PDA

View Full Version : Pinto Engine code!?!?!?

rapidtornado
16th October 2009, 10:14 PM
Just bought a 2.0 pinto SOHC engine and the code stamped on the block housing is WJ07823.

I've checked the Ford Engine code ID chart on the Burton Power WWW but there appears to 2 years for this code May 98' and Sept 79'

Is there any other way of identifying? Trying to workout if it's unleaded or not

Cheers
Matt

AshG
16th October 2009, 10:20 PM
it cant be may 98 because they stopped making the pinto well before 1998 the pinto was dropped around 1989-1990 i believe and replaced by the dhoc then cvh then the zetec in 1993-1994

99.9% of iva inspectors will know its a pre 92 engine and the dvla will know from the engine code

rapidtornado
16th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the quick response Ash, the guy I bought it off said he thought it may have come out of a Capri so I'm guessing the 79' date is the one.

There's seems to be a lot of discussion about the 205 block and the fact it's a good platform for boring out to 2.3 capacity, do you know if this applies to earlier blocks as well?

Cheers

HandyAndy
16th October 2009, 10:28 PM
i,m no engine builder /tuner but with the money you would spend on a pinto engine to produce more power you might as well buy a brand new 2ltr zetec engine , cost approx £650, thats my plan after Iva when my cvh engine "pops" ;)

andy

Big Vern
16th October 2009, 10:33 PM
As AshG says pinto production ended well before '98. 1989 for cars and 1992 for transit vans I believe. As for unleaded it's a popular myth that late pinto's were all unleaded. The only pinto's fitted with hardened valve seats were for gas conversions and this was very short lived as valve seats had a tendancy to drop out - a problem that it would seem has not been solved by the aftermarket conversions especially if big valves or high lift cams are used!

HTH BV.

PS even the 205 block is only good to 2.1 unless you go for a stroker crank and a zetec would be much cheaper! some racers do bore to 2.3 but this bore is bigger than the bore needed when sleeving the block and such a block would have a very short life - may be 100hrs at the most....

rapidtornado
16th October 2009, 10:34 PM
Good point...
I'm still a newbie to all this kitcar and engine building but got a bargain on fleabay for a 2.0l pinto for £11.50 and just thought I'd overhaul as a little project for the winter. My mate has an Engineering workshop and has done a bit of engine head/block work in the past so just tinkering about really....

frankie boy
16th October 2009, 10:45 PM
Hi
The 20liter pinto will throw haynes roadster along very well? even in standerd state
Put a fast road cam and a pair of weber 40 or 45's and well i say no more. Im not sore wot bhp i get but i did get a 4.2 sec 0 to 60 at a local race wot you bring.

gingea1pom
16th October 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi
The 20liter pinto will throw haynes roadster along very well? even in standerd state
Put a fast road cam and a pair of weber 40 or 45's and well i say no more. Im not sore wot bhp i get but i did get a 4.2 sec 0 to 60 at a local race wot you bring.

Jeeeesus, 4.2 sec. I had now idea it would be that quick. That has made me relax slightly about haveing a 20 year old lump under the bonnet.

rapidtornado
16th October 2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Ginge
Just been reading your build diary.... looking good so far!!!

If it weren't for the fact we only had a new baby arrive a week ago I think I would be getting my board marked up as well but probably not the best timing for me at the moment, busy cleanning up sh1te and puke :o

Good luck with your build and I'll keep checking in progress

Matt

HandyAndy
16th October 2009, 11:01 PM
If it weren't for the fact we only had a new baby arrive a week ago I think I would be getting my board marked up as well but probably not the best timing for me at the moment, busy cleanning up sh1te and puke :o

Matt

congratulations on the little one :cool:
all the best to your family, :cool:

andy

gingea1pom
16th October 2009, 11:04 PM
All right Matt

Ah those days are just a distant memory.:p

My Mrs would have a fit if she knew I was giving relationship advise:eek: and on second thoughts I’m not going to!

You work it out and let us know how you are getting on, all the answers are here.

Where are you in the country?

rapidtornado
16th October 2009, 11:13 PM
lol.... got to get the priorities right at the mo ;)
I'm based in Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire

gingea1pom
16th October 2009, 11:20 PM
Yes keeping the better half on side is a good thing.

You are 2 hours away, I am waiting for a builder close to me as my Mrs is starting to get board hearing about my welding antics and bands saw blades that won’t go on the band saw, etc.