PDA

View Full Version : Wishbone profiles

kev87
9th December 2009, 02:43 PM
Hi all, I'm currently looking at the wishbone construction in the haynes book, it gives all the dimensions and jig sizes etc for making them, but how are people making cutting the end profiles of the tubes where they join onto other parts?

Bonzo
9th December 2009, 03:01 PM
I believe many folk have used this, free to download & use program ;)

Tube Mitre (http://www.ozhpv.org.au/resources/shed/tubemiter.html)

This program will allow you to input the tube sizes & angles then print a template out to help mark the cut/trim points :)

kev87
9th December 2009, 03:23 PM
thanks thats pretty halpful, what tools do people physically use to cut the tube once you have the template though?

Bonzo
9th December 2009, 03:42 PM
My preferred weapon of choice is a coarse flap disk in a grinder. If used gentlly it'll remove material very quickly.

An ordinary grinding disk will do the job, as would a large, coarse round file.

Just a matter of patience, test fitting often + a little more fettling. :)

kev87
9th December 2009, 03:48 PM
Ah ok so its a case of keep working it until it fits. I had visions of a massive drill bit or something and it scared me haha!

Bonzo
9th December 2009, 04:01 PM
Yep, just go on quietly & the job will be a good un :)

A little time consuming but a very nice feeling to know that you have done the job by hand :cool:

If you have access to flap disks give em a try, you'll be surprised just how quickly they remove metal with very little effort.

FFS watch your hands, clamp in vice, wear gauntlets & eye protection. ( HSE Risk assesment made me say this) :eek: ;)

gingea1pom
9th December 2009, 04:38 PM
I believe many folk have used this, free to download & use program ;)

Tube Mitre (http://www.ozhpv.org.au/resources/shed/tubemiter.html)

This program will allow you to input the tube sizes & angles then print a template out to help mark the cut/trim points :)

Ronnie,

Where have you been all my life with that information? That program is fantastic.

To profile my seat belt mounting cross member to the roll bar I was fettling offering up, fettling offering up, fettling offering up etc. It took me ages, I was not looking forward to profiling the roll bar back stays.

Now of course I have printed of the profile for the tube and am looking forward to tomorrows garage session.

Thanks Ronnie

Bonzo
9th December 2009, 05:11 PM
Afraid I can't take any credit for this info :o

Tis hidden in the darkest depths of the forum but unless you type "Tube Mitre " in the search bar, it's diffiicult to find ;)

Suprised that Ash didn't tell you about it...........I reckon he's holding back on you mate :D :D

gingea1pom
9th December 2009, 05:17 PM
I have just gone out to the garage with my new paper profile and it is just spot on

Afraid I can't take any credit for this info :o

Tis hidden in the darkest depths of the forum but unless you type "Tube Mitre " in the search bar, it's diffiicult to find ;)

Suprised that Ash didn't tell you about it...........I reckon he's holding back on you mate :D :D

I think I have sapped Ash for information over the last month, you don’t see the pm’s that I send!

Cheers Ginge

spud69
9th December 2009, 05:53 PM
Try this site, its the same thing but a bit more user friendly....:)

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Peter-C
9th December 2009, 06:11 PM
I've just spent an hour wasting bits of tube trying to work out by eye how to fit the roll bar cross brace. Then I remembered tubemiter. 2 minutes later absolutely spot on. Whoever wrote it, is a God !!

squbti
11th December 2009, 03:02 PM
here´s what i used on my wishbones & it works great.588
cheers
samy

flyerncle
11th December 2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Samy,I can see it is a die grinder but what are the ends.Emery ?

squbti
11th December 2009, 06:49 PM
The grinder has a cone shaped top made of hard latex & cone shaped sand paper that just pops on . The one I used was an 80 paper .
cheers
samy

flyerncle
12th December 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Samy :)