PDA

View Full Version : Diff positon

VIZA
24th November 2009, 06:44 PM
hi guys, just want to make some mods in frame. XY dimensions (pic) please, many thanks victor

Talonmotorsport
26th November 2009, 10:09 PM
The sierra diff and drive shafts ( as do all IRS rear ends) have CV or UV joints at both ends, as long as the shafts don't bottom or top out when the suspension moves through it's arc the diff can be mounted any where in the rear suspension frame.

fabbyglass
28th November 2009, 07:52 PM
Better if they are inline with the hub though I would have thought.

AshG
28th November 2009, 08:35 PM

depends how long the drive shafts are. inline with the would be best but if the driveshafts are a bit on the long side then off the hub line should be ok as long as its not further than the cv joints safe range of movement.

fabbyglass
28th November 2009, 09:21 PM
Well if the shafts are too long then thats a bigger problem surely....:confused:

Tell yer what, best I shut up before I confuse myself:D

londonsean69
28th November 2009, 09:32 PM

I would imagine this as well, less wear on the joints.

Probably

Talonmotorsport
29th November 2009, 03:43 PM
Grasstrack cars use sierra cv joints some times at 60deg, go side ways at 40-60mph under full power with 240bhp and only need replacing every 3 yrs. Buy a new cv pack with correct grease and I bet the car suffers from tin worm well before the cv packs up.

londonsean69
29th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Grasstrack cars use sierra cv joints some times at 60deg, go side ways at 40-60mph under full power with 240bhp and only need replacing every 3 yrs. Buy a new cv pack with correct grease and I bet the car suffers from tin worm well before the cv packs up.

That's a fair point, but what mileage are they doing over those 3 years?

Just because something lasts 3 years in one situation doesn't mean it will in others. The point I was making is that it is ideal to have them straight, as that will minimise wear

Then again, for a Haynes to have a CV joint at 60 deg. then something has gone horribly wrong.