PDA

View Full Version : Engine Number

Tatey
2nd December 2009, 10:16 PM
Im trying to find out the age of my engine so that i can start planning which bits i will need to buy. Its a CVH 1.8 with the following engine number:

RFFOEE-B7A

Using this chart:

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/ford_date_chart.aspx

I think it is from 84, as there are no RF, FF, FO, or B7, or 7A's in the chart. Have i understood this correctly?

Tatey
2nd December 2009, 10:42 PM
Im afraid i dont have the engine number from the donor as i got it with the rest of my donor parts (i got a good deal on them all). After having a look on the net there only appear to be piston rings etc available for 1800 cvh engines from 88-94, meaning i must have the wrong number.

I'll got out and have another look.

Edit just been out for the past 5 mins having a look and i only managed to find 1 other number, which was really really faint, but it was just numbers, no letters, well atleast from what i can see. Is there any other way of telling what engine age it is?

HandyAndy
2nd December 2009, 10:47 PM
Simon,
your engine is a CVH ( i remember lifting it :eek: )

i don,t think you have quoted the correct engine number as my CVH has similar markings to Adrian,s

whereabouts on the block did you find that number?

andy:)

Tatey
2nd December 2009, 10:59 PM
I found the first number on the head, and the second number on the top right of the block (side with the oil filter).

Where is the engine number located?

After having a look through the haynes manual for the sierra, the cvh 1800 R2A and R6A seem to use the same sized piston rings.

HandyAndy
2nd December 2009, 11:05 PM
if i remember correctly the engine number is on the block just below the carb inlet manifold ... or was it below the exhaust manifold? :confused:

i don,t think the main engine number is on the "head", its on the main block, which side i can,t remember, :o

you should have had a look at my engine earlier today :rolleyes:

andy:)

Tatey
2nd December 2009, 11:17 PM
Just been out again and the number i thought were just numbers appears to be 2 'letters' followed by 5 numbers, i think its MD for the letters but it really isnt that clear as they are quite warn away, im pretty sure its an M at the beginning, meaning its from 91. Hopefully it'll come up a bit clearer once i start cleaning up the engine.

Im guessing it would be wise to re-stamp the engine number onto the engine in a clear and easy to find place?

flyerncle
4th December 2009, 04:10 PM
Try a wre brush over it and then a pencil and paper to lift the number and if you want it restamped I have the stamps.
You know where I am.

james3004
8th December 2009, 08:30 PM
I have got to restamp the engine number on my zetec, what size stamps do you have to use?

mark
8th December 2009, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if a restamped number would be acceptable for iva?

Or is it a case of doing it perfectly so it looks like the original stamping

The reason i ask is my cvh number is visible but quite faint from corrosion, you can make out what it is when you have the log book in front of you to clarify what the numbers are

What do people think:

Leave as it is or restamp as neatly as poss using stamps the same size as ford did!

HandyAndy
8th December 2009, 09:56 PM
i,d leave as is, if they query it then you can show the log book & the fact that the engine number has never been tampered with ;)

it,d be harder to explain if they think its been altered to match with the log book :eek:

thats what i,m doing anyway:)

andy

mark
8th December 2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah i think i agree, that was my original plan until this thread was started and it got me thinking!

It sounds like the cvh engine number stamping doesnt stand up to the test of time quite so well :rolleyes:

james3004
9th December 2009, 09:09 PM
I would leave mine but it is non existent, due to rust, i'm sure i read somewhere that they are ok with restamping in the iva??