PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Colour

londonsean69
3rd November 2009, 08:45 AM
Righty ho Guys (I don't think we have any Girls:confused: )

Over the next couple of days I will be painting my chassis, although will have to repaint areas after welding in engine and gearbox mounts.

I am in a bit of a quandry regarding what colour to do it?

I have refurbed all the running gear, and that is either black or silver (Wishbones, drive shafts = Black - Hubs, Uprights = Silver).

Final colour scheme will be black bodywork, possibly with a white stripe

Should I do my chassis Black, or Silver, or something totally different?

It will be rolled on, rather than sprayed, as there are more gaps than material, with a brush used to work it right into any joints.

I am erring on Silver, so is the woman, but I only listen to her when I need something;)

Bonzo
3rd November 2009, 08:49 AM
Silver would contrast nicely with Black ;)

Mind you, this is coming from the numpty that painted his chassis bright Red :eek: :o :o

VladD
3rd November 2009, 09:00 AM
I plan to paint mine British Racing Green to match the rest of the car.

RAYLEE29
3rd November 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi, mine is satin black and looks nice but the only reason i painted it that colour is because i picked up a 5litre tin dirt cheap from in-xcess.
Silver would look fantastic if you get the finish right but if you dont it wont
I used some upol weld thru primer on some of the chassis (its silver) and it looked lovely.
some people say gray is the colour to use because it shows up cracks
there was a simillar poll on lcb a while back and most people went for black ive seen green orange red silver white and black
If you go for anything other than black you will stand out from the crowd but make sure its for the right reasons and it fits with the rest of your colour scheme
Ray:)
p.s. why not do a bit silver and see if you like it? black will cover over it if you dont

dogwood
3rd November 2009, 09:30 AM
Mine's a redish brown...........Oh its rust,:eek:

Silver for me...:D

David

Tatey
3rd November 2009, 11:22 AM
I think i'll be going for a gun metal grey chassis with a matt black stripe down the middle. And i will be painting my chassis matt black, hopefully it should look alright.

So im voting for black.

AshG
3rd November 2009, 12:00 PM
satin black. thats what i have used and it touches up so well that you cant even see the touch up.

HandyAndy
3rd November 2009, 09:45 PM
similar comments to Ash,s post but mine is gloss black,
i too thought of silver but having seen quite a few "on the road" cars up close they soon get dirty & thought silver would be too hard to keep looking as smart as i,d like it to be .

andy

spud69
3rd November 2009, 10:05 PM
Orange chassis and black body, with a double orange stripe. Looks cool together.....;)

Show off that beautiful chassis...........

DaddyA
3rd November 2009, 10:28 PM
Chassis all black,

easy to patch if damaged and I have about 4.8ltrs left!!

londonsean69
4th November 2009, 04:43 PM
It will be rolled on, rather than sprayed, as there are more gaps than material, with a brush used to work it right into any joints.

Not any more it won't be:rolleyes:

Just spent a couple of hours with brush and rollers. Not fun, and not very even.

Tomorrow evening, I will be hanging plastic sheets everywhere and spraying it:D

I've got a compressor, so might as well use the thing. I did much prefer the look of sprayed paint on the refurbed parts, as opposed to the odd couple I did with the brush.

Still undecided on the colour though, although after speaking with SWMBO, I am definitely leaning towards silver, it should contrast nicely with the black body, and if I do the stripe in a nice metallic silver.

A couple of bits of red here and there (harnesses, calipers, gear and handbrake gaiters etc.) and a colour scheme is forming in my head:D

squbti
5th November 2009, 06:47 PM
My chassis is going to be black & the body will be rat rod flat black with 2 glossy black stripes & carbon fiber front wings :D
cheers

HandyAndy
5th November 2009, 07:10 PM
My chassis is going to be black & the body will be rat rod flat black with 2 glossy black stripes & carbon fiber front wings :D
cheers

sounds nice :cool: subtle but in ya face :D :cool:

andy

londonsean69
6th November 2009, 09:23 AM
cheers

I think I know where the inspiration for that one 'might' have come from, and it does look a good paint scheme

Especially on this

v
v
vv
vvv

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/20840/Scura4-L.jpg

I like that, but it looks far too small for me:( I'm gonna struggle with the roadster

squbti
6th November 2009, 08:04 PM
yep, thats the look i´m going for , mean as hell :D:D

ozzy1
7th November 2009, 01:37 PM
Went to my local car club on thurs and there was a guys car on display that was matt black with a red chassis,looked really good,the only other part that was red was the rocker cover on the nissan sr20 motor.

londonsean69
11th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Silver :D

I've just put on the first colour coat and I really like it.

Couple more coats then it's time to start creating bodywork :cool: