PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Fuel Tank

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 08:43 AM
My reputation of being a bargain finder has always been known :o

But just thought i,d share this with you all..............

I have just bought a steel fuel tank from "the bay", it is brand new old stock, made of steel, its not fully as per book dimensions but fits a treat into a standard rear chassis area, as it sits slightly higher than the diff cage but it is 4.5 gallons (approx 24ltrs), it has the fuel "in" pipe in a good position for attaching the fuel hose from either the top of the rear panel or the side of the rear tub & the fuel "out" point sits nicely at the base of the diff cage.

but the best bit of all is the price..............

£29.99 DELIVERED inc VAT

:D :D :D

cheers
andy

dogwood
11th December 2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Andy.
Got a link or an item number?

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Andy.
Got a link or an item number?

sorry can,t do linky,s but here,s the item number 360197921656

the photo makes it look as if it sits high on the end of the tank,(need to turn your head to the side :D ) but the tank actually sits into the chassis area with the long part of the tank as its base....imagine looking at the chassis from the rear...... the fuel inlet pipe would sit on the right hand side just above the diff cage area.

cheers
andy

dogwood
11th December 2009, 09:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360197921656&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3D R40%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D360197921 656%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Looks good to me mate.
certainly cant beat that price...
Nice to see you are living up to your Rep....:)

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 09:26 AM
cheers for adding the link David :cool:
its about time i learnt how to do that:o :rolleyes:

andy

dogwood
11th December 2009, 09:32 AM
cheers for adding the link David
its about time i learnt how to do that

andy

Yes you should.....:rolleyes: :D

Did it come with the sender as well????
Any chance of seeing it in place?
Defo interested in it at that price,
Save me the agro of making a new one..

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 09:37 AM
Yes you should.....:rolleyes: :D

Did it come with the sender as well????
Any chance of seeing it in place?
Defo interested in it at that price,
Save me the agro of making a new one..

yes it came with the sender , tho not sure if the sender is the correct "ohms" or whatever as not wired it in yet, but the sender is new too .

i,ll try & post a piccie :eek: of it in my car.
thats what i thought, saves time making one .

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 09:47 AM
piccies

cheers
andy

ozzy1
11th December 2009, 09:59 AM
Just a note for any aussie builders out there the Holden Gemini fuel tank is a very good fit.

AshG
11th December 2009, 09:59 AM
car is looking nice and dusty :D

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 10:03 AM
car is looking nice and dusty

tell me about it Ash :o :o

the dust is thanks to the work on the single seater :rolleyes: :D
it,ll soon clean up with an air line on it.
did you get my pm Ash?

andy

AshG
11th December 2009, 12:19 PM
yeah sorry i read it then forgot to reply lol

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 12:53 PM
yeah sorry i read it then forgot to reply lol

doh :rolleyes: :D

no worries

andy

mark
11th December 2009, 01:30 PM
car is looking nice and dusty :D

You should see the rest of the workshop :eek:

It looks like daniella westbrooks coffee table :D

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 01:38 PM
You should see the rest of the workshop :eek:

It looks like daniella westbrooks coffee table :D

:D
but its not in nice straight lines :o

andy

Tatey
11th December 2009, 01:48 PM
It may just be me misreading it but the auction says:

This unit is made to be mounted in upright position with filler neck at top so that the fuel sender reads correct as in picture

Does that mean it needs to be standing upright compared to lying down as in Andy's picture? If it does what issues would this cause with the sender? How hard would it be to put a new one in which would work which the tank lying down?

Land Locked
11th December 2009, 01:55 PM

This unit is made to be mounted in upright position with filler neck at top so that the fuel sender reads correct as in picture

Does that mean it needs to be standing upright compared to lying down as in Andy's picture? If it does what issues would this cause with the sender? How hard would it be to put a new one in which would work which the tank lying down?

The after market fuel gauge/senders I've used just manipulate the float arm to get it to suit the tank being used.

So it should just be a case of lengthening, shortening and/or bending the float arm.

That said, i try to set it up in such a way that it shows empty a goodly bit before it is empty.

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 01:59 PM

i had the same thoughts when i saw the pic on ebay, so i phoned the seller & confirmed that the tank is meant to sit as in my photos, so it has worked out ok, tho as i said i haven,t wired it up yet but it is in the correct orientation in MY photo,s .
cheers
andy

mark
11th December 2009, 03:08 PM
It would be very easy to retro fit a new fuel guage sender anyway if needs be

The one from car builder solutions look pretty good

Tatey
11th December 2009, 03:10 PM
Ah that's defiantly good to know. I'll be buying one myself when the time comes.

flyerncle
11th December 2009, 04:07 PM
Much easier to visualize in the car than on E-bay,Nice buy Andy true to form mate.:p

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 04:12 PM
Much easier to visualize in the car than on E-bay,Nice buy Andy true to form mate.:p

i,m just a tight git ;) :D

andy:)

flyerncle
11th December 2009, 04:14 PM
Just carefull !

Get some work done . And before you reply I am now on holiday and going to see Santa in Lapland and will try not to enjoy myself too much.;)

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 04:20 PM
have a great time mate, i,d love to do that with my huskies ;)

watch where frost bites :D :D

andy

flyerncle
11th December 2009, 04:24 PM
" i,d love to do that with my huskies "

Its your fantasy mate but I would not post it on open forum's.:p
Got so much thermal stuff probably wont be able to walk.
Might post some pics if possible from there.
Roadster with spikes in the tyres,theres a thought !

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 04:46 PM
" i,d love to do that with my huskies "

Its your fantasy mate but I would not post it on open forum's.
Got so much thermal stuff probably wont be able to walk.
Might post some pics if possible from there.
Roadster with spikes in the tyres,theres a thought !

weeeeeellllllllllllll you have enough body reserves to keep you warm:p

not like me who would freeze with the first gust of wind :D :D

have fun mate, look forward to the pics

totally jealous of your trip;)

andy

deezee
11th December 2009, 05:06 PM
Any idea if that tank has a baffle in it to stop the fuel sloshing about?

HandyAndy
11th December 2009, 05:30 PM
Any idea if that tank has a baffle in it to stop the fuel sloshing about?

Hi Mate,
no it doesn,t have a baffle i,m afraid but the fuel outlet is very very low, literally a few mm from the base of the tank, i think you,d need to be on vapour to actually run out on a corner.

cheers

flyerncle
12th December 2009, 09:07 AM
You cheeky git (just read your last post):D

dogwood
12th December 2009, 09:10 AM
He's just jealous of us cuddly folk..:D :D

flyerncle
12th December 2009, 09:12 AM
Could not agree more David,chuck him a few pies next time you are up here !:p

twinturbo
13th December 2009, 03:28 PM
Cool, I have asked the seller if he has any more.

TT

HandyAndy
13th December 2009, 03:56 PM
Cool, I have asked the seller if he has any more.

TT

Hi TT,
yes i believe he does have more available ;)

cheers
andy

RAYLEE29
14th December 2009, 04:17 PM
I have one on the way thanks Andy for the heads up
its not exactly how id have made it but it will certainly do till i make another if i ever do
the guy had 2 left when i ordered but it showing as listing ended now
now find me some cheap shocks :D
Ray:)
told the missus i wanted shocks for chrimbo but she misheard and bought socks lol

HandyAndy
14th December 2009, 04:32 PM
hi mate,
i agree with you, as i said in the first post, its not to book spec but it,ll do for now ;)
glad the thread helped.

i got my shocks for free :p
honestly i did:D

cheers
andy

chriseyj
15th December 2009, 01:22 PM
What do you think the weight difference is between this and an aluminium one?
I'm all for a bargain and I have been scouring the net for and alternative to an alloy one for ages and this one is a nice shape, still cant find a boat polyethlene one that would fit though.

Om a side note, are nylon p-clips ok for securing brake and fuel lines? the zinc/rubber ones seem a bit expensive @ £3 for 10?

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 01:36 PM
What do you think the weight difference is between this and an aluminium one?
I'm all for a bargain and I have been scouring the net for and alternative to an alloy one for ages and this one is a nice shape, still cant find a boat polyethlene one that would fit though.

Om a side note, are nylon p-clips ok for securing brake and fuel lines? the zinc/rubber ones seem a bit expensive @ £3 for 10?

the tank is very light indeed, its 3kgs including the sender fitted , i don,t think there will be much difference between this tank & an ali one, tho i must be honest & say its not the same dimensions as per book,

BUT it fits, its 4.5gallon & its new & it was cheap ;) & as you all know my car will be finished within my budget of £3k

as for the plastic p clips....... thats what i,m using with some plastic tubing from an aquarium to "cushion" the brake pipe, works a treat :)
cheers
andy

chriseyj
15th December 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reply Andy. I think I'll see if that guy has any more of those tanks.
I had the exact same thought earlier about maybe putting something in the nylon p-clip to help cushion and grip the pipe. Aquarium tube is a great idea. Did you therefore buy slightly larger than 5mm p-clips to accomodate the tube as well?

Cheers Chris.

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 02:53 PM
yes got 6mm & works ok , tight & secure but cushioned ;)

cheers
andy

chriseyj
15th December 2009, 03:03 PM
Someone mentioned that the tank had no baffle, it's a shame you can't stuff a bit of that baffle foam in there like the racing tanks have, am guessing it would take alot of stuffing to get it in, and the sender wouldn't work:D .

RAYLEE29
15th December 2009, 07:36 PM
Ok, this baffle thing inmho the shape of this tank means a baffle is less necessary than the book tank the bbok tank is prob 8 to 10 inches wider and lower so the fuel has further to slosh from one side to tother also if you put a gallon in the book tank itll prob be about an inch high but slosh it to one side and prob miss the pick up put same amount in this tank and slosh to one side prob still cover pickup (hopefully:) ) anyway well see one day and it is a bargain so a compromise it is

twinturbo
15th December 2009, 09:18 PM
QUICK QUICK QUICK......

Got mine :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-tank-Kit-Car-Go-Cart-Generator-etc_W0QQitemZ360218074599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53deab9de7

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 09:33 PM
QUICK QUICK QUICK......

Got mine :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-tank-Kit-Car-Go-Cart-Generator-etc_W0QQitemZ360218074599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53deab9de7

what ? you bought one?

andy

twinturbo
15th December 2009, 09:42 PM
yep.

I have more than one thing I can use a tank like that for, so if the 7 never gets built then it won't be wasted..

TT

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 09:45 PM
nice one, & for the price it doesn,t hurt the wallet ;)

my wallet didn,t even mind that purchase :D :D

glad this thread helped a few peeps

cheers
andy

twinturbo
15th December 2009, 09:52 PM
I always like to fire up any engine I am going to put in a project on the garage floor before it goes in situe.. This will be good for this whilst I get round to the build...

I hopefuly have a pair of good Classic bucket seats with headrests on the way for £100 too... And a 2.9 V6 for nowt........

Just got to work out how to hide a Big White Sierra from the wife :D .... If I hide it behind one of our MK1 golfs she may not notice..:eek: I think I will make up a small frame for the Buckets so my little boy can play cars with them ;)

TT

Bonzo
15th December 2009, 09:52 PM
my wallet didn,t even mind that purchase

cheers
andy

Ohhhh........You fibber............Spud told me, when you opened your wallet........They found 10 new species of moth :D :D :D

Only kidding Andy, twas a good find & at a good price :cool:

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 09:56 PM
TT, where there,s a will there,s a way :D just tell her the sierra will be worth loads of money in time.............As a Roadster of course :D

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 09:57 PM
Ohhhh........You fibber............Spud told me, when you opened your wallet........They found 10 new species of moth :D

Only kidding Andy, twas a good find & at a good price :cool:

i,ve welded it shut again :D :D

andy

twinturbo
15th December 2009, 10:07 PM
sierra will be worth loads of money in time

The sierra just comes with a spare engine as a bonus ;) it will be worth £££ anyway once it's tidied and MOT'd . Will know tomorrow if project #4 is comming to me.

She's used to looking at sierras... Had 12 of them.. and the 1st one has been with me since 1994... It's not quite standard anymore but has been an ongoing ( not on the road ) project since 2000....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TT

HandyAndy
15th December 2009, 10:23 PM
whats project number 4 TT ?

andy:o

twinturbo
16th December 2009, 11:12 AM
#1 is my longstanding 24V & 4x4 Converted Sapphire
#2 is my wifes MK1 golf ( converted to Polo GT injection)
#3 is my Pug Mi16 Powered MK1 Golf
#4.. Will hopefully be a 2.9 Twin Turbo Sierra 4x4... :D :D

With our Galaxy and 24v mondeo daily drivers it's a bit like a junk yard..

TT

twinturbo
17th December 2009, 10:48 AM
Well..

Not divorced yet.

Don't have a doner engine or a project number 4... And am eagerly awaiting my fuel tank...

TT

davidimurray
20th December 2009, 06:34 PM
Reeceived my tank over the weekedn. Thanks for the tip andy - a cracking bargain. I notice on mine that it is marked Govt surplus - wonder where they came from. Just need to get my motorbike fuel sender in there now.

twinturbo
20th December 2009, 09:32 PM
Hopefully mine will turn up tomorrow..

It will help me fire up the donor engine ;)

Still not divorced but now have project #4 :D

RAYLEE29
21st December 2009, 03:28 PM
Forgot to say mine came the other day bit rusty in the filler but overall excellent and fits my modded chassis too its now wrapped for chrimbo from the kids
thanks again Andy

twinturbo
21st December 2009, 08:45 PM
So is anybody modding the outlet for better flow? I think it may be a little tiny unless a low preaure pump feeds a swirlpot.

TT

davidimurray
21st December 2009, 09:02 PM
Getting a bit geeky - I measure the outlet as being 4mm ID. using a conservative velocity of 1.5m/s - this would give a flowrate of around 1.13 l/m. Looking at Puma Race engine website (http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/carb01.htm) they reccomend about 0.7 l/m/100BHP

That gives the fuel tank outlet being good for about 160BHP.

twinturbo
21st December 2009, 09:25 PM
That should just manage my 150BHP donor engine then.

TT

RAYLEE29
22nd December 2009, 02:22 PM
Well worth upgrading the outlet to take 8mm hose.
If you need a return put one in the sender also need to put a vent in sender as IVA requires a vent.

twinturbo
22nd December 2009, 03:07 PM
So how you going to upgrade the outlet?

The cap is vented.

TT

chriseyj
22nd December 2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks from me for the tip Andy I got my tank today. Payed the guy direct through paypal last week because the one he listed for me on ebay got bought before he had a chance to email me to tell me it was on! Think he sold three in an evening.

It is pretty light am impressed mine also has a government sticker on it, army surplus?

I was wondering what to do about a vent and the size of the outlet not sure if the outlet is big enough to feed my little zx9r engine but suppose I could weld a larger 10mm pipe in place of the current one, looks pretty thin metal though. Plus I only have c02 for mig so hope I wont get porosity/leaks?

Am I right in thinking I shouldn't need a fuel return with my carbed engine. Might lay one in the tunnel for the future though.

Thanks chris.

HandyAndy
4th January 2010, 12:48 PM
sorry for late reply....
glad the thread helped a few members out for the tank, i should,ve been on commission with the seller :D

like has been said, not to book spec but for the money it,ll do nicely for my 90ish bhp cvh engine.

I,m thinking of putting the vent from the aero fuel filler into the filler tube close to the tank body, ....would this be IVA friendly?

cheers
andy

flyerncle
4th January 2010, 04:56 PM
Just make sure it is actually venting Andy or it will suck it flat and vacuum,I think Spuds idea was ace and IVA man friendly.

HandyAndy
4th January 2010, 05:01 PM
ok, cheers Paul, i,ll have a looksy, tho yes i agree...spuds idea seems the easiest & cheapest way :o ;)

cheers
andy

HandyAndy
15th January 2010, 08:21 PM
i,ve just noticed that there are now more of these fuel tanks for sale on "the bay" ....

item number 360226159031

tho i see the price is slightly more as there is now a charge for postage........

£24.99 plus £10.99 postage...

not sure if anyone else wants/needs one.

cheers

HandyAndy
14th February 2010, 04:08 PM
as above post, more of these tanks on ebay, price £24.99 plus £9.99 postage,
item number 220555909809.

just in case any of the new members are looking for a cheap fuel tank, this tank fits the chassis to allow either a GRP rear tub or an Ali rear tub.

hope it helps someone.

cheers

Enoch
14th February 2010, 07:15 PM
Nice one Andy, just bought one of these, I reckon I would have spent near on that making one. Cheers Bloke:)

HandyAndy
14th February 2010, 07:24 PM
Nice one Andy, just bought one of these, I reckon I would have spent near on that making one. Cheers Bloke:)

no prob Enoch, glad it helps .

That was my thoughts too, would,ve cost as much in cash/time & effort to make one, :D

plus......... i like a bargain:o

cheers
andy

james3004
14th February 2010, 07:47 PM
It's gone already!!!! how hard would it be to convert it to use with an injection engine?

GraemeWebb
19th February 2010, 09:45 AM
as above post, more of these tanks on ebay, price £24.99 plus £9.99 postage,
item number 220555909809.

just in case any of the new members are looking for a cheap fuel tank, this tank fits the chassis to allow either a GRP rear tub or an Ali rear tub.

hope it helps someone.

cheers

I am about to buy one for my car. Has anyone had any problems? Is it worth it?

Enoch
19th February 2010, 12:41 PM
I just got mine, I think it will do the job nicely. It is not baffled, if you have an injected engine you will need an external pump, you will also need to weld in an extra pipe for the return. It comes with a level sender, you will need to mod the inlet pipe so that you can have a filler mounted on an external panel. As I understand it the filler in the boot area of the original Haynes design is an IVA failure - Don't know if anyone can clarify this point?
Good little tank for not much money, I reckon it's a lot less hassle than building one from scratch.

twinturbo
19th February 2010, 12:54 PM
If the boot is not enclosed then I can't see it being a failure.

TT

GraemeWebb
19th February 2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the helps guys. Just ordered mine. Get it on Monday.
Main task this weekend is make the front bottom wishbones done and fitted to my BMW uprights. Then mods to the uprights themselves.

Bonzo
19th February 2010, 01:00 PM
I guess if the rear tub is not closed in & left open ( other than a top cover ) it would not constitue a luggage compartment & a filler point within will be OK for IVA :)

We'll know soon enough as Ash has his filler point fitted direct to the tank ;) :)

EDIT

Beat me too it TT

HandyAndy
19th February 2010, 02:38 PM
I,m fitting an Aero style filler cap to the side of my rear tub & connecting it to the tank with the correct type fuel hose from CBS.

The tank sits above the height of the diff cage but is a good compromise for price etc.

the way i looked at it......... it would cost £20 for steel to make the tank, then the time , then the cost of a fuel sender etc......... but yet this tank cost me £29.99 delivered.......bargain if you ask me :D

cheers
andy