PDA

View Full Version : Build Pictures 5-1-10

Tilly819
5th January 2010, 10:32 PM
Hi all few build pictures here for you all just taken them a few mins ago after spending the night tidying the garage

Tilly

Ps Any body got an industrial sewing machine they dont want .... beer tokans waiting

twinturbo
5th January 2010, 10:47 PM
Looks good.

TT

aerosam
5th January 2010, 10:54 PM
Looking great Tilly, I can't wait till I'm that far along.

Is that a snowflake that looks like you have 2 headlights on 1 side?

How close is your oil cooler to your rad? I'm wondering if you will have enough airflow through the cooler to provide enough cooling as it covers much of the rad. Moving it further away may help. However I may be talking complete boolucks and you may have no cooling issues at all, but I guess you won't find that out till you drive it.

Keep up the good work!

Tilly819
5th January 2010, 11:03 PM
chears

it is indeed a snow flake

as for the oil cooler in it directly infront of the rad, cooling has been a consurn of mine i may well stand it off abit if it is indeed a problem but like you say i wont now till i drive it

thanks for the coments
tilly

Peter-C
5th January 2010, 11:29 PM
Well done Tilly,

The bodywork looks superb. Where did you get the seats from ?

Peter

AshG
6th January 2010, 12:15 AM
roll bar looks nice

oh and the rest of the car :D

HandyAndy
6th January 2010, 07:45 AM
looking really nice, very smart indeed, i like the dash switches that fall within the exempt area of the steering wheel, well planned out :cool:

roll on a nice long summer eh :)

well done mate.

cheers
andy

Bonzo
6th January 2010, 07:48 AM
That's looking great tilly :cool:

Nice work mate :) :)

Hopefully .........That will be another Roadster for me to drool over at Stoneliegh in May :D

Hoybi
6th January 2010, 09:00 AM
Nice one Tilly.
I would have thought that the oil rad can sit behind the water radiator, not in front of it.
The air that goes through the oil cooler may be near 100 degrees C, in which case it heats up the water instead of cooling it. I might be wrong but ask around.

Eddy

spud69
6th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Looking very good tilly,

will be nice to see another one on the road soon......:)

Ryan
6th January 2010, 10:14 AM
Looks brill Tilly. I Love what you have done with the dash!

Tilly819
6th January 2010, 10:16 AM
hi all,

powler: seats came from great british sports cars aka robbin hood

hoybi: i was considering that last night i may well put the oil cooler behind the rad will have to wait and see it would not be too much effort to change.

bring on summer

tilly

happyjo
6th January 2010, 10:26 AM
Tilly, the Oil cooler should be behind the rad.
The Coolant water needs cooling and the oil needs warming.
Airplane engines have to have that configuration because of the high speed, but then again it is a roadster!

Tilly819
6th January 2010, 11:48 AM
Tilly, the Oil cooler should be behind the rad.
The Coolant water needs cooling and the oil needs warming.
Airplane engines have to have that configuration because of the high speed, but then again it is a roadster!

Not quite understanding what you are saying, the camparrison to an aircraft is not a great one if you dont mind my saying.... they infatct in aerospace terms are known as heat exchangers and they tend to be mounted in direct air flow thow it vaires from engine to engine piston, turbine etc etc

the purpose of an aero heat exchanger is still to cool the oil, the engine does the warming same as in a car or any other trye of engine the main differeance is that they can control the amount of cooling by having valving in the oil lines. it is only when opperating in very cold tempretures they the oil becomes too thick due to the cold and this tends to be rectified by line heaters and oil thinners in older engines.

I am considering putting the oil cooler behind the rad NOT to warm the oil but to allow more airflow thew the rad since it is a little on the small side as it is i do not want to be pulling the heat lost from the hot engine oil threw the rad and loose effenciy of the rad I may well fit a small under car scoop to derect flow into the oil cooler as well

Chears Tilly

AshG
6th January 2010, 01:28 PM
nope oil coolers should be in front of water rads as should intercoolers and ac rads.

its much more important to keep oil cool. when oil gets too hot it stops working!! water just expands and overflows then you see steam and stop. you dont see when oil is too hot without a gauge which normally means the oil gets too hot stops working and the shells friction weld themselves to the crank.

trust me been there done it got the t-shirt.

flyerncle
6th January 2010, 06:41 PM
You may find that the oil does not get hot enough unless you are travelling at a rate of knots and a thermostat may save you lots of grief.
Interesting to note that a high percentage of modern vehicles are fitted with a water to oil heat exchanger therefore one heating and cooling the other at the same time and vice versa.

And all the coolers I have seen including PAS coolers/pipes are in front of the rad.

Nice car Tilly,that gear lever looks dangerous .!

thwang
6th January 2010, 08:37 PM
my mexico,s starion and rs turbine all had the oil cooler in front of the rad

AshG
6th January 2010, 09:33 PM
oil doesnt need to be hot hot to work. most car engine oil is designed to be ideally between 60-100degC . thats why they rate them e.g 10/40 5/30

as long as it reaches a temperature within its operating range then it will be fine. its the viscosity that is important not the temp. you need to make sure that the viscosity is correct for the temp range you intend it to run at, thats the key.

have a look on here if you want to know more.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html

i did quite a bit of reading up when i was runing cars with very high boost turbo engines. i had one engine eat big ends on me twice. once i worked out that the car manufacture spec oil was no longer suitable after eaking all the extra power out of it i no longer suffered any big end failures.

anyway this is a build pictures thread and on that point everything is fine and dandy. its good to see that the pictures have provoked a nice debate :D its amazing that on many forums this would have ended up as a flame war, where as on here its a nice discussion with every one chucking their thoughts onto the table.

alga
6th January 2010, 10:14 PM
Yep, excellent friendly forum this, and great pics Tilly!

dogwood
7th January 2010, 08:27 AM
its amazing that on many forums this would have ended up as a flame war,

What do you mean by that !!!!!
Do you want a fight ??????

Nice build BTW Tilly
David :D

AshG
7th January 2010, 11:15 AM
What do you mean by that !!!!!
Do you want a fight ??????

Nice build BTW Tilly
David :D

yeah come on then old man your oil is less oily than mine :D

flyerncle
7th January 2010, 05:49 PM
Trust Dogwood ! One thing that came to mind afterwards was the fact that Tilly's car is a BEC and will be working hard so large oil cooler would be a benefit and I would be tempted to fit a guage.

And your right Ash this is a nice thought provoking forum of like minded people.

dogwood
7th January 2010, 05:57 PM
Trust Dogwood !

:D :D :D :D

flyerncle
7th January 2010, 05:59 PM
Exactly....:p :p :p :p

twinturbo
7th January 2010, 07:55 PM
dear me....... You lot aint got a clue...

The cooler should be mounted in the passenger footwell. It will cool the oil sufficiently in that location without adversley affecting the water system.

And your passengers toes will be toasty warm.

Just kidding... :p

TT

Davey
7th January 2010, 10:27 PM
Passengers....................you're planning on taking passengers???? Won't thatupset your corner weights?:D

D.

twinturbo
7th January 2010, 10:37 PM
It's not as fun without somone screaming next to you :D

TT