PDA

View Full Version : Motivation??????

Tilly819
11th November 2009, 11:24 AM
Ok guys

Im finding it dificult to motivate myself to go out to the cold garage after work when its already dark..

So what motivates you to get yourself out there on the cold winter nights??

Tilly

deezee
11th November 2009, 11:36 AM
For me its seeing other users progress (AshG for instance). Reading magazines makes me enthusiastic to work on my build. Also buying stuff makes me super motivated to go and fit it.

HandyAndy
11th November 2009, 11:55 AM
i,ve found that if i,m not motivated i ask Spud69 to take me for a spin in his Roadster, does the trick every time :D

tho the motivation is at sky high level now with working on the Roadster every day at Saturn, tho haven,t had a chance to tinker with my own car as we,re busy with customer orders :)
but its still nice to see my car all day :o

cheers
andy

londonsean69
11th November 2009, 12:00 PM
It helps me drink less:D

Seriously, after I had to quit diving, I needed something to occupy my time, otherwise I would have been in the pub all the time.

It's sweet now, get home, do a couple of hours, have something to eat, couple of hours more, back in the house at 10pm, check up on the forums, have a couple of beers.

The actual motivation can be hard at times, and now is a bit lacking at times because I am painting, and the stuff needs to dry overnight before I can overcoat it. Because it is cold, I use a touch more thinners, and let it sit 24 hours.

This leaves big gaps of time where the garage is unusable:(

Still, am very much looking forward to getting it painted, because then I can actually assemble the rolling chassis.
It's a major milestone, that will inspire me to get the bodywork underway.

AshG
11th November 2009, 12:01 PM
my motivation is a nice magazine editor called ian that goes where is my articel every month :-)

It helps me drink less:D

Seriously, after I had to quit diving, I needed something to occupy my time, otherwise I would have been in the pub all the time.

It's sweet now, get home, do a couple of hours, have something to eat, couple of hours more, back in the house at 10pm, check up on the forums, have a couple of beers.

The actual motivation can be hard at times, and now is a bit lacking at times because I am painting, and the stuff needs to dry overnight before I can overcoat it. Because it is cold, I use a touch more thinners, and let it sit 24 hours.

This leaves big gaps of time where the garage is unusable:(

Still, am very much looking forward to getting it painted, because then I can actually assemble the rolling chassis.
It's a major milestone, that will inspire me to get the bodywork underway.

spud69
11th November 2009, 12:21 PM
Get yourself out in one of these cars, it'll give you all the motivation you need to get cracking. Flynercle came down last Saturday after loosing his motivation, after 30mins in the car he has never stopped on his own build since.

Get yourself a little fan heater in the garage and some thick overalls and you'll soon get done. Just think of what you'll have in 6 months time and it makes it all worth while....;)

AndyH

mark
11th November 2009, 12:27 PM
Watching a couple of videos on youtube of seven style cars might help motivate you!

if you are feeling the cold just work harder :D

i venture out with loads of layers on and then have to slowly take them all off, especially if hacksawing or filing something down to size!

NEroadster
11th November 2009, 01:06 PM
I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning on the way to work grey dingy sky; cold not condusive to going out in the garage. But I just have to think about the time I spent a day driving a caterham around for the today in glorious sunshine. That and the fact I know once I go out to the garage I enjoy working on the car its just that initial push to get out there.

car.mad
11th November 2009, 04:57 PM
i use a punch bag...

1st - it warms you up (working keeps you warm) :cool:

2nd - it de-stresses you so you're nice and calm (and dont get so angy with things that are being difficult) :)

3rd - its fun to hit somthing that cant hit back :D

as for the motivation part just think your building a car from nothing... really how many people can say they'v done that?

Jake

flyerncle
11th November 2009, 05:31 PM
I knew I should not have visited you two !!!!! Now he's on my case,I still keep smiling like a kid ten times a day and yes I am getting back to the build but like I said its hard when I am there 10 hours a day as well and having plenty to do.
One day soon though !!!

Tilly please motivate yourself to post that picture of your electric reverse !!!! (you did promise an age ago)

slimtater
11th November 2009, 06:21 PM
Sounds like I am going to have to visit ASAP

And bring a heater! :-)

Peter-C
11th November 2009, 08:40 PM
I stopped work on my chassis late August to strip the donor, which took a week or so. My motivation to get going again was visiting AdrianH to see his roadster. This week I'm back on the chassis, should soon be finished.

Coozer
11th November 2009, 10:11 PM
Motivation is just the need to get something done.. break it down into targets and its easy... when I got mine running I booked a track day, that got me going to get it ready for that... then SVA, that got me going again.. Make a list.. and target it!

Now I'm converting to EFi and while I wait for the megasquirt I thought I'll lift the engine out and cure the oil leak, tidy it up a bit and paint the block. So Monday lifted the engine out and went indoors... Tuesday morning the squirt arrives and now I'm dying to get on with it thats why I've just come in from painting the block!

Jezzer99
12th November 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm motivated by a space heater and bottle of propane :D

Jezzer99
12th November 2009, 08:22 AM
Still having said that, having done anything on the car for weeks :eek:

thwang
12th November 2009, 06:02 PM
i havnt touched mine for months as some of you know i had a pay cut at the beginning of the year so the pound notes havnt been to good. but i,ll kick my self into gear at christmas and get the chassis and wishbones finished. it makes it worse that everything is there and i just carnt horse myself its the same with my bike lights i have mates mates wanting to buy some but i have no interest to build any.
thwang

gundog
12th November 2009, 08:23 PM
my motivation comes in the form of my 5ft 1 wife,she only has to shoot me the look and hey presto im well motivated.

i actually like cold, damp garages and my own company.

only joking i dont like the damp!!

andy

snapper
13th November 2009, 09:11 PM
Half way through my build the garage (next door) that i was building in was sold with the plot and i was evicted, i only had a driveway at home so in this weather nothing was done, I did erect a gazebo when the wind was down, wore lots of layers and when my hands and feet gave up I would take bits inside and work on them there, not to much dirty stuff (but there is still a clean head and cam in the utility room) but managed to wire up a complete megajolt, edis and coil.

londonsean69
13th November 2009, 09:30 PM
It's a miserable evening here, but I had major motivation when I got home.

The last coat of paint is on the chassis:D

To me, it is a major milestone, and I was keen to hit it, which I did.

The next big thing on the agenda is to start on bodywork.

I have the bits to create a rolling chassis, but am leaving it up on the build table for ease of working.