PDA

View Full Version : Weld spatter

vincenzo
14th November 2009, 07:40 PM
Is there any way of reducing the spatter whilst welding? Not sure how to remove it once it's on there. Advice greatly appreciated!
Vince

flyerncle
14th November 2009, 07:55 PM
Joy's of MIG welding ;) A flapper disc will remove spatter and not too much metal at the same time.

spud69
14th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Is there any way of reducing the spatter whilst welding? Not sure how to remove it once it's on there. Advice greatly appreciated!
Vince

Hello Vince,

If you fine tune the feed speed, use good quality gas and weld on clean metal it will reduce but you'll always get some splatter. Is Fly says flapper disc soon removes it but don't buy them from B&Q cos they'll rip you off.

AndyH

gingea1pom
14th November 2009, 08:16 PM
Andy H

Just because I am lazy where is the cheapest place to buy flapper discs?

I started using one today, ironically to remove splatter and to clean up my weld table it is great. I got mine from Halfrauds.

Cheers Ginge

onedayTM
14th November 2009, 08:24 PM
Hi there,
if you cannot get rid of spatter by altering power or wire speed then you can use anti-spatter spray, just don't drown everthing in it and failing that make yourself a chipper out of old file. grind end like wood chisel and weld metal handle to it. works fine!
tony

spud69
14th November 2009, 08:30 PM
Andy H

Just because I am lazy where is the cheapest place to buy flapper discs?

I started using one today, ironically to remove splatter and to clean up my weld table it is great. I got mine from Halfrauds.

Cheers Ginge

Try These Ginge -

http://www.rightlines.ltd.uk/Zirconium-Flap-Discs.aspx

Cheap as buggary - £1.50 each or e-bay

I just use a local toolstore i have an account with, £2 each. Better than £8 each from B@Q........:(

gingea1pom
14th November 2009, 08:33 PM
Cheers Andy

Talonmotorsport
14th November 2009, 08:37 PM
Cold chisel and wacking stick, blunt file , anti spatter spray , tip dip , better Co2 argon mix , exspensive 200amp MIG or a TIG. All are options it just depends on wether you want to spend time or money.

AshG
15th November 2009, 01:22 AM
quick squirt of wd40 before you weld it does the trick

squbti
15th November 2009, 07:51 AM
welding spray works great & prevents the spater from sticking but also very important to not hold the welder at a great angle, try to keep it almost at 90 deg to the weld & also if you get alot of spater you might be welding a little cold.hope this helps.
cheers
samy

jerkins
15th November 2009, 03:04 PM
I have a small 1/4" cold chisel that's just perfect for knocking the majority of the spatter off the work - just a little tap and it's gone.

squbti
15th November 2009, 05:31 PM
i never had any spatter, i tig welded my chassis:D :D so maybe it took a little longer to fully weld but i gues i saved myself a lot of trouble after all:rolleyes:
cheers
samy

fluxcored
16th November 2009, 10:20 AM
Cold chisel works well.

chrisunwin
18th November 2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9235&frostProductName=Anti%20Spatter%20Spray%20&catID=&frostCat=&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

Frost do an anti spatter spray, havn't tried it myself, but thier stuff is ususlly prety good.

Regards

Chris.