PDA

View Full Version : sierra gearbox input shaft - excess play?

onedayTM
15th December 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi guys,
Any mechanics out there. pulled bellhousing off gearbox to aid cleaning and have noticed there seems to be a fair bit of play in the input shaft. there isn't any info in the haynes manual, can anyone tell me what the tolerances might be.
cheers,
tony.

car.mad
15th December 2009, 08:44 PM
what do you mean be excessive play? im only training but might be able to gove you some idea...

any more than a few mm would be bad. at a guess, would say to me bearings

but im only training someone else might know better

Jake

Talonmotorsport
15th December 2009, 08:49 PM
If the gearbox is knackered what will it cost to repair Vs buying another? I was going to rebuild my 1600 cvh rebore,rings, bearings etc then found one on ebay all ready done in bits for 1/4 of the machine and parts cost. If it costs £200 in parts and labour to get the box fixed you may only spend £40-60 on another gearbox. You pays your money you take your chances.........

Bonzo
15th December 2009, 10:04 PM
It has been my personal experience with gearboxes that the cost of parts is usually prohibitive :eek:

Unless it is a cheap off the shelf bearing or Two that is knackered it is usually, way cheaper to buy a recon unit or find a decent second hand one ;)

I priced up some major components for a Capri gearbox a few years back. The total cost of the parts ( Ford dealer prices ) Came to more than the price of a brand new unit, direct from Ford :confused: :confused:

Bonzo
15th December 2009, 10:13 PM
Just read the original post :o :o

Quite often, bell housings are fitted with a replaceable bush. ;)

Once the bell housing is removed, you will notice a fair bit more side to side & up/down play.

If it just feels a little wobbly with the bell housing removed it should be fine. ( The spigot bearing in the flywheel provides a great deal of support for the mainshaft )

If it has a substantial amount of end float or backlash, it'll need looking into.
The same will apply if the gear train soudns very rough :eek:

onedayTM
16th December 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi guys,
thanks for replies, it is up/down, side to side play and not forward/back so I will suck and see as they say and put it together.
cheers.
tony.