PDA

View Full Version : Oval Tube

davidimurray
3rd January 2010, 11:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone had a couple of bits of oval tube left over for the headlight supports they would be interested in selling? Also can anyone comment on how long they need to be to meet the IVA?

Cheers

Dave

HandyAndy
3rd January 2010, 11:50 PM
Hi David,

if you can,t get any oval tube then just use some round stuff squeezed in a vice ;)

as for the length.....mine are 12cm from edge of the chassis tube to the center of the hole for the headlight fitment.

cheers
andy:)

davidimurray
4th January 2010, 11:53 AM
Cheers Andy

I must admit that idea had crossed my mind ;)

Bonzo
4th January 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi David

More or less what I done mate ;)

I got a small piece of 10mm flat bar. cut it to the width that i needed, Rounded the edges with a flap disk.

The end result was a rather nice dolly that I could place inside the round tube when it was partly flattened.

This prevented over flattening & distorton of the tube :cool:

I would make you a couple of pieces up but alas....I have no more of the 25mm seamless tube left :rolleyes:

Can't remember the length either & cannot get to may chassis to measure it for you.

140-150mm seems to ring a bell though !!??

HandyAndy
4th January 2010, 09:29 PM
Hi David

More or less what I done mate

I got a small piece of 10mm flat bar. cut it to the width that i needed, Rounded the edges with a flap disk.

The end result was a rather nice dolly that I could place inside the round tube when it was partly flattened.

This prevented over flattening & distorton of the tube :cool:

I would make you a couple of pieces up but alas....I have no more of the 25mm seamless tube left

Can't remember the length either & cannot get to may chassis to measure it for you.

140-150mm seems to ring a bell though

David.......

Ronnie doesn,t have any 25mm tube left cos he made my headlamp stalks :D

& the way Ronnie has described how to make them works a treat...... cos they look really smart on MY chassis :)

Thanks Ronnie, they do look the business :cool:

cheers
andy

Peter-C
5th January 2010, 01:02 PM
Slightly off track but is there a minimum size of tube ? I have 19mm, left over from the rear tub and some 22mm. I don't have any 25mm.

Peter

Bonzo
5th January 2010, 01:27 PM
I wouldnt imagine for one moment it matters what size tube you use to fabricate the headlamp stalks.

Provided It has sufficient strength to do the job & has an IVA friendly radius , whatever you have kicking about should be fine :cool:

Personally, I would say that 19mm ERW round tube would prove to be a bit flimsy, the 22mm stuff should be strong enough though ;)

Peter-C
5th January 2010, 01:35 PM
Cheers Ronnie

davidimurray
5th January 2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the tips guys - will have a play when I get some tube.

If you know the mass of the headlamp, then assume it sees say 4g due to bumps - you can work out the deflection for a given tube size

spalders
6th January 2010, 12:16 AM
Hi David

I have some spare oval to book spec I picked up for free - send me a pm with your address and I'll post you the tube.

Spalders

davidimurray
6th January 2010, 08:00 PM
Brilliant :D PM sent

stuart
7th January 2010, 09:53 AM
hi new to forum try looking at shopping trollys they have some oval tubeing if you find one lying around

flyerncle
7th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Am I right or wrong in thinking this will fail IVA if fitted with 25x25 square for the headlamp supports.