PDA

View Full Version : Front caliper -lightweight..

7ishNZ
7th December 2009, 09:24 PM
I have heard that the sierra front caliper can be replaced by a peugeot 206 or 306 aluminium one to save about 4kg per side. It is meant to be a direct bolt-on to the sierra upright. Can anyone confirm this?

AshG
8th December 2009, 01:00 AM
I have heard that the sierra front caliper can be replaced by a peugeot 206 or 306 aluminium one to save about 4kg per side. It is meant to be a direct bolt-on to the sierra upright. Can anyone confirm this?

i find that hard to see as a sierra caliper must only weigh 3-4kg infact i have a duff one kicking about. i will weigh it tomorrow.

would be interesting if there was an alternative though

Bonzo
8th December 2009, 10:41 AM
That sounds like it is worth looking into :cool:

Just a little word of caution !!

Peugeot have a nasty habit of fitting different brake systems on the same models built in the same year :rolleyes:

Girling, ATE & others ?? ( Girling being the most likely candidate for Sierra fitment )

I just happen to have had a run on fitting Peugeot discs n pads this year ( 5 ) & have had a devil of a job getting the right parts first time :eek:

Even had to ring the Peugot main dealer for the build code for one of them !!

Perhaps my local motor factors are just crap :D

TSM Locost
8th December 2009, 01:01 PM
As Ronnie said, 3 different sorts excluding ABS - Girling, ATE & Bendix. My sons P reg TD look like Bendix and are not alloy. We have a Pug breaker near by who might know if alloy is used in the UK and what make of caliper.

Bonzo
8th December 2009, 01:12 PM
Ahhh Bendix........Thats one of the ones I couldn't remember. :o

I don't recall if I came across any alloy front calipers whilst doing them........Mind you, my memory ain't what it used to be :confused: :D

flyerncle
8th December 2009, 06:09 PM
205's fitted with them and sieze up all the time and defo not direct replacement.

7ishNZ
8th December 2009, 07:35 PM
On further inquiry, it appears the Bendix caliper from the 306 fits with a 5mm spacer. All ali, so very light compared to the cast anchor from the sierra. Will try and get a weight...