PDA

View Full Version : Rear Cylinders

deezee
30th November 2009, 08:16 PM
Just some info really. After Adrian passed his IVA :) he mentioned he had to change the braking system off his 1.8cvh donor to get the correct bias, using smaller bore rear pistons / cylinders.

Well on that advice I sorted out a pair of 19mm piston bore cylinders for my rears. They come off a 1981-87 Ford Capri 2.8i and cost £6 each. Just incase anyone else was looking at doing something similar. Hopefully this means I should sail through IVA braking now :rolleyes:

chriseyj
1st December 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info Deezee I think I'm going to use my drums I got with my drive shafts, sounds a hole lot easier than messing with rear discs, hopefully wont get any front rear balance issues.
Do you think that the weight of discs and drums are the same when you take account of the caliper e.t.c.

gus
1st December 2009, 05:29 PM
After emailing Adrian with regards to the brake problems he had at IVA he gave the the following part number.

WC4918. This is a Brake Engineering part number. They do not however sell to the public.

Speaking to my local motorfactors the above translates to the following
Motaquip VWC345 wheel cylinders.

I must thank Adrian for his help. I am in no way able to take any credit for the above, as it was his hard work and research that solved the problem.

Gus

deezee
1st December 2009, 05:59 PM
Chriseyj, we are talking about rear drums :eek: The bias problem was on a car with front discs and rear drums.

chriseyj
2nd December 2009, 11:57 AM
I had read that it was rear drums AdrianH had trouble amazingly, but with yours amd others extra info Deezee at least I can get some cylinders that may prevent the problem whereas with rear discs you've got to source some kind of bias valve or restrictors. From what I understand the bias valve can be a pain to prove it's not adjustable.

P.S. I am pleased that adrianh has completed but a bit sad because I enjoyed reading his blog.

Cheers Chris