PDA

View Full Version : Would I be stupid starting a build again!!

MikeB
27th November 2009, 03:20 PM
Well after about a year of selling my build, I'm considering one again.
I know very foolish!

If I do decide to start again I would look at buying a chassis as it just took too long last time, been there got the T shirt etc.

I have access to a mx5 1.6 donor but would probably just look to take the engine and box out and spend a £200 on collecting the remaining sierra parts.

Anyone know if the mx5 engine needs sump mods and can it run on it's standard injection setup from pictures the inlet doesn' seem to sit any high than the top of the rocker cover.

If I start a build again it will be really stupid due to the money I lost on the last one!! but hey.

I had a TVR s1 for 6 months which was fun but not fast enough.
A 1.6 mx5 engine with a cheap turbo kit could be a good laugh!

Anyone bought a chassis of these guys?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/haynes-roadster-BASIC-CHASSIS-locost-kitcar-super-7_W0QQitemZ120469134842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsP arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0c851dfa

Talonmotorsport
27th November 2009, 03:56 PM
I'd go for the more complete chassis £550 by that bloke or even the £990 option as you'd get the chassis,wishbones,mushrooms,rear uprights and diff mounts that way you could have a rolling chassis in a long weekend. :D

MikeB
27th November 2009, 04:29 PM
That could be a good idea,
Are your chassis migged or tigged? how do you jig them?
Any forum member building one on your chassis?

M

flyerncle
27th November 2009, 04:48 PM
Saturn Sports Cars do a ready cut kit and they are the dogs bits,quality and attention to detail second to none.
Might even do a ready built.

RAYLEE29
27th November 2009, 04:57 PM
its taken me a year to get where i am but my costs are very low if you want to do it quick get ready made but i do think if i made another it would be a lot quicker as ive done all the headachy bits once so should be able to do another without too much thought and still got my build table somewhere
oh and a little bird told me there may be an mx5 based book in the pipeline maybe next year
Ray:)

Talonmotorsport
27th November 2009, 09:07 PM
Every thing we make is currently MIG welded but then it only takes us 24 hrs to turn lenghs of steel in to a chassis. We use a build table same as the book as it's cheap,simple and it works as long as you know how to use it. If you make jigs for building alot of any thing the brain switches off and you stop paying attention. All of our chassis tubes are cut with a cold saw then tack assembled and sequence welded . There are a few forum members using our chassis and wishbones but I can't tell you who as I only know their names and not their screen names.

flyerncle
28th November 2009, 10:12 AM
A few new members have purchased flat packs and built them very rapidly and also praised the quality and again attention to detail.
It depends on what the builder wants from the final product, "I made this"
or I made it with a little help.
And no I am not on commision from anybody and not taking sides either or trying to sell anything but have seen first hand the quality and the saving can be converted into others parts that are not easy to make.

Go for it you know you want too!!!:D