PDA

View Full Version : Bleedin' how Much ??????

Enoch
25th November 2009, 03:59 PM
:eek: I have just found out how much IVA costs - what an outrageous rip off!! :mad: Last time I built a car it was SVA and I thought the £170 at the time was a bit steep but 450 quid plus 90 retest is unjustifiable in my opinion. I hate this bastard government, everything that is fun to do is taxed to the point where hardly anyone can afford to do it. We will have to pay road tax on them when they are legal and have to pay VAT on everything we buy to build them, 450 quid is simply money grabbing justified by bogus health and safety legislation. I hate them all.
Rant over for now:mad:

gingea1pom
25th November 2009, 04:09 PM
And breath, in, out, better?

I know what you are saying, i am going to have to save the £450 plus two lots of £90 just incase!

Go and have a brew, I am thinking you are a little way of writing the cheque?

Enoch
25th November 2009, 04:14 PM
A bloody long way off writing the cheque:mad: Christ, I know I'm a grumpy old sod but this has made my blood boil. I really am sick of being taxed to death. I only paid a third of that for the bloody donor car!
Oh well, if I didn;t spend it on cars the missus would waste it on food and household cleaning products.....

teun
25th November 2009, 04:58 PM
You are lucky overthere here in Holland it will cost over the 1000Euro!:eek:
So for us it is cheaper to buy a complete car in England and use that papers :cool: To import a car with the right papers will cost about 100 euro so use the papers of a cheap car and throw the car away and use the papers.

car.mad
25th November 2009, 05:18 PM
i see exactly what your saying...

im a cheap get and i didnt have a clue how much it cost up untill now

think im going to pass out!!!

thieving B******S

dogwood
25th November 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm afraid I totally agree.
Just another rip off of an easy target......

That's why I rushed to get my car finished, before the SVA ran out.
Thought that was bad enough, but 450 quid is just taking the p***:mad:

All it's going to do is encourage more clones.

flyerncle
25th November 2009, 06:45 PM
Someone has to pay for fighting other peoples wars and all the spongers we let in,Why not us ?:rolleyes:

frankie boy
25th November 2009, 09:47 PM
HI
Probably will be shot down for this but I think that £450 is not that bad. If you think about the wage, wear and tear on equipment, the ground that the station sits on, the nice MAC certificate and when past your car is worth a lot more. If you think about some other hobbies like golf £450 to join the club is cheap with only one annual fee.

gingea1pom
25th November 2009, 09:52 PM
I think you are right Frank.

It’s just we remember how much it used to be.

If you think what is involved in getting a litre of fuel to a petrol station it’s mad that it only costs a pound, however if it cost £4 per litre tomorrow I know I’d be bitching

Land Locked
25th November 2009, 10:00 PM
Here in Sarf Efrika the actual fee's are small but the process is a serious PITA.

In addition to the HUGE runaround, at some point an official is going to try n get you "to pour some oil on the water" If one goes out and actively pursues the oil on water approach it would probably cost twice as much as your IVA, but it would be possible to get a lopsided one wheeled wheel barrow registered.

So as expensive as your IVA is it is a fairly well documented and stable process, with the emphasis on process.

alga
26th November 2009, 01:16 AM
Agreed, the Brits are lucky to have a process. Here in Lithuania the registration rules mandate the same EEC-standard brakes and steering tests that are required for production vehicles. Only one lab in the whole country does the brake tests, and ostencibly they cost around 2500 quid, and there's not a single place qualified to test the steering, so one has to find a suitable test lab abroad :-/

In Estonia the situation is a bit better, there is a company making Locosts for years, they've been producing Formula 3's during the soviet times. I think they have lobbied some sanity into SVA-equivalent process there. I'm hoping I can register the car in Estonia and use it here.

deezee
26th November 2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah, but shouting at fellow members achieves nothing. If your really mad, contact the ministry, contact your local MP or write a petition on Number 10 website.

Nothing changes in the UK because we never do anything. Worst case is a group of people walk through London waving posters. The only exception I can think of is the fuel strikes when the refineries got blockaded and the motorways had go slows.

Enoch
26th November 2009, 09:18 AM
Deezee, I am not shouting at fellow members, merely discussing an issue I feel strongly about, sorry if it came across like that. I can't speak to my MP, I live in Bracknell, our MP was Andy MacKay - nuff sed:)
To put some perspective on this, the SVA tests seem to be conducted from existing facilities, sure additional infrastructure was required, it has been in place for some time. The average tester probably gets paid no more than about £15 per hour at most. Last time I did an SVA test the whole procedure took about 4 hours. The fact that the SVA equivalent costs 10 times as much in some other countries does not make it right.
My original view point still stands :as soon as a hobby becomes popular it gets taxed to death leaving the choice of getting pissed and picking a fight the best option to many young "adults".
Take fishing for example. If you want to use a boat to go fishing on the Basingstoke canal you need a rod license £25, a fishing permit, £35 I think, A boat licence £65, you then have to pay again if you want to fish after dark, you also have to have insurance for your boat.
It's so much cheaper to get pissed of an evening.
I think the IVA is a sensible measure, some of the rules are plain stupid but regulation is clearly needed otherwise the roads would be full of "Top Gear" style creations - not good:) I just wish that the government would sometimes look at more than just creating additional income streams where there is direct and demonstrable cash flow. How about looking at peripheral cash flow eg from businesses whose income is dependant on the industry - they all pay taxes after all. I bet just about every kit car is a second car, the owners have to pay road fund even though they hardly use it, two lots of insurance with VAT and insurance tax being payable etc etc.
In short I think the kit car industry is one worth supporting, not taxing out of existance. I use the word tax deliberately as that is what it is, in my opinion.
Rant over:)

Bonzo
26th November 2009, 11:39 AM
You ain't alone in your thoughts Enoch, my views are just about identical to your own ;)

At least you know there is " one more grumpy pants out there " :D :D

I was so hacked off when the new fees were announced, I almost gave up the build !!??
Then, if I did, the establishment would have got their wish. :rolleyes:

dogwood
26th November 2009, 12:33 PM
At least you know there is " one more grumpy pants out there " :D :D

Make that two......:rolleyes:
And I've passed my SVA.

I feel for the guys like you, that are half way through their build only to find that the price has more than doubled to get a MAC......

David

flyerncle
26th November 2009, 07:30 PM
It has SFA to do with being grumpy anything and Enoch is right (and his namesake had some good idea's too!) the sooner the population of this country stop standing in line to take it up the butt whatever the government dishes out the better we will all be.