 as I travel to Leicester and back so I will not be home until 7 at the earliest and then the boss is going out for the evening so I've got the kids. However I finish work at 12:30 on fri if thats any help. So by my reckoning that makes you a workaholic paul :D

flyerncle
14th October 2009, 06:21 PM
No probs James,just pop in on Friday afternoon and I will try and sort it for you.
Workaholic, no chance!

flyerncle
15th October 2009, 07:04 PM
James just turn up when you finish.