PDA

View Full Version : Can you weld a cage to your chassis?

LeonN
21st October 2009, 06:54 PM
Are all Roll bars bolted on? can you weld them on? is a full cage welded on?

dogwood
21st October 2009, 07:11 PM
You probably can weld the roll cage on.
Depending on how it's made.

You could have probs with the bodywork.
Personally I would bolt it on.

But that's just me....:rolleyes:

fabbyglass
21st October 2009, 07:39 PM
If going racing then welded cage is best way, well I would anyway.

LeonN
22nd October 2009, 11:21 AM
T is moor for track time than out and out raceing. I thought as mutch though just was not shore if there was a loophole that made regestering for the road hard if it wure not boulted dawn with the corect thread and size of bolt.
Thanks chaps.

londonsean69
22nd October 2009, 12:03 PM
I would leave it out for IVA, it's only another thing for them to look at and scrutinise

LeonN
22nd October 2009, 12:27 PM
If I do that will I not then have to go threw making and bolting a loop to the car only for the iva to then take it of and have to reeweld the schassis and reepaint it all. Seems like a lot of work. Pardun me if I am ring but if I bild the cage to blue book why wood it nor pass iva?

londonsean69
22nd October 2009, 01:21 PM
So do you intend a fully welded cage, or a bolt in??

Neither should present any problems, it's just another thing for them to look at.

I don't even think you have to have a loop, although I stand to be corrected.

Unless I was going to track it, I wouldn't bother with a full cage. Thats me personally.

As for doing it to the blue book - do you think the IVA inspector will be checking against that? I doubt it, if it looks strong enough, and the welding is to a good enough standard (in his opinion) then it should go through. If it is bolt down, then use grade 8.8 bolts, or, even better, 10.9 or 12.9.

Just make sure you pad the edge of any gussets to avoid the radius rule

LeonN
22nd October 2009, 03:07 PM
I entend to do a fully welded cage. I am allso toting with the idear of replaceing two of the vertical schassis rails with the frunt cage legs. I might do sum scetchis later and take photoes of them. See wot you all think. I canot do CAD.

jasongray5
22nd October 2009, 03:14 PM
I think the Indy-R has a full cage welded into it.

Some owners complain that the front vertical leg of the cage, impinges on the cockpit area.

So replacing one of the vertical chassis rails, would probably be a good idea, as it will save you at least 25mm

Jas

LeonN
22nd October 2009, 04:33 PM
Grate minds think alike jason. Or do fools seldom differ.

Tilly819
26th October 2009, 02:41 PM
Iv just done mine pritty much to book spec, using ash's hoop and welded it in.

Tilly

LeonN
26th October 2009, 10:29 PM
ok so no boults for you just a standard book hoop welded on? that mite be a way to go. then weld in the rest of the cage after the iva.

londonsean69
26th October 2009, 10:35 PM
ok so no boults for you just a standard book hoop welded on? that mite be a way to go. then weld in the rest of the cage after the iva.

I would rather keep mine as a bolt on, it would just seem to make life easier for me.

I can't remember what your original post said before you edited it, but I'm not too sure why you want a full cage? They are a pain in the arris to get in and out of. A necessary item when racing, but for road use??

You need to work out where it will spend most of it's life - on the road or on the track? For someone of my height, a full cage on a car that is used mostly on the road woult be a total ball ache