PDA

View Full Version : First time i've been annoyed at my build

Tatey
5th December 2009, 12:52 PM
Today has been the first time i've been annoyed when building my chassis, im trying to bend the rear tub tubes, but the pipe bender i've borrow off of a mate has a different radius to the dimensions in the book, meaning i've needed to adjust some measurements in order to get them to the right length. 6m of 19mm tube later and i still havent got it cracked, it never comes out to be 1099mm wide, always too short or too long.

I've got another 6m of tube left, so im going to leave it a while before i end up losing my rag. If anyone would like some scrap tube with random bends in it, feel free to send me a pm :p

HandyAndy
5th December 2009, 01:00 PM
oh dear :eek: let me know if you change your mind & wish you were fitting a grp tub :eek: :p ......only teasing mate.

your chassis is a credit to you. keep at it.
maybe make the curved bits seperate & weld them to the straight bits once you have the correct radius ;) .

cheers
andy

dogwood
5th December 2009, 01:00 PM
I won't laugh, coz i know where ya coming from.:D

Easy answer,
Make 2 bends up then weld together the right length......:eek: :rolleyes:

David
Damn !!!!!Beaten by speedy Andy

AshG
5th December 2009, 01:02 PM
little tip

do four bends. then cut the straight bits and weld them in :D i used little metal dowls to join mine to keep everything in line. worked a treat.

Tatey
5th December 2009, 01:02 PM
That really is weird, right before you's posted i came up with the idea of just cutting it in half, extending it and welding it back together, and i've already made the jig for it in a bid to try and get it right using the bender. Happy days :D

I'll let you's know how it goes.

dogwood
5th December 2009, 01:03 PM
Is there an Echo...echo echo...In here????

HandyAndy
5th December 2009, 01:03 PM
he he he he :p :D

andy;)

dogwood
5th December 2009, 01:05 PM
Na...It's just great minds thinking alike....:D

AshG
5th December 2009, 01:09 PM
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/P1020191.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/P1020192.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/P1020193.jpg

as you can see the joints dont show up too much and once they are welded and ground back down its fine

spud69
5th December 2009, 01:33 PM
If you use a plumbers 22mm pipe bender Simon you get the correct radius bends, it does flatten the pipe slightly but not noticeable.

AndyH

Tatey
5th December 2009, 01:56 PM
I've got 1 sorted now using the cut and shut method. Oh how i've missed Mr Angry Grinder :D. Cheers for the help guys.

HandyAndy
5th December 2009, 02:16 PM
nice one Simon :cool:
"where there is the will there is a way" ;) :D

where else would you get such a quick response to your thread ????, within minutes you had 3 forum members reply to your frustration & with photos too :cool:

cheers
andy

Tilly819
5th December 2009, 05:51 PM
hehe, i cheated with mine, went down to the local pipe man got 4 19mm manderil bent 90 deg elbows then just cut the tube and welded them in worked a treat

Tilly

Bonzo
5th December 2009, 07:36 PM
I never even attempted to try and bend mine in one piece..........Far too lazy to try & work out the geometry of it all :o :o

I used 4 long'ish bits of tube, put 90 degree bends in the middle of each one & then cut to width, then welded them up. :D

The rear panel bent round a treat & looks the part :cool:

Tatey
5th December 2009, 07:39 PM
I got the second one done earlier, i just need to cut them down slightly to make them the perfect size :D. I can't believe i didn't think of cutting them and welding them together from the beginning.

andyuk697
5th December 2009, 08:27 PM
i just want to say thanks for posting this thread i will be tackling the rear tubes on monday and now i think i will also use the cut and shut method

cheers Andy

flyerncle
5th December 2009, 08:32 PM
If you are in the mood Simon I would be gratefull and gladly pay for 4 corners bent to shape.

Tatey
5th December 2009, 08:33 PM
I'll be returning the conduit bender to my mate tomorrow night, so ill happily go out and get them sorted for you, you've been a great help in my build so far and im always one to repay a favour. Ill be able to bring them along on monday afternoon if that suits you?

flyerncle
5th December 2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks Simon that will be really helpfull and save me a bunch of hassle and if you are stuck dont hesitate to let me know.

I wont be in Monday as I am going to my daughters graduation ceremony and then celebrating so just when ever suit's you is fine as there is no panic.

Thanks again.

Tatey
5th December 2009, 08:46 PM
Feel free to pick a day :D , im in newcastle on Wed, Thurs and Fri and finish at 1pm, 4.30pm and 1pm.

flyerncle
5th December 2009, 09:05 PM
In all week so feel free to pop in anytime to suit yourself except after 2:30 on Friday as I finish early.

Thanks Simon..

Paul

HandyAndy
5th December 2009, 09:10 PM
In all week so feel free to pop in anytime to suit yourself except after 2:30 on Friday as I finish early.

Thanks Simon..

Paul

idle so & so !!!! 2,30 on a friday????????? :eek: :D

andy

Tatey
5th December 2009, 09:22 PM
Andy, don't go there.... :D :p

flyerncle
5th December 2009, 09:41 PM
Strong words from weak chest's !!!!!!:p