PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil Wiring

Spikehaus
1st December 2009, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know the correct wiring arrangement for the ignition coil?

I am having difficulty find the correct wiring diagrams for 1986 sierra, this was the year when every was switched over so the diagrams change! :confused:

Anyway as far as I can tell, the ignition coil centre terminal is connected to the distributor cap

I am then left with the black push on terminal (with an additional plug in component that is connected to the mounting bracket screw) and 2 Nr green wires.

Logic says that the black is the negative (-), but Dogwoods diagram contradicts this!

Can anyone help or have photos ???

dogwood
1st December 2009, 08:15 PM

Logic says that the black is the negative (-), but Dogwoods diagram contradicts this!

Don't blam me.....:eek: :rolleyes:
Let me just check, I could have made a BooBoo...

dogwood
1st December 2009, 08:29 PM
Nope, just checked.
That is how I did it.
I agree it looks wrong.
I ain't got the car here, so cannot take a pic to show you.
This diagram is only how I wired it up to get the engine running.

Still happy to be proven wrong, Incase I was just lucky..:D

(Sketch edited to make the black coil feed come from the ign switch, and not from the batt feed, Thanks AshG)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/Picture285-1.jpg

Spikehaus
1st December 2009, 08:32 PM
Did you have a plug in component on the black (+) I really appreciate the help

dogwood
1st December 2009, 08:51 PM
Not sure I know what you mean, sorry.

I did have a plug that went into the ign module.
My Haynes showed the Black wire going from that to the coil, and to the ignition
I don't have the manual here to double check.

David

HandyAndy
1st December 2009, 08:55 PM
Nick....
i,m following this thread with hope :o as i,m doing my electrics too:eek:

do you mean a small condensor/ or suppressor thing attached to the black wire from the solenoid? as my engine loom also has one of these things,....not sure what its actually called tho.

andy

dogwood
1st December 2009, 09:02 PM
Nick....
i,m following this thread with hope :o as i,m doing my electrics too:eek:

andy

Don't do that Andy...That's defo a case of the blind leading the blind...:eek:
Wish someone would come on and confirm what I have done is right.
Or tell me I'm a complete Idiot...:D

I'm sure Ash will be along soon, he's a clever B***er with lectrix.
Unless he's hiding from me..

Spikehaus
1st December 2009, 09:12 PM
Andy

Spot on, i have not made things easy by using a different engine! Ekk, starting to regret it! I think the suppressor component connect to the positive (+) at least we are working towards a name for it!

I found this on line "make sure that your vehicle is equipped with an ignition ballast resistor (or loom resistance wire) in the wire between the ignition switch and the coil (+) terminal.

HandyAndy
1st December 2009, 09:30 PM
i,ll have another look at my engine loom in the morning & if i find anything that helps i,ll post a reply,
in fact i have 2 engine looms at the mo so hopefully will be able to work out what goes where :confused: :D
if not then i,ll take the bonnet off Spuds car & have a dig about;)

don,t regret your engine choice mate, once you have it sorted it,ll be a beast :cool:

cheers
andy
ps...... i,m now sat here with the Haynes wiring diagrams in front of me ????????

Spikehaus
1st December 2009, 09:55 PM
It would be simple if colour printing was available when Haynes printed my book! and if they had added the odd + - symbols on the coil diagrams ( or maybe I just should have taken a few more photos and care when rushing to strip the donor)!

Determined to have it started over xmas.

RAYLEE29
1st December 2009, 11:04 PM
Hi, the positive side of the coil needs a live feed from the ign and the neg side goes to the trigger from the distributor some fords use a green from the coil to the tacho Ray

AshG
2nd December 2009, 02:09 AM
dogwoods drawing will work. all i would change on it is the live from the ignition to the coil. rather than have it a constant live i would make it a switched live off the black wire on the igniton switch.

if you are feeling mad and just want to check the engine fires up then dump the ignition module and just put a pos and neg on the coil then start the engine. dont do it for too long though as it will end up making the coil bloomin hot.

these days i cant be bothered with distributors and all that muck. megajolt is the way forward.

have just about finished my cars electrics. have done a full custom loom with koso rx1n dash, megajolt with TPS and additional hard rev cut board, and electronic fuel pump supplying bike carbs. i like building cars but i like electronics more. :D

Land Locked
2nd December 2009, 05:52 AM
Does anyone know the correct wiring arrangement for the ignition coil?

I am having difficulty find the correct wiring diagrams for 1986 sierra, this was the year when every was switched over so the diagrams change! :confused:

Anyway as far as I can tell, the ignition coil centre terminal is connected to the distributor cap

I am then left with the black push on terminal (with an additional plug in component that is connected to the mounting bracket screw) and 2 Nr green wires.

DIN spec wiring uses brown as negative and any other colour for positive also very common to use black for coil pos and green for the trigger.

AshG
2nd December 2009, 10:34 AM
DIN spec wiring uses brown as negative and any other colour for positive also very common to use black for coil pos and green for the trigger.

as far as i am aware even on newer fords with electronic ignition its still green for negative trigger. but they changed the coil +ve to purple.

dogwood
2nd December 2009, 10:40 AM
dogwoods drawing will work. all i would change on it is the live from the ignition to the coil. rather than have it a constant live i would make it a switched live off the black wire on the igniton switch.

Actualy Ash, you are dead right,
I hadn't noticed that.
Yes the black wire does come from the ignition switch, and not from the battery feed
I will alter the diagram now, so it looks right.

David

Big Gaz
2nd December 2009, 05:38 PM
Have you got contact breakers or an hall effect dissy with a lucas ign module?

If its a contact breaker type:
Ign poss to the coil+ terminal via the ballast resistor( this resistor is shorted out during starting to increase the spark

Coil - to the contact breaker/ condencer conection

Coil center this is HT to the dissy cap

If its a lucas ign module let us know and i will let you know how to wire it.

Spikehaus
13th December 2009, 09:00 PM
Just to close this thread, the ignition coil has different size terminal connections! So its simply the black wire with the ballast resistor connected to the (+) and the 2 Nr green wires to the (-) I had it connected correctly all along!

HandyAndy
13th December 2009, 09:13 PM
Nice one Nick ,
is she running yet? :cool:

andy

Spikehaus
13th December 2009, 09:22 PM
Just waiting for the fuel shut off valve to arrive, then its all go for this weekend or maybe xmas eve? Could it be a perfect xmas present?

HandyAndy
13th December 2009, 09:28 PM
wow thats great work Nick, well done mate :cool: :cool:

don,t forget the video of the first start up ;)

nice one

andy