PDA

View Full Version : Are these shears any good?

aerosam
18th December 2009, 06:37 PM
Guys, I'm thinking about starting to fabricate the ally paneling for my car and was wondering if the thses air powered shears are any good. Has anybody used them? Is there a better version out there?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat106-sheet-metal-shears/path/air-saws-screwdrivers

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone!

AshG
18th December 2009, 06:53 PM
waste of time those. they just bend the ali. i did all of mine with 1mm makita ali cutting discs on the angle grinder. they are £15 a pack of 10 at screwfix which seems expensive but is actually pretty cheep as they last for ages. i only used two discs to cut every ali pannel on the car. they go through it like butter and can give a super super straight cut. you can also get round mild corners with them if you are gentle and take your time

i would assume you already have an angle grinder so £15 is pretty cheep compared to £52 for the airsheers that just wrinkle the edge of the ali

Talonmotorsport
18th December 2009, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=AshG;27309] i did all of mine with 1mm makita ali cutting discs on the angle grinder.

A word of warning here wear a dust mask when grinding or cutting ali as it is very hazardous to your long term health.

aerosam
18th December 2009, 11:51 PM
Well that sorts that one out then - thanks guys!

TSM Locost
19th December 2009, 08:53 AM
Check out Fast tools on the bay. 20 x 115mm ( INOX ) stainless discs for £10.25 post free. Item number: 360182020111. I always use inox as they last longer and cut cleaner on ali.

Merry Christmas and good luck to all car builders :)

Bonzo
19th December 2009, 05:48 PM
Check out Fast tools on the bay. 20 x 115mm ( INOX ) stainless discs for £10.25 post free. Item number: 360182020111. I always use inox as they last longer and cut cleaner on ali.

Merry Christmas and good luck to all car builders :)

Nice find was that, thanks. :)

Been paying nearly a quid each for those :eek:

I was down to my last one & now have some more on the way ;)

londonsean69
19th December 2009, 06:55 PM
I once bought a pack of 100 INOX discs off the Bay. £50 inc P+P. Best bit was, they threw in a grinder!!

I cut thin ally with Aviation snips, anything thicker than 1mm I use a thin cutting disc.

ACE HIGH
21st December 2009, 03:04 AM
I have these shears myself and I find them first class,very neat cut,BUT they need a modification which is to remove the straight air connection at the bottom and replace it with a right angle air connection,this modification will make all the difference as it will allow a better "angle of attack" when cutting.Before I wrote this I thought I had better check them,they will cut 1.2 mm steel and easily cut 1mm half hard alloy sheet,they also cut hard alloy 1.6 mm diameter OK.
they need a big compressor say 12/15 cu feet at around 100 psi though.
For 1 mm alloy a good quality pair of hand shears will do it ok but at 1.6 mm hard alloy its tough going,not as neat as the air shears.
The best tool that I have found for cutting alloy is a Black and Decker carpet cutter,DN 250 electro 8,it does a first class job on 1 mm alloy,the specs say it cuts 1.2 mm alloy max,mine cut 1.6 mm hard alloy easily and neatly but I would not recommend it.It has a variable speed "wheel and flat plate"and it is highly neat and accurate.No matter what method you use for alloy you will need to tidy up the edges with a flat head panel beaters hammer and a smooth file{razor sharp edges}
I have no idea if this carpet cutter is still available(does a great job on carpets also!).
Makita and Hitachi and others probably have plate nibblers at 1.6 mm steel,I have a 3.2 mm version but they are not cheap tools.
Grinding/cutting alloy with discs in my view is dirty,dangerous, inaccurate sloppy workmanship,the edges need truing up and the alloy will heat and anneal and wrinkle.
David:)

aerosam
21st December 2009, 04:08 AM
I have these shears myself and I find them first class,very neat cut,BUT they need a modification which is to remove the straight air connection at the bottom and replace it with a right angle air connection,this modification will make all the difference as it will allow a better "angle of attack" when cutting.Before I wrote this I thought I had better check them,they will cut 1.2 mm steel and easily cut 1mm half hard alloy sheet,they also cut hard alloy 1.6 mm diameter OK.
they need a big compressor say 12/15 cu feet at around 100 psi though.
For 1 mm alloy a good quality pair of hand shears will do it ok but at 1.6 mm hard alloy its tough going,not as neat as the air shears.
The best tool that I have found for cutting alloy is a Black and Decker carpet cutter,DN 250 electro 8,it does a first class job on 1 mm alloy,the specs say it cuts 1.2 mm alloy max,mine cut 1.6 mm hard alloy easily and neatly but I would not recommend it.It has a variable speed "wheel and flat plate"and it is highly neat and accurate.No matter what method you use for alloy you will need to tidy up the edges with a flat head panel beaters hammer and a smooth file{razor sharp edges}
I have no idea if this carpet cutter is still available(does a great job on carpets also!).
Makita and Hitachi and others probably have plate nibblers at 1.6 mm steel,I have a 3.2 mm version but they are not cheap tools.
Grinding/cutting alloy with discs in my view is dirty,dangerous, inaccurate sloppy workmanship,the edges need truing up and the alloy will heat and anneal and wrinkle.
David:)

Thanks ACE HIGH, I have ordered some of those cutting discs frome ebay that TSM suggested as they are the "locost" option. I have been a little concerned as I have always been trained that cutting ally with a solid disc is asking for trouble as the ally may clog the disc, expand and cause it to break - causing injury. However the guys here seem to be using them with no trouble. If they don't work, £10 isn't a big layout and I can always cut other things with them.

I would prefer a proper powered shears as i think it may be easier to cut straight lines with them. For the record I havent tried either method on sheet material yet. I'm hoping to use a big guillotine in work for the large pieces like the bonnet, rear panel etc. However after seeing AshG's work in CKC magazine I don't think I'd call it sloppy workmanship, and I'm not sure CKC would publish a work method that's unsafe.

I can't seem to find the carpet cutters you mention, do you have a link?

Thanks!

Sam

AshG
21st December 2009, 06:03 PM
i tried all sorts of cutting methods on my ali and cutting disc was percect for it. i used proper ali cutting discs not your normal every day ones. ali does tend to snatch a bit easier but if you go slow and let the blade do the work rather than pushing you can get some fantastic results. as for cutting lines straight i dont think you would find a better tool for doing it other than a gilotine or some kind of professional sheet metal work machine.

ACE HIGH
22nd December 2009, 02:14 AM
Sorry,no link or idea where these are made or available,(carpet cutters,)

I tried out a standard metal cutting disc also a diamond cutting disc on both 1 mm and 1.6 mm ,not a good job but in fairness to Ash I have not tried out any special alloy discs for cutting,I am a little "frightened" of disc cutting of any sort, had some close calls in spite of being very carefull over the years.

Also,I forgot the obvious,my Bosch jigsaw with an alloy cutting blade does a good job but not as good as the shears or the carpet cutter.David:)