PDA

View Full Version : optimised cut list

femster87
12th January 2010, 05:34 PM
Hello guys,
I have just joined the forum today, got the book as a xmas present and i have been having sleepless nights since.
:eek:

Anyways, this is going to be my first ever mechanical anything ( if it succeeds), i need all the help i can get.

first question.
Does anybody have an optimised cutting list for the chassis steel boxes?
Is there anybody builder close to either scunthorpe/chesterfield that would not mind been questioned and if possible a visit to look at the car.

finally, i was wondering if anybody had CAD drawings of all the panels (sides)

thanks
femster

HandyAndy
12th January 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi & welcome to the forum,

why having sleepless nights? :D

there is a cutting list available somewhere, sorry but i don,t have it, tho being honest....if you bought the correct qty of steel you won,t have a problem, the steel is fairly cheap, most folk spend between £100 to £110 on the steel plus delivery.

as for CAD drawings, have a look for a thread by forum member "Fabrun" who is doing some stunning CAD drawings of the Roadster, maybe he could help you out ;)

there is always folk willing to help on most subjects of the build, so if you get stuck then either look in the search facility for similar discussions or ask a question with a new thread,

Good luck with your build:cool:

cheers
andy

Talonmotorsport
12th January 2010, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the forum, I see you have been doing your research since joining this afternoon. I'm sure some one has a complete cutting list on file some where as I don't have mine to hand at mo. If your looking at making the chassis from scratch the steel box section will come in 6-7mtr lenghs about £7-9 each from the steel stockist. you'll need 6 lenghs (1 spare) of 25x25x1.6or 1"x1"x16g box, 3 lenghs (half a lengh spare) of 19x19x1.6 0r 3/4x3/4x16g box . You need a few other off cuts of 3mm steel plate and strip but you'll have enough erm.......fun? agro? head ache? frustration? just making the basic chassis if this is your first project. Having said that most of this car building lark is fun if your that way inclined, if you make a complete hash of the chassis it's not going to cost you the earth as most of it can be recycled or at most it's cost you £120 and some time.

alga
12th January 2010, 08:20 PM
I bought my steel cut in half to 3 metre lengths. I cut the tubes as I went. A couple of tubes needed remaking, but suprisingly little offcuts remained. Every time I had an offcut a foot or so long, I used it to cut an even shorter tube a while later. I used the sparse 3-4-1 inch sized offcuts to practice my welding and do the destructive tests of welds.

I got 42 m of 25x25, 18 m. 20x20, and now have just a 3 metre length each of 25x25 and 20x20 remaining, a 50 cm piece of 25x25 I use as an extension for a breaker bar, and the rest of the offcuts would basically fit in a shoebox. I would say an optimised cutting list is not necessary as surprisingly little offcuts remain anyway. There are many 20-25 cm sized tubes in the chassis that use up all the offcuts that are left from larger tubes.

Ryan
12th January 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi mate. Welcome to the forum. You could buy and cut the steel yourself or you could do as I did and buy a flat pack kit from Handy Andy/Saturn, all depends how much you want to spend and or do yourself.

HandyAndy
12th January 2010, 08:58 PM
:D :o

well, you could do that of course :o :D

whatever route you take, i,m sure you,ll find all the help you,ll ever need for your build from all the members of this forum .

cheers
andy

Enoch
12th January 2010, 10:00 PM
I was going to buy the steel to make the chassis, I had priced it up at about the 150 mark. I then found I was going to need to buy a new saw to cut it with at about another £130. In the end I ordered a flat pack chassis kit from handyandy that posts here. Bloody bargain, cos it's all cut to the right size, marked with part number and the angles, it even comes with a printed overlay for the building table. Think it's about £270 with postage if my memory serves me right. You might like to cut it all yourself but I personally would find it a bit tedious. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Enoch

GraemeWebb
12th January 2010, 10:30 PM
I did the slow route of buying the steel and a saw but if I new about the pre- cut kits I would of gone for that instead. Would of saved a lot of time and bother. Hated doing the compound angles.
Best of luck and keep us posted of your progress.

gingea1pom
12th January 2010, 10:51 PM
It is interesting; I found the cutting of compound angles enjoyable and cutting a few lengths then welding things up a good way to go, it is what floats your boat really.

alga
12th January 2010, 11:43 PM
Me too! I can see the appeal of building a complete chassis in two days, but building one out of several lengths of steel has its own rewards.

Oh, and stop piling work on HandyAndy, give him a chance to finish his car for Stoneleigh :p

HandyAndy
12th January 2010, 11:53 PM
Me too! I can see the appeal of building a complete chassis in two days, but building one out of several lengths of steel has its own rewards.

Oh, and stop piling work on HandyAndy, give him a chance to finish his car for Stoneleigh :p

:D
as others have stated, each to their own, i can see that both options have their own merits, it all depends on a builders timescale, ability , or as Enoch has mentioned offsetting the costs of the kit against possibly needing to purchase extra equipment to cut the steel.

Thanks Alga for your thought of my own build ,my car will be completed ,just not sure when :) :cool:

cheers
andy

femster87
13th January 2010, 08:20 AM
thanks guys for all the replies and support. the build would officially start this weekend. gonna get a quote for steel today

gingea1pom
13th January 2010, 05:04 PM
:D
as others have stated, each to their own, i can see that both options have their own merits, it all depends on a builders timescale, ability , or as Enoch has mentioned offsetting the costs of the kit against possibly needing to purchase extra equipment to cut the steel.

Thanks Alga for your thought of my own build ,my car will be completed ,just not sure when :) :cool:

cheers
andy

My bold

Have I mentioned I am selling my horizontal band saw. Clarky one.

HandyAndy
13th January 2010, 09:04 PM
thanks guys for all the replies and support. the build would officially start this weekend. gonna get a quote for steel today

All the best with your build, post up some photos now & again, we all like seeing pics of builds in progress.

Ginge...... i thought Ash was having your band saw??? if not....erm i might be interested ;)

cheers
andy

gingea1pom
13th January 2010, 10:22 PM
Andy,

We could come to some arrangement I mean I have something you would like and you defiantly have lots of things I want!

I think I am right in thinking Ash would only be interested if I kept hold of the saw until he has built his new workshop, I can’t wait that long

Cheers Ginge

AshG
14th January 2010, 11:20 AM
i want it but i haven't got anywhere to put it. sell it to andy i will just buy a new one when the time comes.