PDA

View Full Version : How many tubes of PU adhesive do I need?

adrianreeve
2nd January 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi gents,

I'm just about to make a start on the body panels, and to keep things cheap, I'm going to buy my PU adhesive from ebay. I just need to know how many tubes to order. I'm doing ali rear panel and side panels as well as the interior ones.

By the way, buying this stuff, looks good and a good price too!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIKAFLEX-221-EQUIVALENT_W0QQitemZ160388257928QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_S M?hash=item2557e29888

Cheers

Adrian

aerosam
2nd January 2010, 05:39 PM
Personally I just use tubes of automotive bond from my local motor factors. Can't remember the brand name off the top of my head but it's up the garage if you want to know, I'll pop up and have a look.

I just pop down and get some more whenever I run out, and it's only £4 a tube too. He usually gives me a few extra nozzles for nowt as I never use a whole tube in 1 go.

AshG
2nd January 2010, 08:04 PM
i used 3 on the whole car from memory. got it in universal fasteners gravesend for £4ish a tube.

adrianreeve
2nd January 2010, 08:14 PM
Cheers Ash, I'll pop in on Monday!

Peter-C
6th January 2010, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know the difference between Sikaflex 221 and 291 ?

Peter

aerosam
6th January 2010, 08:21 PM
221 is the one you want. 291 is more waterproof but has a low bond strength. 221 is better suited to automotive use, whereas 291 is marine grade.

andyuk697
6th January 2010, 10:24 PM
Personally I just use tubes of automotive bond from my local motor factors. Can't remember the brand name off the top of my head but it's up the garage if you want to know, I'll pop up and have a look.

I just pop down and get some more whenever I run out, and it's only £4 a tube too. He usually gives me a few extra nozzles for nowt as I never use a whole tube in 1 go.

you probably mean this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Soudal-CARBOND-CAR-BOND-310ML-BLACK-940FC_W0QQitemZ220533380791QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B ody_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item3358d056b7

good stuff soudal we sell it in our shop unfortunatly not carbond just silicone sealants

cheers Andy

tkpm
6th January 2010, 10:59 PM
I've always used Tiger Bond, the local car body shops use it as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Tiger-Seal-Tigerseal-Adhesive-Bond-Body-kits-etc_W0QQitemZ290265026369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bod y_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item439524cf41

heres some thing similar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wurth-Bond-seal-PU-Adhesive-tiger-seal-black-x5_W0QQitemZ320429867393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body _Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item4a9b1bc181

Peter-C
6th January 2010, 11:18 PM
Sorry to sound thick but only having sealed showers and baths before, I gather that you do not add the sealant over the joints but that you apply it between and them fix them. As I'm intending to plug weld my floor to the chassis, will this then damage the sealant ?

Cheers Peter

dogwood
7th January 2010, 08:38 AM
i used 3 on the whole car from memory. got it in universal fasteners gravesend for £4ish a tube.

I used the same stuff , excellent selant, sticks like s**t to a blanket.
Handy guy to know as well for all your fixings.
Changed his business name though

Versatile Fastners
128, Milton Rd, Gravesend, Kent DA12 2PG
Tel: 01474 327576

David

adrianreeve
7th January 2010, 10:55 AM
Popped in yesterday and got some, as well as some other bits and bobs. Used them a fair bit before, nice guys to deal with, and as soon as you say 'ooh, that sounds a bit expensive' the two guys have a quick chat in the back, and then give you a new price!

I reckon I'm only a couple of weeks away from a proper rolling chassis, rather than a quick mock-up - very excited!

Cheers

Adrian

AshG
7th January 2010, 11:19 AM
might have to pop round and have a look when all this bloomin snow goes need to get that roll bar to you one way or another so its a good excuse.

flyerncle
7th January 2010, 05:57 PM
Powler, Sikaflex/Tigerseal are basically PU glue and not sealants so once its on its there to stay after its cured.

Sikaflex was and still is a windscreen bond used by all and sundry to "stick things ". There is a primer for it and it works a treat on screens.

adrianreeve
7th January 2010, 07:12 PM
No probs Ash, Thursday and Friday afternoons are usually good for me, as I work from home then. Give me a bell if you fancy popping over, although I really need to come and see your car, as I'm just about to start panelling, and want to take loads of photos if that's ok, bit scared about doing the side and rear panels!

Cheers

Adrian