PDA

View Full Version : engine mounts

old_bill
8th November 2009, 02:16 PM
I am now ready to fabricate the engine mounts for my 1.8 cvh.
Following the book instructions I have sat the chassis on 25mm tube and have positioned the engine in the engine bay (where else :o ). I have also mounted the diff. My problem is when I get the engine positioned horizontally the distance from ground to the centre of the gearbox shaft is higher than that to the centre of the diff coupling. I have not yet modified the sump. Should the engine be at an angle from fron to back? Any advice would be welcome.

dogwood
8th November 2009, 03:46 PM
If you have not modified your sump then 25mm is not enough lift on the chassis.
And yes the engine should sit horizontal
Or no it shouldn't sit at an angle
David

Chris Gibbs
8th November 2009, 06:24 PM
As David says, you need to modify your sump first or remove the sump and position the engine at the corresponding height.

The gearbox out put may be slightly higher or lower than the diff pinoin, so long as this isn't excessive (say more than 50mm) then the difference can be absorbed by the universal joints.

Cheers

Chris :)

squbti
8th November 2009, 06:49 PM
hi Chris, 50mm betwen gearbox & diff sounds like alot ,is that realy ok? if i build everything per the book would i have that big of a gap?:confused:
Also cant i justi place the chassis on something higher like axle stands when fitting the engine & gear box & modify the sump later on?
thanks
samy

DaddyA
8th November 2009, 07:26 PM
hi Chris, 50mm betwen gearbox & diff sounds like alot ,is that realy ok? if i build everything per the book would i have that big of a gap?:confused:
Also cant i justi place the chassis on something higher like axle stands when fitting the engine & gear box & modify the sump later on?
thanks
samy

Hi,

that's how I did mine. If you get the engine and box in position ( gearbox mount helps) you should be able to get the engine to the correct height using a jack.

I got my gearbox in by eye (ie central and square to the diff), then using a spirit level (bit OTT) and checked the chassis for level length ways and width ways, then tried to match the engine as close as. Seems to have worked. Allow for some compression on your mounts.

Hope thats helpful.

dogwood
8th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Samy.
Yes you can just put the chassis on axle stands.
If you are building everything to the book you will find the engine lines up very well with the diff.
You may find you have to remake the drivers side engine mount after because the steering shaft may foul the mount.

HTH David

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/enginemount.jpg

squbti
8th November 2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys i realy appreciate it. I think i´m going to do the same using axle stands & try to get the gear box & diff as close as I can to perfect,i will use levels , lasers .....whatever it takes:D :D
CHeers
Samy

HandyAndy
8th November 2009, 08:10 PM
my chassis was on axle stands when i fitted the engine/gearbox & also as David has said made new engine mount for the drivers side, just bear in mind the steering column extension when you fabricate the new engine mount ;)

pictures in my thread "big day" in the chassis section if that helps.

cheers
andy

squbti
8th November 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks David & Andy, thats some good advice I hadnt thaught about that but its a good thing i havent made the steering columb extension yet so I will take a look at the photos Andy,I´m sure it will help alot.
Cheers
Samy

Chris Gibbs
8th November 2009, 08:41 PM
The 50mm would be an absolute maximum, built to the book with a pinto engine the output shaft and the diff are at exactly the same height.

Cheers

Chris :)

squbti
8th November 2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks Chris, I´ve built the chassis exactly as in the book & am using the pinto engine so then it should be just fine, but its also good to know that its no big deal if the diff & gear box are off just a little.
Cheers
Samy