PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy steel

dogwood
12th October 2009, 05:39 PM
For those of you making your own suspension brackets.
Something to watch out for.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/locojpeg021.jpg

Using the same jig I used to make my first set of brackets.
And using the same type of steel, but from a different supplier.

As you can see they cracked by the bend.
I tried a different length, but the same thing happened.
I tried some of the original bracket steel, no prob's bent fine.
So beware of buying cheep steel, and check the bends for signs of cracking before welding them on.:eek:

David

Bonzo
12th October 2009, 06:30 PM
Good point David ;)

I have had strip steel do this sort of thing. Not often but the quality does tend to vary quite a bit :eek:

Probably safer to cut critical components from plate as the quality tends to be of a higher spec ;)

Talonmotorsport
12th October 2009, 07:05 PM
What you probably have there is a strip cut from a hot rolled sheet. If the edges are a crisp cut don't even bother to try and put a 90 degree bend in it. We used to have this problem alot at the sheet shop and in fabricating uprights for various things. If in doubt go for 40x3 bright mild cost a fair bit more but at least it won't do that!

dogwood
12th October 2009, 07:29 PM
What you probably have there is a strip cut from a hot rolled sheet. 40x3 bright mild cost a fair bit more but at least it won't do that!

Thanks for that.
Bright mild was what I ordered, was a bit cheap though.
Next time I'll go to Parkers. (Much as dislike the bloody shop staff)
At least I know what I am getting...and getting what I ask for:rolleyes:

David

AshG
12th October 2009, 07:49 PM
the trick to getting good service at parkers is to call before you go to get a quote ref. when you arrive at the counter give them that number and they are nice as pie. have tried going in without the number and they dont wanna know you. the staff seem to be like barcode scanners.... no code no joy.

londonsean69
12th October 2009, 08:00 PM
I went on the site, worked out what I needed and saved the quote.
I then decided to add a bit more, and paid over internet

Got a call the next morning asking if I was OK with quote - the guy was well pleased when I said I had added to it and paid already

The service from the delivery guy was impeccable as well

gingea1pom
12th October 2009, 08:01 PM
I am happy with my first encounter with Parkers, ordered the steel last week and it turned up when they said it would today at 9am.

All the box section for the chassis build delivered £115 including the Vodka.

Cheers Ginge

dogwood
12th October 2009, 08:34 PM
I am happy with my first encounter with Parkers, ordered the steel last week and it turned up when they said it would today at 9am.

Cheers Ginge

Don't get me wrong guys.
I have no probs with Parker Steel.
Always got what I wanted, and the delivery guys have been great.

It's the bloody shop staff I have the problem with.
"Do you have a suitable vehicle?"
"Yes I have a Transit van"
"Oh that's no good you need a truck"
"Why"
"It won't fit into a van"
"Really......Well it did last time"
"Well I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to let you take it, because it is dangerous"
"Well you are a F****** n **** **** *******rant rant rant.

Driver delivered my stuff, no problem.
Straight into my van, then I drove it 450 miles down here.
And you know what.....I didn't kill anyone....:mad:

David

gingea1pom
12th October 2009, 08:58 PM
Dogwood,

You make me smile, I could just imagine the conversation.

flyerncle
12th October 2009, 09:06 PM
Not trying to be a smart arse,but steel that is folded has a grain just like wood and in the slabs before rolling it is marked by paint in the corner denoting the grain.It looks like fracturing across the grain and as Talon said probably cut from sheet and not a strip.

Talonmotorsport
12th October 2009, 09:07 PM
There are 12 steel and ally suppliers within 50 miles of where I am which is usefull. I'll phone up on my mobile at 9:30-10am, shop around and see what companies give the best price,then give the phone numbers and the order to the good lady wife who will then call them on the land line and manage to knock 2-5% off their price and even get it delivered for free! :rolleyes: ;)

dogwood
12th October 2009, 09:19 PM
Not trying to be a smart arse,but steel that is folded has a grain just like wood and in the slabs before rolling it is marked by paint in the corner denoting the grain.It looks like fracturing across the grain and as Talon said probably cut from sheet and not a strip.

Smart arse....:D
Just checked the original suppliers..
Looks like they get their steel from China.
So yea you could be right, either that or got gods knows what cr*p in it.

David

flyerncle
12th October 2009, 09:20 PM
Leave my ar5se out of this ! :rolleyes:

Rice ?

Next block of steel you see on a truck have a look in the corner.