PDA

View Full Version : Hayabusa engined car

dreverl
6th November 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Everybody,

I have just joined up after having looked through the book many times and decided its time, time to start the build.

Im looking at doing one with a Haybusa engine and was wondering if anyone was around that has a thread or blog of a busa build? Do you buy the Sierra and use the diff and other 'car' stuff and then use the electrics off the bike? How does it work?

I live in Darlington, are there any clubs near by? I cant seem to find any?

Thanks for your help
Andrew

londonsean69
6th November 2009, 10:09 PM
Firstly welcome to the forum.

As for using a hedgeabuser engine, I don't think anyone on here is, but there is a blade engined roadster knocking about (the name of the owner escapes me)

There is a large BEC contingent over on Locostbuilders, so might be a better place to ask.

I 'think' that in general, the Bike engine is used, complete with injection, loom, clocks, fuel pump etc.
This is mated to a sprocket adaptor, that enables mounting of a driveshaft, then down to the car diff.

IIRC the Land Rover Freelander diff is getting quite popular for BECs, as it is quite a bit lighter than the sierra unit.

So basically, you are correct in that you can use most of a Sierra donor, and just fit the busa engine and wiring, although a lot of the sierra loom could probably be re-used.

Hope that helps a bit

gingea1pom
6th November 2009, 10:18 PM
Andrew,

Welcome

I am not going to be that helpful until you have chassis questions, (that’s as far as I have got).

I know what it is like with your first post it’s nice when someone gets back to you.

Good luck

Ginge

HandyAndy
6th November 2009, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forum Andrew ( another one :eek: )

i,m only about 15 miles from you & have a mate who owns a westfield megabusa, i,m sure he,d welcome you to have a look etc , maybe give you idea,s etc, he,s near Stockton on tees.

I,ve been in his car & its :eek: very quick.

best wishes for your build.

andy

londonsean69
6th November 2009, 10:52 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention - you must remember to budget for a reverse box on top of the engine price.

I think they run at about £500. It's now a requirement for the IVA

ozzy1
6th November 2009, 11:51 PM
Try these links;

www.thekneeslider.com/motorcycle-powered-cars/
www.megabusa-build.co.uk
www.hanksmegabusa.com

dreverl
7th November 2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I will continue to try and find pics etc of bike and car powered cars to see how others have done it.

Most of the statements have been why a ‘busa? How much money? What type of vehicle do I want?

Well... A bit of background might answer some of these. When I was doing my Engineering degree I worked as a race engineer and ended up in Italy on Formula Renault and F3000 cars for a while. Then I got a 'real' job designing cars (chassis and suspension for the new Ford Focus currently) so I thought that by doing one of these cars I could combine everything I’ve done.
So being a designer and race engineer I had to have a play…I’ve changed the design of the frame a bit and changed the geometry (just got to start the build now…) and I reckon the ‘busa engine will be the engine to do the job. Ultimately I’d really like to put a turbo in it but don’t think I can stretch to that yet.
The end result I’d like to be a race car first but still be able to drive on the road occasionally. The noise, high revs etc aren’t too much of a problem as I want it for performance.
Apparently there is a ‘westfield megabusa’ 15 miles away so I think I’ll have a look at that if I can.

Again thanks again for all your replies. Now I’ve just got to turn my design into metal!

Cheers

dreverl
7th November 2009, 04:19 PM
Great links Ozzy1, thanks

HandyAndy
7th November 2009, 04:31 PM
Apparently there is a ‘westfield megabusa’ 15 miles away so I think I’ll have a look at that if I can.

Cheers

Hi Andrew,

just give me a shout & i,ll try to arrange a visit to my mates place ;)

its a very quick car indeed.

cheers
andy

7ishNZ
8th November 2009, 07:17 PM
Hayabusa motors will need dry-sumping ( or accu-sump) to be reliable in a car. Allow some coin for this...
I am building a roadster with a 2006 R1 motor... very light but not as much torque as a 'busa.
http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=72

Have a look at the build diary...