PDA

View Full Version : Prop hight

LeonN
23rd October 2009, 11:58 AM
I asc this becaus I am youseing a BMW engion and diff and need to know haw to mount them all. The prop will be leavel with the car as will the engion be leavel with the car and the diff. So one size. That of the prop hight shuld allaw me to work out all 3 bracket pares. Diff, box and engion. Can anyone help?

flyerncle
23rd October 2009, 04:19 PM
As you are using BMW parts Leon it may be easier to fit the lot in temporarily and see how it looks for height and fit etc a bit of trial and error.
One forum member has fitted beemer and there are pics on here somewhere.

RAYLEE29
23rd October 2009, 04:32 PM
I think Chris's brother in law did an extra wide car with bmw power and there is someone else too
Ray:)

LeonN
23rd October 2009, 05:19 PM
I intend to sort of dry fit the lot this weekend. I gess the only vital things are. That that all run in a line and the oriontation of the output shafts on the diff. Is this in the middle of the rear suspencion bushes, for the arms. As vuwed from the side?

flyerncle
23rd October 2009, 05:46 PM
On my build I have a center line on the board,The diff pinion center is in line with it so everything else would be in line as well and this keeps the prop straight too.

LeonN
23rd October 2009, 05:54 PM
SAme plan with the centerline. It's is the hight that concurns me. Haw high must the output on the diff be? Allso haw fare forth or back is it. Think I asked the wrong question.

flyerncle
23rd October 2009, 06:00 PM
I would have to measure it,but its not at home and is in the garage I work in.
Someone will know of the builder in Poland who has done it I am trying to find him and will post if I do.

LeonN
23rd October 2009, 06:20 PM
That's grate. Tar

flyerncle
23rd October 2009, 10:57 PM
I think it was Longerr,they built a roadster with a 318 motor not sure if they used box and diff but they had plenty of pictures.

Good Luck.

LeonN
23rd October 2009, 11:09 PM
I think that yoused a custom prop to link a BMW box to siarra diff. Think.

flyerncle
23rd October 2009, 11:15 PM
Quite possible but send him a pm and see what they say, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Good luck.

LeonN
23rd October 2009, 11:37 PM
If this makes sence.

My main conseun is that my drive shafts will be at thewrong angle when the car is sat. Ie. The dif is mounted to high or to low. After thinking some moor. Aslong as I put the output of the diff imbatween the rear arm bushes it will line up with the wheal hubs on the horizontal. Must the drivesjafts leavel in a vertical plain when the car is stood?

flyerncle
24th October 2009, 03:02 PM
I see what you mean and I dont think it's a major problem,to my way of thinking and how I would do it is,center of shaft in line with center of hub.Looking from wheel to diff with shaft in line.
If you can set the ride height at about 4 inches see if the shaft is going to touch anything as it moves through its full travell up and down.

LeonN
24th October 2009, 03:43 PM
Cool. That makes me a lot moor confident. Tar man.

flyerncle
24th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Anytime Leon thats what we are all about.:D