PDA

View Full Version : Donor SORN Question

SeriesLandy
8th December 2009, 01:51 PM
Last November I bought my Sierra and disposed of the shell at the scrappies in December. I removed the vin by the drivers seat and the one under the bonnet. Also removed the number plates log book and any other paper work.

I still havn't had a SORN reminder this year and had a look on their website and it says this:

Date of Liability 01 09 2008
Date of First Registration 01 03 1988
Year of Manufacture 1988
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1796CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £104.50
12 Months Rate £190.00

Does Vehicle Status - Unlicensed mean that the sierra has been scrapped or is it still in the system?

HandyAndy
8th December 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Steve,
did you declare it as sorned when you "took it off the road" ;) once a car is sorned then if you don,t unsorn it by not taxing it then you have to re sorn it every 12 months, i think.

cheers
andy

SeriesLandy
8th December 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Steve,
did you declare it as sorned when you "took it off the road" ;) once a car is sorned then if you don,t unsorn it by not taxing it then you have to re sorn it every 12 months, i think.

cheers
andy

It was SORN when I bought it (11-11-08) and havn't had a 12 month reminder.

deezee
8th December 2009, 02:01 PM
Unlicensed means you haven't paid any tax on it. Or in laymen's terms it is SORN.

When you say it was SORN when you got it. Does that mean you SORN'd it? Because a SORN isn't transferable. You have to fill one out as the owner of a vehicle, irrespective if one was taken out by the previous only just a week ago!

HandyAndy
8th December 2009, 02:05 PM
as Deezee says,
also is the log book in your name? if not then i would suggest you do so, if it is then just go online & sorn it again, has to be done every 12 months .

andy

Bonzo
8th December 2009, 02:13 PM
Hi Steve

The date of liability is usually either the date the road tax or SORN runs out.

Is the registration document in your name !!??

If not in your name you'll need to send the V5C to DVLA to notify them of the change of keeper. ( They'll not accept a SORN declaration unless you are the registered keeper )

If the V5C is in your name & the previous keeper declared SORN, it may be possible that the reminder was sent to the previous keeper ;)

If you are the registered keeper, you can declare SORN online, via the DVLA website. ;)

Yes, a Sorn declaration only lasts a year & needs to be re-newed on an annual basis.

Bonzo
8th December 2009, 02:18 PM
Beaten to it :o :D :D

One thing I would say............ Looking at the date of liability, 01/09/2008, it would appear that the previous keeper was telling porkies & had not made a SORN declaration when the tax ran out :rolleyes:

SeriesLandy
8th December 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm sure it's in my name, I'll check this evening as the v5 is in the garage. I think I need to get online and get it sorned then. Also I havn't had an angry fine for it yet so their tax computer can't be that good.

Cheers guys for the quick replys

gingea1pom
8th December 2009, 03:54 PM
Steve,

I forgot to re-SORN a vehicle and it was three months until the £80 fine landed on the mat:mad: (reduced to £40 as I paid it pronto:D )

Cheers Ginge

DaddyA
8th December 2009, 06:32 PM
just for info,

just checked the DVLA website and mine says 'SORN - not due'.

So probably not sorn as previously stated.

mark
8th December 2009, 08:14 PM
Steve,

I forgot to re-SORN a vehicle and it was three months until the £80 fine landed on the mat:mad: (reduced to £40 as I paid it pronto:D )

Cheers Ginge

Same here £80 fine reduced to £40 :mad: Robbing bar stewards

I forgot to sorn my donor when i got it, and the tax reminder went to previous owner

3 months later fine through the door

gingea1pom
8th December 2009, 08:23 PM
I have almost 2 month’s TAX on my donor, which is handy as it is on camp at the moment because Nicky doesn’t want it on the drive. They get arsy when cars on camp have no TAX they think they have been abandoned.

I hope to have it striped before the TAX runs out and have set a reminder to SORN it on my phone!

Cheers Ginge

SeriesLandy
8th December 2009, 10:11 PM
I tried to sorn it eariler but for some reason it didn't work, it might be as I'm on an iPhone as the Internet isn't being installed untill next monday. Will try again tomorrow at work.