PDA

View Full Version : inch by inch??

car.mad
11th November 2009, 08:32 PM
has anyone else used inch by inch box section for the chassis?

or is 25mm the one i want? its a tiny bit different but i can get inch by inch cheaper than 25 by 25

think the differance is inch by inch is 25.4mm

cheers

Jake

londonsean69
11th November 2009, 08:38 PM
You really won't notice any difference.

The distortion caused by welding would generally be more than 0.4mm.

You would want 16 gauge, which is 1.6mm wall.

spud69
11th November 2009, 09:20 PM
If your going for fibreglass side panels just make sure that the depth of your chassis is to the book as the panels are a close fit and the extra 1mm might make it a squeeze. If going for ali then it won't really matter.

Regards....AndyH

car.mad
11th November 2009, 09:57 PM
cheers for the advice.

not sure on the panels yet.
my dad knows/knew a guy who had the equipment to make and cure carbon fibre (he was building a car which he designed from scratch and wanted carbon fibre bodywork) so that may be an option but if that comes to nothing i will probably use fiber-glass for the weight reduction purpose

i will still make the chassis however tall its meant to be in certain places... i have some usefull drawing software so i can check the amount difference on the angled cuts and wot'not. shouldnt be too much trouble and saving about £30 for me is well worth it because im a poor student! (and generaly cheap)

Cheers

Jake

londonsean69
11th November 2009, 10:05 PM
so that may be an option but if that comes to nothing i will probably use fiber-glass for the weight reduction purpose

I wonder, out of interest, just how much fibreglass bodywork weighs??

I would imagine that it is heavier than Ally.

Then again, all depends on the weight of the glass, how many layers, plus resin content