PDA

View Full Version : It Has Begun!

car.mad
1st November 2009, 10:44 PM
started todayish

spent the last week tidying out the garage :eek: (yes it was that bad) built the build table friday evening and finished it yesterday then a trip to machine mart saw the introduction of a shiney new mig welder and some other tools :) and an empty wallet :(

spent the whole of today marking out the build table

tomorrow (and probably most of this week) will see me going on the scrounge for some steel (because im cheap i dont want to pay for it) :o

looking for a bigger welding gas bottle aswell (see build pics) anyone know of a place that sells rather than rents gas bottles of this size or simular?

Bonzo
1st November 2009, 10:51 PM
spent the last week tidying out the garage :eek: (yes it was that bad)

Sounds tidy to me, I have spent the last 20years trying to get my workshop tidy & it's still mayhem in there :D :D

Great news on your start, that's the first big step in the right direction :cool:

HandyAndy
1st November 2009, 11:00 PM
well done on your first steps of building your Roadster :cool:

if ever you come up to the north east i have a 3ft tall gas bottle you can borrow long term ( finish your car );)

good luck with the rest of your build.

andy

andyuk697
2nd November 2009, 07:36 PM
alrite mate nice to see another yorkshire lad on the forum maybe we can start our own convy to some shows
not sure about oxy acetelene bottles but i bought a co2 bottle and it says carlsberg on the side lol a scrap yard maybe a good place to beg

Andy

londonsean69
2nd November 2009, 11:12 PM
You may be able to acquire a pub CO2 bottle from a friendly landlord (do you have a local where you spend a bit of wedge??)

CO2 can produce a pretty hot weld pool though, so is a little bit harder on thin steel, like the 1.6 box. Argoshield Light (or Cougar) is nice to use.

There is a firm that does rent free 9l bottles, just pay £40 deposit, but you might get hit for the delivery charges - adams gas (http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/stat_ind_product.aspx?ctrl=argon) because they are in Kent, although they use TNT to deliver them.

Now, I get lost outside of the M25, but these 2 'might' be local to you, although I have no idea what they offer/prices etc.

The details are on the 'gas suppliers' thread from the mig welding forum here (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9334)

Energas Ltd
Salmon Pastures, Attercliffe Rd, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S4 7WZ
Tel: 0114 273 1730

TC Welding Supplies Ltd
The Chapel, Carrwell Lane, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S6 1NR
Tel: 0114 234 1149

Hope those help

car.mad
3rd November 2009, 05:30 PM
cheers sean will give those a try and see what the costs are, where i work gets gas (usualy acetyline) from a place just down the road but i think they only do the huge bottles but there meant to be cheap, dont really have the space for a massive bottle at the moment.

cheers for the offer andy but i dont like borrowing things off people because i have some daft, careless friends which are in the garage with me most of the time re-building motorbike engines and wot'not and i simply dont trust them with gasses of any sort (especialy when its not mine), thats why theres a padlock or 2 on the cupboard with acetyline in it ;)

been on the phone to a local steel supplier today, they are coming back to me with some prices on full lengths but they have a couple of scrap bins which they will let people rummage through for a small charge so im off to check that out tomorrow so hopefully some cheap steel (mainly for welding practice and another little project) will be coming my way :)

had a bit of a play with the welder yesterday evening and im majorly!!! out of practice so before i start cutting up and "trying" to weld paid for steel i neeeeeed more practice. :o

VladD
4th November 2009, 12:57 PM
We need to find a way to mate the welders with a music player of some sort, so that the A-Team theme plays every time the welder is switched on. :D

car.mad
5th November 2009, 10:58 PM
We need to find a way to mate the welders with a music player of some sort, so that the A-Team theme plays every time the welder is switched on.

hmm i have a crazy electrical genius of a college tutor who i could set to work... could get a bit anoying after a while.

visited a steel supplier yesterday and got some prices bit steep i think (£12 per 6m length of 25x25... tryed the 'im a poor college student' bit to get a bit of discount, which didnt work... but they did let me look through there scrap pile which was good, managed to get quite a bit of 10mm plate and a short piece of 25x25 box section out of them for free which im quite pleased about.

today iv been practicing my welding again and im pleased to report iv got the nack back :) only problem is i broke the hammer and the vice (its a shockingly bad vice) trying to break the welds which is obviously a good thing... now i need a trip to machine mart to spend more money on another vice and hammer shaft :(

also paid a visit to a guy my dad knows who is a metal worker (and knows his stuff) gave me some handy welding tips (shame he dosnt have a scrap pile) and should be placing an order for some steel in the next week or so :) (the 'im a poor student' bit worked this time :) )

another visit was to the supplier of gas we use for work... they are a BOC dealer so i ran away as fast as i could... got all my mates looking out for a bottle for me but not having much luck at the moment.

Jake

Bonzo
5th November 2009, 11:34 PM
The last time I broke a vice, I was trying to remove a driveshaft nut !!??

Bloody vice wouldn't grip the thing. With the assistance of a long length of pipe, I gave the vice a turbo tweak.

One almighty bang later, one of the jaws went flying through the air & landed on the bonnet of a customers car :eek:

It was an accident dammaged car that I was repairing, Good job the front of the car was well covered over but it still left a small dimple. :o

The conversation went something like this. " Here, I didn't notice that dent when I bought the car ".................... " Oh that one "........." I expect the recovery boys done that when they loaded it on to the transporter " :rolleyes: :D

Keep up the good work & keep us posted on your progress.

thwang
6th November 2009, 08:46 PM
hi car.mad
is that sunny emley near clayton west by chance

londonsean69
6th November 2009, 10:39 PM
I gave the vice a turbo tweak.

Turbo Tweak - love it, must remember that:D

car.mad
7th November 2009, 12:17 AM
hi car.mad
is that sunny emley near clayton west by chance

it is, why do you ask?

ohh and its not the jaws of the vice that broke was the internal screwwy bits, there all fixeded dow (big hammer and some brute force and ignorance) :)

Bonzo
7th November 2009, 10:24 AM
Turbo Tweak - love it, must remember that:D

Yes, I have an assortment of long bars & pipes for every occaision. :eek:

Never a big fan of the Jeremy Clarkson MF hammer routine, I much prefer the It will yield or break one :o :D

car.mad
7th November 2009, 07:18 PM
Yes, I have an assortment of long bars & pipes for every occaision.

Never a big fan of the Jeremy Clarkson MF hammer routine, I much prefer the It will yield or break one

hehe hammers are fun, have all mine lined up and for some strange reason there named aswell :o

another little update... I HAVE MONEY! so i can buy some steel, went to a scrap yard today to weigh in a load of stripped copper wire i spent ages doing but it was WELL worth it... for 60kg of copper i got £210 then another £26 for 9kg of ciopper pipe :D propper chuffed all my mates were taking the mick saying whats the point and you'll get nothing for it... whos smiling now?

will be paying a visit to a steel supplier on monday/tuesday to order the steel and onother visit to a welding shop to buy a 'propper' mask.

well chuffed with today :D

Jake

Bonzo
7th November 2009, 07:33 PM
That is the way to do it ;)

Done exactly the same

Weighed a pile of scrap in. This paid for 3 sheets of alloy & still had change :cool:

Locosting at its best :) :)

car.mad
22nd November 2009, 09:24 PM
UPDATE....

finally got the steel on saturday morning and then a trip to machine mart saw the arival of one of those evloution fury 3 saw thinggys (the little one) which is bl**dy evil!

set to yesterday afternoon and got all the BR's cut. with some hand pains and shouting at things (not the best start)

this morning got up and realised i should still be in bed (had a party last night) went into the garage and remembered why i should still be in bed, was broken glass and tab ends everywhere so i started by cearing up then set to tacking the BR's together which went quite well.

then the front frame began! cut the bottom piece fine but what a bas***d FF2 and FF3 are, made 2 c**k ups got one of them right first time (after making them out of some scrap wood first) but the second one 2 attempts later is still wrong so ill do it tomorrow when i have some more energy and patiance

quite happy with progress so far could do with some more hands though because mine are killing me :(

Jake

gingea1pom
22nd November 2009, 09:57 PM
The FF’s are a baptism of fire. What you learn here comes in handy when you get to the angled seat back frame.

Enjoy.

Bonzo
22nd November 2009, 10:01 PM
Know the feeling well Jake.

Some of those compound mitres FUBAR'd my brain big time :eek:

I have been working with steel most of my working life :o

Guess your head just needs to be in the right place at the time ;)

Trouble is with me is that I tend to work on autopilot & my brain is thinking about seveal jobs down the line :rolleyes:

HandyAndy
22nd November 2009, 10:41 PM
The FF’s are a baptism of fire. What you learn here comes in handy when you get to the angled seat back frame.

Enjoy.

i have made quite a few chassis kits & the front frame & seat back rails still give me grief if my mind is not " on the job in hand" :eek: :D

cheers
andy

car.mad
24th November 2009, 09:25 PM
another lil update...

been at it again monday night and tonight, got the front frame done (or so i thought) last night, then had the afternoon off college today so i set to with the uprights and TR1 & TR2 got U3, U4, U5 & U6 on then TR1 & TR2 they all flew on straight and nice fits :D

The i set to with U1 & U2 and realised id made a complete bo**ocks of the front frame!

I have no idea how this has happened because for every single piece iv cut so far iv measured, checked then measured and checked then measured and checked again before i cut them! somehow iv managed to get it too tall at one end (3mm) and i think that iv tacked FF2 & FF3 on slightly wrong so im going to re-make the whole front frame with yet more checking. just so i know its right.

but other than that tis all going good, should be ready to order some more stuff in a week or so

anyone have any advice on the front frame would be much appreciated

Cheers

Jake

ozzy1
25th November 2009, 12:50 AM
There is a whole guide listed under chassis,page 5 5th link from the bottom there are some files also posted there by ashG.

car.mad
29th November 2009, 12:20 AM
since this morning (ish) iv managed to get the front end sorted and started on the back i have the SB1's in place and am on with the diagonals down from them to the BR's now

all in all another quite productive day had an hour or so off to put a new amp and subs in my road car which wasnt that fun because some muppet had put too big a fuse in the amp previously and blown a connection so had to improvise and used a bit of wire to bridge the gap.

should get a few more pieces in tomorrow but im taking it really steady at the moment because i have some sort of illness which is playing havock with my ever decreasing brain capacity :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jake

car.mad
29th November 2009, 09:42 PM
managed to get some more done today, have the basic rear end of the chassis complete now, tis all level and lined up.

wont be doing much this week as i have run out of welding gas (not got a big bottle yet) so i need to save some pennys before i can do much more. will atleast give me a chance to do a few other things iv been meaning to get on with

heres a couple of photos of where im at so far

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00075.jpg

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00076.jpg

Cheers

Jake

gingea1pom
29th November 2009, 09:53 PM
Jake,

Looking good, all neat and tidy.:D

That is one big shadow board you have their my friend:p

Bonzo
29th November 2009, 09:57 PM
Looking good Jake :)

Tis a real bummer when the gas runs out :eek: :rolleyes:

Coming along nicely though :cool:

car.mad
29th November 2009, 11:42 PM
Jake,

Looking good, all neat and tidy.:D

That is one big shadow board you have their my friend:p

only because i have no gas and i live int garage so had to think of somthing to do. will be a dump again in a week or so :)

HandyAndy
30th November 2009, 10:37 AM
looking nice Jake, nice one :cool:

cheers
andy

car.mad
9th December 2009, 07:06 PM
upydatey

got a bit more done, have most of the first part of the chassis done now and have done a little bit on the rear frame

have only the 4 19x19 diagonals to do on the main part of the frame the steel is ordered just waiting untill i can have the use of the work van again.

have ordered the rest of the 25x25 box aswell, i did initialy order enough for the whole chassis but i made a bit of a mess of the front frame the first time round so i had to do it again.

now im on the scrounge for 3mm and 5mm plate as it is really expensive. just out of interest how much did people pay for the 3mm and 5mm plate if you did pay for it at all?

all good fun so far, really enjoying the build. even all the filing and making fit and all the rest of the things that i thought would anoy me. the forum is really useful lots of good advice and helpful people.

more pics soon.

Cheers

Jake

LeonN
9th December 2009, 07:51 PM
Regards your jurny for 3mm plate and the likes.

I am luckey I ges as I work as a fabricator naw in a big workshop so I got all my plate for free. Hawever like anyone elce that turns up at the workshop if I had just asked the Forman for the plate it wuld have cost me a few quid not mutch but sumthing. I worked ot quick though that behind the many gilateens at work us a pile of offcuts, oftern in youesfull sizes. If sumone turns up asking to poke around under the masheans for ofcuts thay can have them for nothing.
It's a laboreous task. Picking threw all thows bits looking for apropreat stuff but it saves cash. In true locost style. Be polite and your sorted.
I wuld hawever recomend if time is preshous, ask for a strip or two of 40mm x 5 mm of a sheet.

car.mad
10th December 2009, 08:57 PM
a couple of latest piccys

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00079.jpg

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00079.jpg

car.mad
9th February 2010, 11:24 PM
has been a while since i'v been on here a few things have happened...

got the 19x19 box and the rest of the 25x25 picked up

done some of the back end but stalled due to lack of 3mm plate

also finished the transmission tunnel :) (made for MT75 box)

also found a place to get the plates cut for free :) college has its uses.

realized i'm going to have to buy the 3mm plate as nowhere seems to want to let me root through their scrap bins :(

now i'm trying to decide what to do about the 5mm plate because there is only a small amount needed i'm not sure if i should buy it or buy the parts from Saturn or some were else???????

will also be buying the suspension and shocker mounts can't seem to find anywhere with a press to fold them.

will put some pics up soon

EDIT: anyone able to convert sketch up drawings into CAD format DXF files i think they were asking for. not done the drawings yet, just wondering if this is possible?

cheers

Jake

twinturbo
9th February 2010, 11:42 PM
Ya may as well pay somone like Saturn, It may be more expensive ( possibly ) than trying to scrounge scrap and find somoen to fold it. But you will almost certainly get a better product from one of the manufacturers, and supporting them means they will hopefully be arround to supply help and parts when you want that bit that you realy cant get made by the local peeps..

TT

car.mad
10th February 2010, 07:21 PM
latest pics
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00091.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00090.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00089.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00088.jpg

AshG
10th February 2010, 07:57 PM
get your gas from energas. they do big big bottles for £35 with no rental charge!! i know they are big but the cost saving compared to buying all those little bottles is huge.

car.mad
10th April 2010, 02:00 PM
another lil update

I now have a massive sheet of 3mm plate at home which i should hopefully be getting cut at college when we go back after Easter, until then I'm pretty much stalled on what I can do with the chassis! after that it will be suspension mountings then painting but that's at least a month or two away.

on Thursday afternoon i went to pick up a nice shiny (old) 2.0l Zetec black top engine :) saw it running last Saturday and its mint! no smoke, not breathing heavy, no rattles or anything, it was out of a car from the scrappage scheme, came out of a focus which had done 136000 miles! Paid £200 for the engine, engine wiring loom and fusebox, ECU, transponder and key. well chuffed with that :)

that's all for now here's some pics

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00108.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/jake_hornsby/DSC00107.jpg

car.mad
2nd July 2010, 07:34 PM
been a while since i'v been on here or done anything as i am skint due to the robbing B******S that call them selves car insurers!

since last post i managed to get a sheet of 3mm plate cut at college on there fancy water jet cutter, saves me a lot of time money and effort!

not really been able to do much on the car its self as i now need suspension mountings which will be ordered this weekend (hopefully) as well as some more welding gas and a sheet metal folder (may make one???)

stripped the engine down, took the sump off to have a check and happy to report its all good under there :) then took the head off a couple of weeks ago and had it skimmed down, (think they took 1.25mm off it, more compression :D) needs a couple of new valves, contemplating doing the whole set but at £9 each its not a cheap job! next for the engine is head gasket kit, timing belt kit, water pump and some paint... i want to make the engine match the car which i'm still unsure on the colour so that may have to wait a bit longer.

will hopefully get myself back in the garage this weekend and get something done :)

Jake