PDA

View Full Version : A Learning experience

londonsean69
2nd December 2009, 04:08 PM
I have been having a pleasant day down the garage, and got to thinking what a great learning experience building a roadster from scratch has been so far.

I have had far more satisfaction, and learned a lot more doing it all myself, than I would have just assembling a kit.

Some of the things I have done for the first time;

Spray painting - OK, only blowing the chassis over, but you still get runs and sags if you get it wrong (which I did initially)
Sheet metal work - So far I have cut and folded both side panels, and the rear tub is in position, just need to trim to size and fold over the top and bottom
Fibreglass - I made a splash mould earlier, and it released first time:D This is to let me widen the cheap nosecone I got off EBlag, which will become the plug for my own nosecone

I was fairly handy with general mechanics before, same with welding, but that has improved as well.

Sure, I could have bought any of these bits, and in the long run I will probably spend just as much, if not more, by doing it myself, but I will, eventually, be able to say "I made that - Yes, all of it" :cool:

I hope this is how other people feel, because there is a wide range of skill and experience on here.

Land Locked
2nd December 2009, 04:21 PM
Sean, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. The gents on the Sarf Efriken locost site Keep preaching how silly iy is to scratch build. Almost any idiot can assemble a kit, I want to challenge and broaden my skills.

If nothing goes wrong I should be welding my chassis before christmas.

HandyAndy
2nd December 2009, 04:25 PM
totally agree with you Sean,

building my car has/is one of the best things i,ve ever done, with the help of forum members with help/advice its far more enjoyable than i first thought it would be.

and now i do it for my work :cool: :D

andy:)

Bonzo
2nd December 2009, 04:40 PM
Personaly I think the points you raise, just about sums up the whole Roadster building ethos.

I feel that no other kit car project can provide the same degree of personal input or flexability .

A fantastic chance for those who wish to learn new skills.

If buying expensive equipment & learning particular skills does not float your boat then We have a fantastic set of " Forum based " suppliers that will cater for your every need :cool:

Without exception each and every supplier will go that extra mile to help.

The crowning glory must be this forum, a lifeline for many of us & a real community spirit

I have said this before .........Chris Gibbs deserves full credit for making this all possible :)
Well done mate, you should be proud of the achievent

Oh......................Chris Gibbs is also the reason that I am skint :D :D

spud69
2nd December 2009, 04:50 PM
I'll fourth that....

I'ts a bloody good way of becoming skint though. Just wait till we're all putting single seaters on the road.

It all beats bolting a kit together hands down, again, well done Chris.

Thanks.....AndyH

RAYLEE29
2nd December 2009, 10:58 PM
for ages id been calling mine a kit car now ive stopped and call it my chassis as i no longer think of it as a kit as ive made it all
sure ive been on it over a year now and it still hasnt sat on its wheels yet (still sat on two b/d workmates)
when i started i bought a locost nosecone that doesnt fit and a westfield scuttle that doesnt fit ive since bought a quantum rear end and adjusted the chassis to accept it
mine wont look like anyone elses and that is what makes it mine
and yes this forum is great and I met chris and ash at exeter and it really does feel like a community all of its own
even though I probably wont meet the majority of you I feel ive made some friends on here
and it all statred with a book from halfords
Ray
Ray

londonsean69
2nd December 2009, 11:03 PM
Ray, I've been on my for a year or so, on and off, and it isn't on wheels. It could be, but for the moment it is still on the build table, albeit now with a lot of the running gear and bodywork in various stages of completion.

I too have a nosecone that is currently being 'adapted' to fit, and was well pleased when the splash mould released for the first time, despite it being too cold for the resin, using out of date resin, and fibreglass tape rather than CSM (I had this lying around)

RAYLEE29
2nd December 2009, 11:15 PM
mm mine could sit on its wheels too and ive adjusted the nose cones width and the scuttle just find it easier to work on up in the air at the mo especially lifting the rear end on and off
Ray

londonsean69
2nd December 2009, 11:19 PM
mm mine could sit on its wheels too and ive adjusted the nose cones width and the scuttle just find it easier to work on up in the air at the mo especially lifting the rear end on and off
Ray

I am exactly the same, it is a lot easier doing all this stuff at a nice height, although doing all the bodywork has taken it's toll on my freshly painted chassis!! I will need to blow it over with a couple more coats just before final fitting of everything