PDA

View Full Version : Type 3 gearbox

Rik178m
19th October 2009, 04:54 PM
Hi all, cant find any info on a ford type 3 gearbox! My mate had a mexico 4speed in his westfield so while looking for one of those (2000E is it?) I found the above. I already have a type 9 5speed but I'm open to options.
Would the type 3 be any good? Is it close ratio like the mexico box? I'm not after a really high top end from my zetec.

londonsean69
19th October 2009, 05:51 PM
Not a huge amount, but Burtons have this - linky link (http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/type_3_gearbox.aspx)

Also google is your friend (http://tinyurl.com/ygdw56f)

Rik178m
19th October 2009, 05:57 PM
Yep identified the box with the burton catalogue and google didnt yield anything interesting

frankie boy
19th October 2009, 10:07 PM
I would stay with the type 9. Very early sierra’s can with the 4 speed type 3 as did my first project. You will mostly drive around in third gear with the type 9 but will be comfortable on the motor way in fifth gear at 80 up to 120. It’s a good strong box. Was thing why i did fit the type 3. The type 3 clutch are come out at 90 degrees and hits the transmission tunel unlike the type nine at 45 degrees.

Big Vern
19th October 2009, 10:38 PM
Its 'like a 2000e box' but most have the normal (wide) ratios. If you want 2000e/GT ratios then you need to find a 2000e/GT box. Its difficult to tell from the outside as the GT box was available with single rail selector from '68so look identical externally. Post '70 type 3 boxes have a longer first motion shaft to suit the cable clutch belhousing. This must also be remembered when converting a 2000e/GT box to cable clutch - the belhousing will need machining or the first motion shaft wont engage properly in the spigot bearing and the gearbox will be shot in no time - I know as I found out the hard way :-(

jps
5th February 2013, 10:16 AM
Rik - i've been doing some gearbox identifying recently and reckon my gearbox is a type 3 (out of a 1.6 EMAX Sierra). Did you end up using a Type 3 in the end?