View Full Version : bmw donor?

fabrun
16th December 2009, 05:18 PM
hello everyone
who use bmw (e36 316i) part for building the roadster, please
thanks

LeonN
16th December 2009, 10:46 PM
I am. Trying to yous an e30 318is. Onley real hurdel I can forsee is frunt uprights.

graeme.webb1@ntlworld.com
16th December 2009, 10:47 PM
hello everyone
who use bmw part for building the roadster, please
thanks

I am. A 318 e36. Hope to get the basic bare metal chassis completed over xmas. Then trial fit engine/gbox and do mods for mountings.

Have modified the rear uprights to suit modified BMW hubs. Diff mounts altered as well.

Graeme

fabrun
17th December 2009, 02:52 AM
thanks
mine will be with e36 316i

17th December 2009, 02:41 PM
thanks
mine will be with e36 316i

Any pictures of your progress would be great. Also your ideas of mods to the standard chassis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thimp1/?saved=1

aerosam
17th December 2009, 05:17 PM
I'm going slightly madder by using an E34 530i V8 - lots of pics on my blog.

fabrun
17th December 2009, 05:47 PM
i've started (only) the 3d cad here
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3265

LeonN
18th December 2009, 07:33 AM
It is looking good man.
I to am hoping to get the schassis compleat over crimbow. Suspencion mounts this weekend followed by a triel fit of engion and gearbox and diff with the hope of schassis paint befor I am back in work.
But lets see.

Also been intouch with GKD this week, though yet to chat properley. Hoping for some insparation for frunt uprights.

18th December 2009, 09:03 AM
It is looking good man.
I to am hoping to get the schassis compleat over crimbow. Suspencion mounts this weekend followed by a triel fit of engion and gearbox and diff with the hope of schassis paint befor I am back in work.
But lets see.

Also been intouch with GKD this week, though yet to chat properley. Hoping for some insparation for frunt uprights.

Chris did a sketch for the Beemer front uprights (CAD). I too hope to get the basic chassis finished over the xmas hols. I will then turn my attention to the front uprights and finalise the bottom wishbone design to suit.

leon take a look at my latest pictures that show my mods for the BMW diff mounts.

Cheers Graeme.

LeonN
21st December 2009, 04:01 PM
Yep uas and yer. Lol

I have seen crissis frunt upright scetches and have scetches up an idear but need to trig all the angles and mesherments. Thoughthe e30 frunt upright is diferant. I am also thinking of getting some fabed in work.
Seen your diff mods allso. Again though e36 looks good. Hope to have mine in thisyear. E30 diff has one "ear" bushes at the back. Two bolts on the top and two at the frunt with require sb mods. Looking at your pics less fidaling is yoused to acomodate e36 stuff than e30 but I'm a glutten for it.

21st December 2009, 11:56 PM
Yep uas and yer. Lol

I have seen crissis frunt upright scetches and have scetches up an idear but need to trig all the angles and mesherments. Thoughthe e30 frunt upright is diferant. I am also thinking of getting some fabed in work.
Seen your diff mods allso. Again though e36 looks good. Hope to have mine in thisyear. E30 diff has one "ear" bushes at the back. Two bolts on the top and two at the frunt with require sb mods. Looking at your pics less fidaling is yoused to acomodate e36 stuff than e30 but I'm a glutten for it.

Hi Leon Yes I believe that the e30 and e36 front uprights are different. The one thing that worries me is keeping the front suspesion geometry as close as the original. Once the basic chassis is complete I shall work on this and do some layout sketches to check the roll centrs etc. I you want I could do the same for the e30 if you supplied me with a sketch of the upright.

Cheers
Graeme

LeonN
22nd December 2009, 09:25 AM
That wuld be ace. I intended to do the same maths at some point next year. If I come up with the same as you that wuld be good lol.