PDA

View Full Version : A question about Fabby's / Saturn's rear end!

adrianreeve
9th November 2009, 04:35 PM
Will the fibreglass rear end actually not fit with the round tubes at the back, or are they just not needed?

Cheers

Adrian

gus
9th November 2009, 04:40 PM
Adrian,

From what I understand, and from my experience of fitting a Triton rear end, it will not fit with the round tubes. You also do not need the curved plates that come down from the seat back to the top chassis rail.

A book fuel tank will also not fit the Triton rear end. I found this out after making the tank, as I did that before having the body work.

Cheers

Mark

fabbyglass
9th November 2009, 07:13 PM
Never was intended to be used with the round tubes or the curved sections...as for the tank well I guess I cocked up there as never actually got round to making a tank:confused:

mark
9th November 2009, 08:38 PM
I borrowed handyandys rear tub to mock up my rear end a while back and i had to remove the rear tubes and the curved plates as already mentioned. Its really annoying cutting up good work :rolleyes:

I also had to shorten the rear end slighty to get it fitting nice. I think its wise for anybody using this rear end to get the panel first and then just fabricate to suit. Another thing for people to consider is where they will bolt the backstays from the roll bar to as these are part of the rear tube sections. Its all simple things but much easier if you have the panel ;)

fabbyglass
9th November 2009, 09:23 PM
The best and strongest place to run the rear stays for the roll bar are down to the lower rails as far back as possible. Taking them to the small top tube won't do much if you flip the car. And it's a "kit Car" there is supposed to be an element of "making things fit" it's all part of buggering about with cars:D

andy_hem
18th November 2009, 09:17 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the modified chassis i am interested to see what is involved in fitting the Saturn rear end.

Cheers
Andy

HandyAndy
18th November 2009, 09:30 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of the modified chassis i am interested to see what is involved in fitting the Saturn rear end.

Cheers
Andy

hi Andy,

i have some pics available & some dimensions to fabricate the new chassis rail to secure the GRP rear tub, let me sort out some pics & i,ll post them up.
cheers
andy

HandyAndy
18th November 2009, 10:34 AM
here is how i fabricated the rear chassis rail to accept the GRP rear tub,
the main dimensions are
long rear box tube = 99cm
the 2 spars from RS14 to the 99cm tube = 17.6cm, set at 5 degree,s upwards.
the 99cm tube is an odd dimension which is to allow the inner radius curve of the grp tub.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/199.jpg

i hope this helps.
cheers
andy

gingea1pom
18th November 2009, 04:52 PM
Cheers for the picture Andy. I have printed it, anotated the dims on it and stuck it in the build book.

andy_hem
19th November 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks Andy.

I have also printed the picture and added the measurements.

Regards
Andy

HandyAndy
19th November 2009, 11:10 AM
you,re welcome guys,

now if i was clever with computers i,d draw the new rail/dimensions into a diagram & post it up :o

any offers :p :D

cheers
andy

gus
19th November 2009, 12:53 PM
Andy,

Do you mean anything like the attached?

Cheers

Mark

HandyAndy
19th November 2009, 01:21 PM
Andy,

Do you mean anything like the attached?

Cheers

Mark

now thats what i was thinking about :cool:

did you already have that done Mark ?

cheers
andy

gus
19th November 2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Andy,

Dave at work had the chassis modelled on the computer already but with the original rear end. We had never bothered updating it with the framework I made for the grp rear end.

He saw your picture and thought it was time he did it.

Cheers

Mark

jimmy
15th February 2011, 09:42 PM
iv wrote it down on an old envelope coz i avnt got a printer!!

fabbyglass
16th February 2011, 12:05 PM
iv wrote it down on an old envelope coz i avnt got a printer!!

That must mean you don't smoke then mate as I use fag packets for important drawings...........:D

baz-r
20th February 2011, 06:15 AM
am i right in thinking the long grp tube fits on the inside bottom lip of the tub and is affixed to it
im am trying to design a larger tank and would like the hassle free option of going grp
anyone have an idea what angle off virtical the tub leans forward at?

spud69
20th February 2011, 10:09 AM
I'm just nipping into work baz so i will take an exact measurement for you on the car with my new digital level.....:D

Andrew

spud69
20th February 2011, 11:31 AM
You dont need the round tubes on to fit the rear tub Baz just an extra 25mm box putting at the lower rear end of the chassis to fix the lower end of the tub to. There is a thread on here with dims and pics for it, cant remember where it is but a search will find it. Needs to be made a sticky please.

The rear tub is at 16 deg inwards for the lower rear end.

Hope that helps.......Andrew

baz-r
20th February 2011, 03:19 PM
You dont need the round tubes on to fit the rear tub Baz just an extra 25mm box putting at the lower rear end of the chassis to fix the lower end of the tub to. There is a thread on here with dims and pics for it, cant remember where it is but a search will find it. Needs to be made a sticky please.

The rear tub is at 16 deg inwards for the lower rear end.

Hope that helps.......Andrew

yep i know no rp's are needed and i have the grp tubes fitted
im modding my back end to get a good size fuel tank in i was going to strech the book one and use the grp tubes to support it and subitute d13
anyone have drawings for grp tank dimentions then i could just strech that
is the radius on the corners of the grp tub same as book spec?
once i have it sused i can share the info on a touring tank mod :D