PDA

View Full Version : Quick Progress Report

Enoch
6th December 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi Folks, been a while since I have been on here so thought I would give a quick update.
I have started stripping the Sierra, it's a 2.0 DOHC with MT75 box. Many thanks to Axle for the info he supplied and to all the others that responded to my cries for help:)
I am just about at the point of lifting the engine and box out, all bolts have been loosened so it shouldn't take long. I am hoping a mate of mione can come and help. My drive is on a steep slope , once I start to lift out the engine and box I have to move the car back and down the slope as my lifting gear is fixed. If I get a problem at this stage things could get tricky:eek:
This will be only the second time I have removed an engine so I am a bit apprehensive.

I have just ordered a chassis flat pack from Handy Andy, if his product is half as good as his pre sales support then I will be bloody delighted!! Thanks Andy for being patient with me and answering all my stupid questions so quickly and politely. I look forward to receiving my bits.
I have fixed my garage roof (I think) so I can get my build table done, I won't do that until I have all the donor parts out though.

So that's it for now, if it stops raining I might get out and do some work.Regards to all,
Enoch

flyerncle
6th December 2009, 10:12 AM
Best of luck Enoch and good building.
Welcome to the madhouse.:D

HandyAndy
6th December 2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Enoch,

if you are not worried about "the state" of the donor shell when you are finished stripping it ;) & with your drive being on a slope you could always take the angry grinder to the front of the car & just cut out the area where the rad used to be, totally cut it, lower the engine down onto the floor & then roll the car back leaving the engine safely resting on the floor , then it makes less chance of being a tricky lift with an engine in the air;) .

Thanks for your kind words regarding my venture & thanks for your order, i best get cracking & get some steel cut :D
best wishes with your build .

cheers
andy

mr-p
6th December 2009, 10:27 AM
Enoch,

I did similar to what Andy said, hacked the front end out with mr grinder undo everything, put a piece of ply under the lump - attach engine to quad bike & pull. lot easier than all that lifting business.

p.

AshG
6th December 2009, 10:35 AM
i just lifted the car up over the engine :D much easyness with a fork lift and proper engine hoist :D

Bonzo
6th December 2009, 11:03 AM
Another vote for cutting out the front lower crossmember & dragging out from the front of the car ;)

So much easier than trying to lift it out :)

If you are removing from the front, the engine & box can come out in one lump :cool:

Enoch
6th December 2009, 12:08 PM
God, I love it here, thanks for the idea guys. I had already cut out the bit where the bonnet catch goes, the rad is out, as is most of the other stuff at the front of the car. I have also made a little trolley type thing on castors for the engine to sit on so I can move it about easily. I was looking at dropping the anti roll bar to increase clearance but I can see the value in dropping the engine rather than lifting it. Unless somebody wants to pop round with a forklift :-)
I have come to a stop today, I'm an old git and starting to ache a bit, I also need to get a pair of circlip pliers before I can remove the gearstick.
Thanks again folks.
Enoch.

Bonzo
6th December 2009, 12:36 PM
I have come to a stop today, I'm an old git and starting to ache a bit

I know the feeling well Enoch

Takes me hours to do jobs that used to take next to no time :eek:

Don't you just hate it when you have to stop part way through removing a tight bolt because you simply run out of steam !!??

Mind you, this shouldn't be an issue for me........ I have air ratchets & impact drivers.
I can never be assed to go up the shed to turn the compressor on !! :o :D

Talk about needless hard work :rolleyes: