PDA

View Full Version : Are there any kit builders near Romford

happyjo
29th December 2009, 02:26 PM
I am looking into build the roadster in a couple of months once the weather improves.
I have found a donor car and I am looking into the purchasing of the steel but is there a roadster builder near Romford Essex?
I would love to see one of the cars built, part built or even better just starting.
I am a qualified electrician with the full crimp set and testers.
For any help and assistance given I am more than happy to help with the electrics.
I can weld but could do with a bit a practice first to get back up to speed.
I hold C&G qualifications in Mechanical/Electrical engineering and I am also a Met police advanced driver and assessor.
Yes I tell the pursuit drivers if they are driving properly.

Tatey
29th December 2009, 02:53 PM
It looks like there are a few builders near by you, if you have a look on this map you can find the user names of the builders, im sure they will be willing to help you out:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

happyjo
29th December 2009, 03:37 PM
Thank you Tatey but the google map loads but no icons appear.

I will try another way to find the map, i assume that there is another link somewhere on this site

Happyjo

happyjo
29th December 2009, 03:55 PM
Tatey can you post the google map on here for me, I cant seem to find the icons on the map or any other reference to it on the forum

cheers Happyjo:)

Land Locked
29th December 2009, 04:14 PM
Link to map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103048862376965186442.00047a897e12905ce83e3&ll=54.94371,-1.895399&spn=0.012867,0.042014&t=h&z=15)

Tatey
29th December 2009, 04:17 PM
Sorry about that, i accidentally copied the wrong link as i wasnt paying attention :p. Land Locked has the right link for you.

les g
29th December 2009, 04:42 PM
i think Frankie boy is that way
cheers les g

AshG
29th December 2009, 05:17 PM
adrian reeve is closest to you think he is greenhythe way. frankey boy is london way. im rochester

gundog
29th December 2009, 05:54 PM
im in romford just outside the town in collier row,hope that helps

andy

adrianreeve
29th December 2009, 07:05 PM
Happyjo

I'm about 5 mins from the bridge, so pretty close really! PM me if you want to pop around sometime and talk roadster!

Cheers

Adrian

happyjo
2nd January 2010, 02:58 PM
Gun dog and adrian.
Would love to chat roadster.
I have started to clear garage, but too much stuff.
So purchase of 12 x 6 shed needed first to clear garage.
I have got to work out how to PM on here, so bear with me why I send you a msg.
One quick question though.
I have been looking up prices for steel, do you know of any companies nearby to purchase the required steel.
I have checked W L Cooke and they want £95 for the 25 x 25.

Secondly I would like to test my abilities to cut and fabricate.
Is there a part on the build that can be started first, I was thinking FF but if I buy from Handyandy then there would be little point, is there any other part that you could think of.

Martin

AshG
2nd January 2010, 03:04 PM
do the wishbones :D may as well start with the tricky bit first then everything is easy after.

HandyAndy
2nd January 2010, 03:13 PM
Martin,
as Ash says you could do the wishbones or get yourself a 4ftx4ft sheet of 3mm steel and make up all your CP plates :)

cheers
andy

adrianreeve
2nd January 2010, 05:27 PM
IMS steel stockholders are near you and cheapest by far. Pay cash, that helps too.

Also, pedal box may be a good starting point, easier than the wishbones!

Cheers

Adrian

snapper
3rd January 2010, 03:04 PM
Have a look at Essex Kit Car Club web site

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com/home.html

Lots of different cars and we could really do with more Haynes Roadsters, at least 4 first time passes (SVA), it's a growing club, MNR's, Tigers, Robin Hoods, MK's, Fisher Fury's and a couple of Furore's and a GTM Libra.

Some of us have workshop facilities and can do jobs for you.

We meet in and around Chelmsford but members come from all parts of Essex and we expect to arrange meets in all parts of Essex this new year.

happyjo
4th January 2010, 10:24 AM
Cheers guys, I will be ringing around now for the prices.

Thanks andy for the dimension of the Chassis plates.

I have now found a mate with an arc welder for tacking, so my plan is to make all the bolt in parts before buying the chassis, my garage is not clear yet but once it is then it is only 6 and 1/2 foot wide and will cramped for space.

Think I will start with the wishbones first, I assume i can use the 3mm plate to make the jigs and once finished i can cut up the jig plate to make the small cp parts?

gavinc
13th January 2010, 10:39 AM
Have a chat with Phil at Talon Motorsport before you start buying steel

he does a very nice chassis at a good price

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/talonmotorsport

He's in Essex so can have at look at what you get before buying...

We have one of his chassis with a R1 engine in the workshop now