PDA

View Full Version : A Thought For Stonleigh

gingea1pom
25th November 2009, 10:33 AM
Right,

I am sat at work with nothing to do and my mind started drifting. I was thinking about how to big up the Haynes Roadster for the Stoneleigh show.

I remember when I used to go to Land Rover shows; there was a bloke that used to be on Salvage Squad (the annoying tall one) who, with the help of the series 1 owners club rebuilt a Series 1 over the show weekend.

Now this would have to be backed and run by the likes of Saturn Sports Cars or 3GE. I don’t have any insight to the political implications between the two companies, from my point of view every one gets on well.

My idol thoughts are we, the Haynes Roadster Forum, build, from scratch, a rolling chassis over the course of the two days. If we go for a rolling chassis we would only require sierra hubs, no engine, gearbox, diff etc.

Remember I am only thinking out loud. So if one company takes up the challenge and here’s the rub, the organisation required could be huge, equipment required, the health and safety implications of welding and grinding in a tent in a field could mean it’s not possible before it has begun, power, I seem to remember you need a 3 phase generator for welding.

The more I think about it the more implausible it becomes!

However from seeing the hive of activity around Ash’s car at Exeter and all the people taking a close interest in minor and major engineering accomplishments I think we would require barriers and a cueing system set up!

Now I am thinking again, bare with me, this really is way out there. All the companies that supply parts/products solely for the Roadster come together on one big stand with there own dedicated area. In the middle is the Roadster being built by Forum members using components from the companies around the edge. So, when Jo soap comes up to one of the companies and asks “how does this component work” not only will Jo soap get the benefit of expert advise but they can walk over to the Roadster and see how it works in-situ. Chris Gibbs is loitering to give reasons behind the design and to tease us with snip-its of int on the Single Seater, and Cost Coffee are set up to one side, sorry drifted of into the ‘wonderful world of Ginge’ again. You get the idea.

I can’t see this getting of the drawing board but it’s nice to dream.

Remember I am just a private individual with no financial links to anyone who loved the coming together of forum members at Exeter and is dreaming away at work!

Cheers Ginge

TSM Locost
25th November 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Ginge.

Your putting your spare time at work to good use. Whilst i understand your reasoning and good intentions, I agree that the H&S could be a big problem, might even need insurance and some form of method statement.

So lets just scale down a bit and leave out the welding / cutting and keep to actual assembly of a rolling chassis in the centre and suppliers round the outside.

I seem to remember this construction idea being done several years ago, but only as a bolt together and might have been a kit company with own staff.

Question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Do we have anybody on here or knows anybody who is involved in this type of event ? There are country / craft shows in East Anglia where skilled craftsmen perform their skills in public, so it must be possible to do.

Job for Chris to use his charm and contacts.
Would Haynes be prepared to chip in with advice or beer tokens in exchange for a display area of their own with the original car as centre along with a rolling chassis alongside.

Maybee ASH G could get Complete Kit Car involved ? (sorry to find you more jobs ash )

I have just spoken to Grosvenor Exhibitions who run the Stoneleigh show, but the man to contact is ROGER who is on holiday until 12th December. 01775 712100

Are we on a roll here ?

3GE Components
25th November 2009, 01:21 PM
It's a nice idea, but the welding part may be the nail in the coffin. I can hear HSE reaching for the valium already. :D

There is an alternative though, how about build chassis' to rolling stage. People who have placed an order, either with us or Saturn, could turn up with their parts (diff hubs etc) and build their chassis with the help of both Forum members and the pro's

Could get several done in a weekend :D

Still, it's a long way off, so keep the idea's coming.

I'm still for organising a Roadster weekend at the Haynes museum, book the track too for a time trial, could be a cracking weekend.

Kind regards

John

gingea1pom
25th November 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm still for organising a Roadster weekend at the Haynes museum, book the track too for a time trial, could be a cracking weekend.

Kind regards

John

Nice idea, just googled the Haynes Motor Museum and it is only an hour away from me. Happy Days

spud69
25th November 2009, 02:31 PM
The Haynes museum / track day sounds a bloody good idea. Unfortunately its 350m from up here. We'll have to have a few trackdays at Teesside instead.

Stoneleigh is a good plan which i'm sure can be developed into a working idea. Chassis to full rolling chassis with bodywork would be nice. If you watched Top Gear we could do a James May and put a milk float motor in it and get it running...;)

I'm sure we can all work something out......AndyH

andy_hem
25th November 2009, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=gingea1pom;25817]
there was a bloke that used to be on Salvage Squad (the annoying tall one) w

I think the guy your talking about is Jerry Thurston

Cheers
Andy

AshG
25th November 2009, 11:11 PM
th be honest i think i would have a problem getting total kitcar involved as i write for complete kitcar :D

dogwood
26th November 2009, 08:50 AM
DOH !!!!!!!:rolleyes: :D

VladD
26th November 2009, 09:35 AM
Would it be possible to turn one of the chassis packs into a bolt together package? That way the pack could be shown in bits, bolted together for the build and then broken down again and resused at another show.

After Exeter, I had thought that it would be interesting to see cars in various stages of build, kind of like a living build diary. Not sure how much room there'd be on the stand for that. Either that or a big TV will a slide show build diary constanly looping.

HandyAndy
26th November 2009, 10:41 AM
i quite like the idea of a demo "bolt together chassis", i,m willing to look into if this could be achieved & if so woulld willingly "donate" the chassis from my flat pack kits, as VladD has said this could be used over & over again as a demo showing what can be achieved, from 101 bits of steel into a rolling chassis in a weekend :eek: :cool:

If the "bolt together" idea won,t work then i,m sure i could still supply a full chassis for the use of making it into a rolling chassis put together by forum members ;)

after all we all know every inch around the build up process.

Nice idea Ginge:cool:

cheers
andy

Bonzo
26th November 2009, 11:26 AM
Tis quite a good idea Ginge

I like the whole concept of it, would provide a much better visualisation than the usual same ole, same ole ;)

Andy

I have visions of the local village idiot seeing the chassis being assembled & thinking........." That's given me a great idea...I'll bolt it all together " :eek: :D :D

Flat pack chassis & full plate kit on one display.

Fully welded chassis as a center piece, all ready for final assembly !!??

HandyAndy
26th November 2009, 11:33 AM
Andy

I have visions of the local village idiot seeing the chassis being assembled & thinking........." That's given me a great idea...I'll bolt it all together " :eek: :D :D

Flat pack chassis & full plate kit on one display.

Fully welded chassis as a center piece, all ready for final assembly !!??

Ronnie,

that is a very good point, "somebody" would try that, :eek:

tho i,m still happy to donate a fully welded main chassis for the demo idea.

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
26th November 2009, 09:03 PM
To have a stand you have to have insurance and I doubt insurance companies would cover anyone "building" a car in public. Not sure the show organisers would be too keen either especially the way folk claim for next to sod all these days.

gingea1pom
26th November 2009, 09:37 PM
Mark,

At the Land Rover show they did it in a largish tent and the public were behind barriers. They entered at one corner then walked around three sides of the tent, the boys working had all their gear against the fourth side. When welding or grinding went on mobile screens came out.

Now this was four years ago and they where sponsored by loads of companies not least Brit Part, who are huge.

I hear what you are saying though.

Cheers Ginge

dogwood
27th November 2009, 09:07 AM
especially the way folk claim for next to sod all these days.

I take exception to that....That's deformation of character.
I think I'm going to sue you....ooops:D

HandyAndy
27th November 2009, 09:10 AM
I think I'm going to sue you....ooops

Hey David.....

leave my wife out of this :D :D :p

Fabby has a good point, its a great idea to put on a display, hopefully we can find a way to actually doing it:cool:

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
27th November 2009, 10:06 AM
Also imagine you come across a "stubborn bit" that just won't go together and you have to resort to "the hammer", now that wouldn't look too good in front of a crowd...:rolleyes:

Last year at Stoneleigh I took seats then some tit managed to hoof a great big scratch in one I then spent the rest of the show explaining why I was showing off a seat that looked like it had been "ploughed"..Bloke who did it din't even say sorry!

frankie boy
27th November 2009, 10:47 PM
Im Sorry!!:d