PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the nosecone

deezee
6th December 2009, 04:46 PM
How on earth do you fix the nosecone to the chassis? Also, is it normal to have to cut the bottom down to make it fit? Mine sits 20mm forward because the bottom edge is too deep and strike the chassis rail in the middle.

AshG
6th December 2009, 05:27 PM
How on earth do you fix the nosecone to the chassis? Also, is it normal to have to cut the bottom down to make it fit? Mine sits 20mm forward because the bottom edge is too deep and strike the chassis rail in the middle.

i had to cut mine down on the bottom and your correct it lands bang in the middle of the bottom chassis rail.

i welded two little tabs on each side of the bottom chassis rail and put to m5 bolts through. then i used two bolts on the top of the chassis rail. so all together there are 4 bolts holding the thing on.

HandyAndy
6th December 2009, 08:10 PM
Perhaps I used force and ignorance, or a slightly taller flabby nose cone?

But I could get the front edge under the bottom rail, it is sort of shaped _.-----._ at the front, so fitted that tang under the edge then puled the cone unto the top rails and seems to work well.
Must remember one day to screw that bottom edge in place!

Adrian

This is how mine was done, it is an ultra tight fit to have the lower lip tucked under the bottom chassis rail, but it does go ;) i found if i got the nose to a nice room temp it made it a little easier:)

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
6th December 2009, 09:15 PM
Well I would say check the height of the chassis then as the mould can't shrink 12mm for one customer and grow back for the next......:rolleyes:

deezee
6th December 2009, 09:51 PM
Well I would say check the height of the chassis then as the mould can't shrink 12mm for one customer and grow back for the next......:rolleyes:

Oddly enough this was one of my first worries :) "Oh poop, I hope my chassis isn't wonky" after tacking I'd never rechecked the dimensions :eek: But its bang on (+/- 1mm). I pulled the bottom over the lower rail and eased the top edge on, but its just too tight, so much so that the corner developed a crack in the gelcoat, when stretched.

I think I'll do what Ash did and pop some bolts in. I was going to try to rivnut it but I'll try something different.

RAYLEE29
7th December 2009, 08:06 AM
I have some nice dzus fittings that im planning on using they have a nice radius are chrome and use a 4mm allen key was planning on two from below onto bracket on front lower chassis rail and one either side on to bracket on top rails.
still need to cut about my widened locost nose but its on the list of things to do somewhere in my head lol
Ray:)

Janne E
7th December 2009, 08:51 AM
I did like Ash G...

Janne

AshG
7th December 2009, 09:56 AM
mine would go under but i didnt like the idea of it being under stress all the time. my ff is dead on book dimensions

georgenewman1
7th December 2009, 10:06 AM
mine had a lip round the inside so i just put 4 rivnuts in the chassie, 2 in the top and 2 in the front. got it from gts and despite having the worst finish possible to get it fitted ok

dogwood
7th December 2009, 10:25 AM
My Fabby (Triton) nosecone fitted perfic..
Not under stress at all,
I got 2 tabs at the top and 2 on the bottom rail for fixing.

I said at the time I got it how amazed, shocked, gobsmacked.:eek:
I was as to how well it fitted strait out the box..

Mark said "Of course it does....It was made for the Haynes...:rolleyes:

If you ain't using a Triton (AKA Saturn) one then I may be a different story

David

fabbyglass
7th December 2009, 07:49 PM
Weird then if it fits some and not others...:confused:

Land Locked
7th December 2009, 10:47 PM
Oi, since when have homebuilders been such perfectionists:confused:

We're meant to have only two items in the toolbox, WD40 and ductape. Clearly the nosecone isn't meant to move so we're not going to use the WD40 for it, are we?;)

AshG
8th December 2009, 01:14 AM
it does fit. its just a tight fit.

georgenewman1
8th December 2009, 03:53 PM
im finding insulation tape more and more useful these days

fabbyglass
8th December 2009, 06:07 PM
There are ways and means but I can't remember them:confused:

davidimurray
8th December 2009, 06:41 PM
Any chance of some pics of the different mounting arrgts people have used?

fabbyglass
8th December 2009, 08:16 PM
Here's one I made earlier along with the original chassis used to make all the plugs.

les g
8th December 2009, 09:20 PM
Here's one I made earlier along with the original chassis used to make all the plugs.

wow !!!!!! i really love that colour

i might do my car in that colour
cheers les g

fabbyglass
8th December 2009, 09:26 PM
Don't fib you know and I know your car is pink...;)

les g
8th December 2009, 10:44 PM
Grrrr.
you promised you wouldn,t tell.............

spud69
9th December 2009, 08:32 AM
We've just completed 2 sets in that colour and it does look very nice....:)

fabbyglass
9th December 2009, 05:38 PM
Tickety boo

Neil P
10th December 2009, 08:43 AM
Mine has piano hinge along the bottom edge and the bonnet goes over and holds the top edge.
Nice easy access to everything in the front end.

Neil