PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone bush/ crush tube issue!!

vincenzo
17th October 2009, 09:37 PM
Can't see how the wishbone will work as the crush tube is set slightly back from the bush as shown in the attached picture. It is like this on both sides. My understanding is that the suspension bracket needs to "pinch" the crush tube but my bracket is going to pinch the bushes first!!!??? Advice needed!

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/vinbob_photo/?action=view&current=PA040160.jpg
Vince

spud69
17th October 2009, 10:17 PM
Can't see how the wishbone will work as the crush tube is set slightly back from the bush as shown in the attached picture. It is like this on both sides. My understanding is that the suspension bracket needs to "pinch" the crush tube but my bracket is going to pinch the bushes first!!!??? Advice needed!

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/vinbob_photo/?action=view&current=PA040160.jpg
Vince

You're right Vince, you're crush tubes need to protrude from the bushes slightly. The bushes do give a little bit but should be atleast flush with the crush tubes. Maybe the thickness of the powder coating on the suspension brackets has pushed the bushes out. Grind them down and seal the ends maybe..

AndyH

Talonmotorsport
17th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Measure every thing with either a steel rule or a vernier. Things only have to be 0.3mm + 0.4mm + 0.5mm over size and your 1.2mm out, some times 'that'll do' just don't work.
Compare the crush tube length with the internal bracket size, if it's too short you could put the correct size washer in to make up the difference. If the crush tube is the correct lengh then it's either the tophat of the poly bush is too wide or the steel bush tube is too long and needs trimming back.

AshG
18th October 2009, 01:12 AM
money on the bush tube being too long. do the wishbones fit in the suspension brackets ok? if they do i would be tempted to make a larger set of crush tubes before i trimmed down the bush tube.

did you make the wishbones yourself?