PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Power Anyone?

donkey
11th November 2009, 11:17 PM
Hi all, this is my first post, so to start with, a big HELLO!!!. I've already built a Locost several years ago and have regreted selling it ever since! So I'm now about to embark on a Roadster. I have aquired a Lotus Eclat engine and 5 speed 'box, Thinking this would be ideal running gear. Anyone had any experience with these engines? Any comments or general imfo' or input will be gratefully received!
Thanks in advance.

Matthew
14th November 2009, 06:41 AM
Hi Donkey, welcome to the forum

Yes - lots of experience if it's the 907 slant 4, but with the turbo version from the old (S3) Esprit rather than the Eclat.

My personal advice would be that unless it's in perfect working order then don't bother as the parts will cost you a fortune (as I know to my cost - £200+ per cylinder for pistons and liners 15 years ago) , and it doesn't produce that much power in normally aspirated form.

If you do decide to go ahead then I have a set of Esprit manuals I can pull information from when you need it.

It would look good under the bonnet though :)

Matt

RAYLEE29
14th November 2009, 10:25 AM
Hi, an old lotus twin cam would look really nice and very retro if you can find afford one

snapper
14th November 2009, 10:45 PM
LOTUS

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usualy
Serious

Getting simple bits like gaskets is expensive
However if you can get it cheap and sell it on you may make some money to buy a similar BHP engine that will be a lot cheaper to run

les g
15th November 2009, 02:04 AM
Hi, an old lotus twin cam would look really nice and very retro if you can find afford one

a real lotus twin cam with a pair of webers looks sexy,,,,,,,,,,,
sorry nostalga moment for us old folks
cheers les g
ps, and yes i did own a mk2 lotus cortina back in the distant,,,,,

Bonzo
15th November 2009, 10:24 AM
My Third car was a Mk1 Lotus Cortina............................Hang on....Dreaming again :rolleyes:

It was only a Mk1 1500GT :o :D :D

16th November 2009, 09:22 PM
I feel really guilty about posting on this forum as I don't have a Haynes Roadster but I couldn't resist the mention of my beloved Lotus.

Yup, the spares and expensive and I'm a fool for using it, but I have a love of the little beast.
Mine is a '76 from an Eclat, those nice people at Lotus include the month and year of manufacture within the engine number, and I also have it's original Getrag box and it's twin 45's.

If I can be of any help should you decide to fit you engine please do contact me. I word of warning though; it's a tad wide.

Cheers
Paul G